all posts post new thread

Old Forum Strength for Military Testing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cmm832

First Post
What is the best way to train for military strength endurance tests?:

Max Push ups in 2min     goal of 120
Max Situps in 2min    goal of 120
Max Pull ups, un-timed

Strength training in the 85%-100% of 1RM range?

Stew smith has a book "the complete guide to Navy Seal Fitness" that focusses on achieving the above numbers you have mentioned along with swing & run times.  The book is all calisthenics (no weights) & uses pyramids, supers sets etc focussing on all push up & pull up variations.  The book does focus on sit ups & crunches which have been proven & disproven over the years to cause back problems but unfortunately the nature of the beast is that you will be doing those exercises so you need to become proficient at them by practicing them.  All current strength goals of deadlifting/squating will need to be put on the back burner until you hit theses scores. Once you have met those goals & passed out to a unit/teams you can start strength training again. Al Camper has a programme for that.  Understand that you ARE going to lose a lot of strength going down the path you have chosen.  It's all about muscular endurance along with the never quit mindset.  Your recruiter for what ever military unit you are training for will provide you with a training programme to hit those numbers.

For example, a 225# bench press test for Football players, with the goal of maximum reps...

The training I have used in the past is using loads within 85-100% usually for 2-3 reps over 2-4 sets 2-3x/week---worked perfect.  While the load is significantly heavier than body weight, the goal is the same...get as many reps as you can.

I am curious if anyone has actual experience using this principle? Or what else works?  As, Pavel states..."strength first, endurance will come as a result."

Thanks for Stew's reference, Matt.  Are you Military?

spell in Royal Marines.  The training you speak off what are your scores now.  If it's working for you (you are in 100 rep range for press ups/sit ups & 25+ pull ups) then stick with it.  To be honest I have never heard anyone hitting those scores using the training you speak of.  You are comparing apples & oranges...completely different.  You will never hear a Buds trainee or any SF guy saying I wish I had lifted more weights training for these tests. It just doesn't fit.  Once you pass the tests & enter training & finish the training you will go to a unit where they will work on strength (your body will still be recovering). There is a reason why they issue you a programme....it works.

Hey Chris,

As a Former Marine who maxed the PFT every time for 12 years, I can say weight lifting isn't the answer. Performing Push ups, sit ups, pull ups and running are all that will get you the numbers you seek in those activities. Performing ladders of the activities is the way I kept my numbers up. And of course running for the 3 mile run. I would think kettlebell swings would definitely help with the run, but back in the day I didn't know about them. Hope this helps

Matt, thank You for your service in the forces :)

Jim, thank You too!  ..And how high did your ladders go?  What were your rest breaks, etc.

Thanks for the blog post, Aris.  I've reached out to Al.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom