all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strongashec Russian bear

With some of the exercises it is possible to train with different weights. You can clean 24+28, you can press 20+24.
That being said: I love shopping so I have kettlebells from 4 to 60 kilo, and double kettlebells from 12 to 36.
If you have to buy more kettlebells, you can just as well enjoy the process.

Sets of 10 with the 24’s today. Took my time but managed 5 sets, which I thought was a lot.

Maybe controversial but playing around with a slight knee bend in the clean. So much better imho. Same as snatch, a slight knee bend, and more vertical projection ( Jump ) feels much better. Both hinges, but one works better for me for snatches and cleans

Sets of 10 with the 24’s today. Took my time but managed 5 sets, which I thought was a lot.

Maybe controversial but playing around with a slight knee bend in the clean. So much better imho. Same as snatch, a slight knee bend, and more vertical projection ( Jump ) feels much better. Both hinges, but one works better for me for snatches and cleans
I’m not sure that’s controversial, unless you’re re bending a la sport style.

I guess, the difference is with a swing, for me anyway, I focus on not bending my knees at all, because I want the bell to go forward, but with snatch ( especially snatch ), I want it to go up, so I let my knees bend a small amount, so it’s a bit like jumping when it goes up. It’s still, I feel, 95% hinge though. It’s very subtle. Cleans, I can do it either way, but heavier, it feels more efficient with a slight knee bend. And the bell stays closer to the body.

Could be all in my head too haha

Yeah, don't worry about that. "Hinge, don't squat" means exactly that: as long as you're not squatting, actively lowering your hips, knee flexion is fine. I see people on r/kettlebell being pedantic about it all the time, it's a bit cringeworthy. Here's Geoff Neupert himself talking about how the ballistics involve much more quads than people are willing to admit

That whole AMA is gold, BTW.

Last edited:
I guess, the difference is with a swing, for me anyway, I focus on not bending my knees at all, because I want the bell to go forward, but with snatch ( especially snatch ), I want it to go up, so I let my knees bend a small amount, so it’s a bit like jumping when it goes up. It’s still, I feel, 95% hinge though. It’s very subtle. Cleans, I can do it either way, but heavier, it feels more efficient with a slight knee bend. And the bell stays closer to the body.

Could be all in my head too haha
Understand what you're saying. Knee bend is good. I use a lot of it. Before my cert I thought less knee bend was better, kept tweaking my back; then (during my cert prep) I went and saw Ryan Toshner (I lived not far from him at the time) and found out that knee bend is a good thing. He explained that we want a > shape - the top is our shoulders, the middle is our hips, and the bottom is our knees. It might look more or less open or back depending on proportions.

Check out this screenshot of Louka doing a double clean. That's a whole lot of knee bend, and his technique is fantastic. You can see the > shape he makes at the bottom.
Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 4.55.06 PM.png

Taken from this video:

@marlowe - I actively lower my hips during cleans and swings as that is a purposeful movement. I think I agree with what you are saying as a cue. Especially with very heavy double cleans or double snatches, I am almost sitting down and back - obviously my hips never get to near parallel with my knees, they're still in the > shape. Like I said, it sounds like we both are good with cleaning like what I'm describing, I'm just not sure how you're describing it is best. I think if it is a cue that gets a person to do the right thing, then its great - kind of like "knees out" is a great cue to keep from that valgus collapse in a squat, but we want to focus on it being a word to get an action not a description of what is happening per se... Not sure if I'm making sense.

Great to hear! When I started kbs I’d get a bit confused especially the “ a snatch/clean is a swing that ends up overhead” advice. To me it implies the movement is the same. Which, splitting hairs, they’re both hinges, but to me I feel I do them slightly different. Very very slightly different, but different.

I might try some swings, it may be that I do actually bend a bit, but it just “feels” different ? I think I hinge deeper on swings

Yeah, don't worry about that. "Hinge, don't squat" means exactly that: as long as you're not squatting, actively lowering your hips, knee flexion is fine. I see people on r/kettlebell being pedantic about it all the time, it's a bit cringeworthy. Here's Geoff Neupert himself talking about how the ballistics involve much more quads than people are willing to admit

That whole AMA is gold, BTW.

Geoff’s videos are great. The bells go very much vertical, and I try to copy his form basically. Kind of what led me to not worry about a bit of bend. Feels better.

Heavier bells really highlight the difference imho

but to me I feel I do them slightly different. Very very slightly different, but different.

I might try some swings, it may be that I do actually bend a bit, but it just “feels” different ? I think I hinge deeper on swings
I think swings feel different from cleans feel different from snatch. I think it’s more common to say a snatch is a clean that ends overhead, as there is a bit different from a swing (vertical vs horizontal like you said).

@marlowe - I actively lower my hips during cleans and swings as that is a purposeful movement. I think I agree with what you are saying as a cue. Especially with very heavy double cleans or double snatches, I am almost sitting down and back - obviously my hips never get to near parallel with my knees, they're still in the > shape. Like I said, it sounds like we both are good with cleaning like what I'm describing, I'm just not sure how you're describing it is best. I think if it is a cue that gets a person to do the right thing, then its great - kind of like "knees out" is a great cue to keep from that valgus collapse in a squat, but we want to focus on it being a word to get an action not a description of what is happening per se... Not sure if I'm making sense.
I should have been more clear. See where I say, "as long as you're not  squatting, actively lowering your hips..."? That's where I was trying to say that knee flexion (and therefore lowering your hips) is fine if you're not actually squatting - meaning, moving to lower your hips all the way down. Text-only is limited and Halfakneecap had already figured it out, so I cut my own schpiel too short. Normally when people ask me about their form on ballistics and about the whole hinge-squat thing, I'm either next to them or I go deeper into the details.

What I tell them is, this is not strength, it's power. Your goal isn't to go down or to go forward, it's to get into an poweful position. The bottom of a pure squat is a terrible place to generate power from, and so is the end of a pure hinge. Go down or bend forward to give your posterior chain more or less slack, to accommodate for your anatomy, to get into a more explosive position. I tell people to think, broadly, of a lineman in a three-point-stance, or a wrestler. They don't care if it's a hinge or a squat, they care about having their coils compressed under them so they can explode.

I will say I think it's better for beginners to emphasize the hinge. First, because if you tell a novice to purely hinge (most won't), they can still do KB ballistics. If they purely squat, they can't. Second, because de-trained individuals seem to be very unfamiliar with the hinge pattern. Everybody has an idea of what a squat is, but I find that, for a lot of people, a hinge is that creaky bit doors have.

It does generate a bit of a sanctimonious attitude, and people get stuck in their ways. Later, hopefully, as we all did, they learn form is not static - that it must change under heavier load, that it's actually revealed, discovered under heavier load. It might be counterintuitive, but I think we all kinda already know that teaching and learning in the long run is the process of internalizing rules of a game and then finding out later they were meant to be twisted - or broken.

Last edited:
The bottom of a pure squat is a terrible place to generate power from, and so is the end of a pure hinge.
That depends on what you mean by a "pure hinge" - with how I think of a 'pure' hinge, I disagree 100% with what you're saying. To me, the backmost position of a hinge is where I generate the most power.

-S-

I should have been more clear. See where I say, "as long as you're not  squatting, actively lowering your hips..."? That's where I was trying to say that knee flexion (and therefore lowering your hips) is fine if you're not actually squatting - meaning, moving to lower your hips all the way down. Text-only is limited and Halfakneecap had already figured it out, so I cut my own schpiel too short. Normally when people ask me about their form on ballistics and about the whole hinge-squat thing, I'm either next to them or I go deeper into the details.

What I tell them is, this is not strength, it's power. Your goal isn't to go down or to go forward, it's to get into an poweful position. The bottom of a pure squat is a terrible place to generate power from, and so is the end of a pure hinge. Go down or bend forward to give your posterior chain more or less slack, to accommodate for your anatomy, to get into a more explosive position. I tell people to think, broadly, of a lineman in a three-point-stance, or a wrestler. They don't care if it's a hinge or a squat, they care about having their coils compressed under them so they can explode.

I will say I think it's better for beginners to emphasize the hinge. First, because if you tell a novice to purely hinge (most won't), they can still do KB ballistics. If they purely squat, they can't. Second, because de-trained individuals seem to be very unfamiliar with the hinge pattern. Everybody has an idea of what a squat is, but I find that, for a lot of people, a hinge is that creaky bit doors have.

It does generate a bit of a sanctimonious attitude, and people get stuck in their ways. Later, hopefully, as we all did, they learn form is not static - that it must change under heavier load, that it's actually revealed, discovered under heavier load. It might be counterintuitive, but I think we all kinda already know that teaching and learning in the long run is the process of internalizing rules of a game and then finding out later they were meant to be twisted - or broken.
Like I said, if it’s a cue to get people to move the way you want, great; if it is a description of what’s going on, less great.

That depends on what you mean by a "pure hinge" - with how I think of a 'pure' hinge, I disagree 100% with what you're saying. To me, the backmost position of a hinge is where I generate the most power.

-S-
In the context of the discussion about if (and how much) knee flexion (lowering the hips, 'squatting') should be allowed, what I'm calling a 'pure hinge' is a hinge with the knees perfectly straight.

In the context of the discussion about if (and how much) knee flexion (lowering the hips, 'squatting') should be allowed, what I'm calling a 'pure hinge' is a hinge with the knees perfectly straight.

What you're calling a 'pure hinge' sounds like what I would call a Good Morning. And honestly, you'd have to call that a straight legged or stiff legged GM since most people I know who do GMs - I am not among their number, FWIW - unlock their knees a little.

How to Hip Hinge: Have someone stand in front of a bench or chair then and sit down on it, then have them move their initial standing position away from the bench or chair an inch or two at a time - you'll find your student reaching back with their butt towards the bench or chair. That's a hip hinge. Learn to control the full ROM of the lowering so that you don't fall into the chair or bench but rather can just touch it, pause briefly, and then return to standing, all the while under complete control, and you have the beginnings of how we teach a hip hinge at StrongFirst.

Good that we should try to agree on language for something like this.

To further clarify, a hip hinge has a backmost point wherein you've gone as far back-and-down into your hips as you can. To turn that into a squat means that, to go lower, you can then let your knees come forward and your hips sink further down. You can also squat by pushing the knees forward at the beginning of your lowering and focus on having your hips drop down rather than move back first and then down and forward. The former is what I do when practicing some mobility movements, e.g., the Cossack "squat"; the latter is what I do with a barbell on my shoulders.

-S-

3,5,8 ladders today. I’m not good with ladders, as I just ended up doing 2 sets of 8 reps with about a minute in between haha. I’m not pushing super hard, I’m moving but not killing myself. I managed 4 ladders, which feels like a lot of cleans!

Going well, I like it

Reactions: Ege
In below video Kat is demonstrating different deadlift styles side to side.

The photo below is from that Video,

IMG_4005.jpeg
She has quite a bit of knee bend during kb deadlift, and I believe this is a very strong position. If I were to pull sth with a kettlebell shape from ground for my life, this is the position I would want to be in.

Below a photo of Pavel Macek, demonstrating a Swing. During Swing his knee bend and Kat’s knee bend and Louka’a knee bend (during Swing, not the clean photo above) are almost identical.

IMG_4013.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom