all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Strength Endurance Push Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I loved it. Funny this article was posted, because I have had the idea of seeing if I could do 100 straight for years, and just recently was thinking I should get around to doing it.

There are so many proven strength methods. LSD is pretty self explanatory. How to program for serious numbers in the middle ground, aka strength endurance is something that I feel is hard to find.

I should add, while not doing exactly this program, I benched only 15 pounds less than my max comfortably after not training it for a year and doing pushups in the meantime. I concur with his results based on my personal experience.

Besides, pushups are just so fun, a great all around useful exercise, and you can't beat the accessibility

Awesome article. I was thinking about shifting entirely to strength endurance training for a while and this might have pushed me the whole way.

In my late teens, I really fell in love with push-ups. I could easily do a hundred of them.

I believe it has given me a great base to do physical labour and continue on my strength journey. It was time well spent.

These days? I'm afraid to try out my max. Not only do I weight 50% more, I've neglected horizontal presses about ever since. Time to pick them up again.

Hello,

Depending on what you are looking for, strength endurance can be an interesting routine.

I used to do, 3 times a week:
> 5 sets of pull ups (full ROM, until technical failure, 25s rest between sets, normal pace)
> 5 sets of dips (full ROM, until technical failure, 25s rest between sets, normal pace)
> 5 sets of push ups (full ROM, until technical failure, 25s rest between sets, normal pace)
> 5 sets of rows (full ROM, until technical failure, 25s rest between sets, normal pace)
> 5 sets of abs (full ROM, until technical failure, 25s rest between sets : I went for dragon flag at the time, normal pace)
> 5 sets of pistols squats (full ROM, until technical failure, 25s rest between sets, normal pace)

On alternate days, 100 daily swings.

I got a very good endurance - meaning conditioning - doing this, with also a pretty good hypertrophy. Nonetheless, I experienced a less significant max strength doing this kind of protocol. I also got a quite good hypertrophy and body composition.

Kind regads,

Pet'

Hello,

As an addition to my previous post, it seems that daily high rep sets, done with a "swing like HR" and combined with a proper diet can lead to significant body composition changes and also give a very acceptable level of strength.

Thus, even if this is not necessarily the best reference, J. Statham explains that his routine lasts about 20 - 25 minutes, every day. He only does bdw push ups, pull ups and abs and some squats. He reduces the rests to the minimum.

In terms of performance, he can hit a front lever and a human flag for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Really enjoyed this post as my own goals lie more with strength endurance and upping numbers in bodyweight basics like chins, dips, push ups etc.

Look forward to Pavel's updated thoughts on this (strength endurance) - hoping that a new book is coming soon as he's been quiet for too long!

Daily training, multiple sets peppered through the day - sounds like Hershel was also a fan of GTG!

As an addition to my previous post, it seems that daily high rep sets, done with a "swing like HR" and combined with a proper diet can lead to significant body composition changes and also give a very acceptable level of strength

What do you mean by "swing like heart rate"? Do you mean like spiking your heart rate, letting it recover, then going at it again such as S&S?

When i was just out of college i used to train pushups, bodyweight squats, crunches (yeah yeah i know) and pull ups until failure followed by a jog. while my training has improved i will say my general strength and endurance were pretty good at that time; i also lost a boat load of weight (that may have been the dieting and jogging though)

This is very nice to read at Strong First because I always felt that two handed pushups are a great way to get and stay strong but in the Naked Warrior book I got the impression that two handed pushups are too easy to be valid for people interested in real strength gains. However, when I followed the Naked Warrior programme for two months last summer while away from home, I made sure to daily do 10X10 full range of motion 2 handed pushups also, and in some ways, it actually felt like the true core of my daily workouts.

Like with any other relatively low-weight lifting exercise, I guess the trick is simply to up the volume of repetitions per set and “voila!” you’ve got a respectable strength-gaining and endurance-enhancing workout plan!

This is a cathartic article. Thank you!

It also makes me question the idea that goblet squats are more for mere "mobility" than real strength or strength-endurance. Same thing - why not just up the reps and shouldn't strength gains follow naturally along behind?

Hello,

It is possible to make a two handed push up very hard, simply using a very strong full body contraction, and make it super slow (30s up, 30s down). That way, one does no more than 2 or 3 reps. Of course, it becomes easier if the contraction is not total.

Related to the high set reps, I think, they give a great muscular endurance, and also a certain cardio endurance. Of course, they improve strength, but only to a certain extent. Indeed, When I was able to hit for instance 40 pull ups, I was still not able to do an OAC. On the other side, now I do OAC, but I can go for 20 / 25 pull ups.

This is above all a matter of goal.

kind regards,

Pet'

I think 1h and 2h pushups can be used together in a workout programme to achieve different goals.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom