all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Stretching

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi guys, currently working towards simple, using the 24kg at the moment.
3 days a week (mon/wed/fri)

Thinking of upping to 4 days though

I want to start doing some stretching twice a week on off days

Im thinking this, which i think is from flexible steel. I found online.

Arm bar twists
Lats stretch
Good morning
X3 rounds

Tactical Frog
X1 round

Prying squat
Lunge
X3 rounds

Would that be good to do first thing in the mornings on off days, i sit all day driving so hips and hams are fairly tight

Thanks

Do you do the stretches from the S&S book? I ask because I did not use them in the past and occasional developed a lumbar strain. Doing them now and I have found them very helpful. I try to do them every night. Another great stretch is Kelley Starrett's couch stretch for increasing hip extension

Yes, those are all good. Should make you feel great, too!

On your S&S, 4 days per week would be good. If 3 days a week is all you do and all you CAN do, schedule-wise, then you might consider doing more work in your session, i.e. total of 140-200 swings, and make your get-ups harder by doing them slower. Since you have recovery days in between, this shouldn't be too much overall volume and may help your progress.

Do you do the stretches from the S&S book? I ask because I did not use them in the past and occasional developed a lumbar strain. Doing them now and I have found them very helpful. I try to do them every night. Another great stretch is Kelley Starrett's couch stretch for increasing hip extension

Ive not been doing the 90/90 and the QL no, ive just been finishing with some windmills.

I was actually thinking today i need to start doing them, i did when i first started but the QL hurts behind my knees, i guess hyper extending slightly when my legs are straight like that?

Yes, those are all good. Should make you feel great, too!

On your S&S, 4 days per week would be good. If 3 days a week is all you do and all you CAN do, schedule-wise, then you might consider doing more work in your session, i.e. total of 140-200 swings, and make your get-ups harder by doing them slower. Since you have recovery days in between, this shouldn't be too much overall volume and may help your progress.

Thanks, yes, well i have about 45mins every morning but so used to woring out 3 days a week just stuck with it.

Think i will definitely try 4 days, i do go running once or twice a week, only 3-5 miles a time as just started, hopefully i wont be over doing it doing s&s the extra day

I just tried the QL, i cant even sit up right with my legs apart!

And the 90/90 stretch i find it hard to sit up straight, leaning forward is fine but sitting up i can realky feel it in the hips.

Definitely need to practice these 2 stretches more

Last edited:

And the 90/90 stretch i find it hard to sit up straight, leaning forward is fine but sitting up i can realky feel it in the hips.

Definitely need to practice these 2 stretches more
On the QL try tightening your quads a bit. That should allow you to straighten your legs more easily

You might start by sitting on the edge of a chair and leaning forward (legs in straddle), and then slowly working your way down over time to sitting on a book, and then finally the floor.

People often lack the flexibility to start on the floor, and they bend at the lower back instead of rotating from the hips.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck!

For the 90/90 I think I tend to bend my lower back. If I didn't I don't think I'd be able to bend forward much at all. Should the lower back not be bent?

For the 90/90 I think I tend to bend my lower back. If I didn't I don't think I'd be able to bend forward much at all. Should the lower back not be bent?

I find this one strange, i keep my back straight but i can go almost all the way forward, i get a pinching feeling in the front hip so i stop but untill that feeling the only place i feel a stretch is piriformis slightly, almost feel like i must be doing it wrong
Just holding my self upright is where i feel the most stretch

I tried the ql again today, belt around my feet to help pull me but i get cramp in my hips in the straddle so need to work on what ever is causing that

Last edited:
When it comes to stretching I would advise a mindset of relaxed playfulness.

Pry a little. Make space. Spread the load. Make yourself taller on the inhale and "collapse" on the exhale. Sort of like a yawning and stretching sleepily in the morning.

Prop yourself up and explore different angles. Tense the shortened muscles and pull yourself actively into the stretch. Tense the stretched/lengthened muscles and resist the stretch. Move in and out of the stretch this way. Then relax.

Move limbs further away in the chain: wiggle your toes, make circles with your feet or hands. Nod your head slowly up and down. Look somewhere else, like over the shoulder.

And relax. Feel your muscles and your CNS unwinding.

I don't think it will hurt you, but it's not the purpose of it. I would avoid flexing the back if you can, as it tends to make you tuck the pelvis also, which shifts the purpose away from the target muscles. Sitting straight up is fine.

I do the stretches on this video, if you skip to 23:10 (here's a link to that point).

@Anna C thanks for the reference to your video! I've been doing the 90/90 and ql stretching but not as long or as deep as I needed. The video really helped visualize the technique! Just finished up doing each stretch using a better form than I had been, the devils in the details, and it's made a huge difference!!!

Glad it was helpful!

The two most helpful things (essential things?) for stretching are 1) breath -- exhalation, and 2) time - wait out the tension.

And, as @Steve Freides once wisely said, "The goal is to relax the muscles, not stretch them."

BTW... notice my "One Complete Simple and Sinster" video has 18,000 views.... Maybe a hint for someone to make a "One Complete Q&D" video...?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom