all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stretching for those muscle gains

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

silveraw

Level 9 Valued Member

An interesting look at the nuances of stretching and hypertrophy and strength. Seems like Pavel and Marty Gallagher were on to something with the intraset stretches for the guns. Also there is a study in there looking at intense stretching post workout and its effect on hypertrophy that seems both brutal and interesting. An hour of intense calf stretching (via orthotic device) post workout resulted in some hypertrophy gains.

I also found this quote to be very interesting:
Similarly, intense, long-duration stretching right before an exercise test may reduce force and power output, but longitudinal stretching interventions may actually increase strength over time (study).

Dante trudel included stretching in his hypertrophy program. Genuinely think he’s pretty much gold standard with hypertrophy. I have emphasised stretching in various guises and note on a very subjective level that I look ‘better’ when I do. Currently hold static stretches for a minute at the end of a strength workout and do yoga every morning. I don’t measure hypertrophy in any objective way so can’t quantify the effect. What I do note is that formal stretching sessions coincide with a lower rhr and an improved sense of well-being that often leads to better dietary and lifestyle choices

An interesting look at the nuances of stretching and hypertrophy and strength. Seems like Pavel and Marty Gallagher were on to something with the intraset stretches for the guns. Also there is a study in there looking at intense stretching post workout and its effect on hypertrophy that seems both brutal and interesting. An hour of intense calf stretching (via orthotic device) post workout resulted in some hypertrophy gains.

I also found this quote to be very interesting:
Going to stretch for 60 or so a night for a month and see what happens.

Yeah, here is Pavel talking about it in an article
Practice one lift per workout, stretch, and get out. Faleev stresses that you must wrap up each strength workout with static stretches. “The benefits of stretching are enormous. Stretching can increase your strength by 10%.

I have used this before....
Chest/Shoulders:
Long looped band held in a Y position (slightly behind me with wrists flexed towards me trying to pull hands to infrokt of me)....this Y position hits chest, shoulders and biceps in a lengthened position.
OR
Bottom of pushup

Lats:
Hanging

Quads:
Squat down on toes, lean knees forwards hovering them just off the floor and lean upper body back....
OR
Reverse Nordic.
OR
Bottom of rear foot elevated split squat.

Hamstrings:
Long glute bridge - feet away until legs almost straight. Tuck pelvis and lift hips. Fires hammies in lengthened position.

Calfs:
Bottom of one leg calf raise.

Richard

Last edited:
It seems that a lot of the comments on this thread didn't really read the article or understand what the intent of the study was.

The study was a PoC study to prove if a mechanism exists to explain stretch mediated hypertrophy, *independent of other hypertrophy stimulus*.

It's not a suggestion that orthotic stretching, or even passive stretching in general, is an optimal way to get buff.

It does provide evidentiary confidence that stretch mediated hypertrophy is a real thing, independent of other variables, such as ROM.

You going to build one of those orthotics like they used int he study?
Yes, one for leg, arm, torso/hip, neck, Sixty minute stretch ( per the study) each part and side, which will take me 10 hours. Started yesterday at 3p, finished at 1a, wake up time is 344a, woke up tired but REAL flexible. :)
I used to do 30 mins. of static stretch post cardio and pre resistance 5 x 6 days a week. I switched out dynamic for static 8 or so years ago and have done very little static stretching since. Sixty eight minutes yesterday afternoon, basic full body, 30 -60 second holds. Woke up loose, pain free. Like I said, 30 days straight to see what happens.

Not doing for hypertrophy.

Yes, one for leg, arm, torso/hip, neck, Sixty minute stretch ( per the study) each part and side, which will take me 10 hours. Started yesterday at 3p, finished at 1a, wake up time is 344a, woke up tired but REAL flexible. :)
I used to do 30 mins. of static stretch post cardio and pre resistance 5 x 6 days a week. I switched out dynamic for static 8 or so years ago and have done very little static stretching since. Sixty eight minutes yesterday afternoon, basic full body, 30 -60 second holds. Woke up loose, pain free. Like I said, 30 days straight to see what happens.

Not doing for hypertrophy.
lol
Well you know, proof of concept studies kinda take things to the extreme to test a concept.

I know they wore orthotics to enable this, because we would likely give up if we were in full charge of this....but that length of time although interesting is not something we could really replicate.

60 seconds however performed daily could happen.

I think it's interesting though to think of the stretching and its effectiveness if done passive or active....eg
Passive hang - just hanging
Active hang - pulling shoulders down away from ears.

Dante Trudel thought the passive hang was the main difference and reason for his Lat growth.

Richard

I’d have to hunt a little for the exact article and study, but Chris Beardsley was citing research which showed that denervated muscles fibers hypertrophied after being exposed to stretch. It is part of the case for mechanical tension being the prime driver of hypertrophy.

I know they wore orthotics to enable this, because we would likely give up if we were in full charge of this....but that length of time although interesting is not something we could really replicate.

You're not meant to replicate it.

It's a PoC study to test a mechanistic hypothesis.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom