all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Stronger double press than single?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have some case evidence for you. I work with someone that experiences a greater single arm z press than a standing double press. After working with him I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't brace in the core for a single press the same way he does in a double press. Also, his mobility for the double press is better and his groove is cleaner. I contribute this to the muscles of the rotator cuff and scapula balancing better during the double press. I agree with all the leverage and balance comments in this thread but I would also like to throw in there for you ponder the idea of taking off the brakes of a particular movement rather than stepping on the gas harder. If you are using all your active strength just to get in position you have no "throttle" left to move a load.

Just a cue that I have used for my own single presses...
Have you tried crushing an empty water bottle in your none pressing hand during the press? This cue was shown to me and has worked wonders through a process call irradiation.

Thank you all for your great input in this uni-/bilateral discussion! What a great forum! I very much appreciate your points of view, I have a lot to think about now.

Well, based on my experiences and also education/studying I still stand for my previous example of dbl/sgl leg barbell deadlift. However, the issue with two separate resistances like 2 KBs vs. 1 KB is a different story and definitely worth of re-thinking.

The correlation between dbl kb front squat vs. barbell fsq is interesting. Hope someone will find data about this... :)

Just a quick note - I have seen folks Single leg DL (with a barbell) 315 but they did not have 600+ deadlift, and folks that press the beast but don't have a 200+ MP (barbell) so there is truth to the bilateral deficit IMO

Interesting! I have totally opposite experiences w/ my athletes. Usually one can DL 100 (kg) but not 50 by single leg.

Would be interesting to know the background: what type of training/sport history, bi-/unilateral, hip/quad dominant etc etc.

In Return of the Kettlebell Pavel says that just because you can press half your bodyweight in singles (after finishing RoP) doesn't mean you will be able to press your full bodyweight in doubles. After reading some anecdotal cases here I am thinking can it be that at lighter weights it is not unusual to have a stronger double press than single, but as the weight gets heavier the inverse becomes true?

In Return of the Kettlebell Pavel says that just because you can press half your bodyweight in singles (after finishing RoP) doesn't mean you will be able to press your full bodyweight in doubles. After reading some anecdotal cases here I am thinking can it be that at lighter weights it is not unusual to have a stronger double press than single, but as the weight gets heavier the inverse becomes true?
This was my exact thought. I had only heard of a “bilateral deficit” and so was very surprised at my ability for nearly as many 2x24 reps as with one-arm on my left (non-dominant) arm with one 24kg bell. Wonder if it will invert when I get closer to the 1/2 body weight one-arm press.

Today I checked BB Press (with power clean) and KB Double Press and got 8 reps on barbell and 7 with kettlebells at the same weight.

Barbell was easier but not too much, taking into account that I trained barbell press almost exclusively in last months and that I did them first (kbs after an hour so order wasn't that important).

I am curious how this match would look like if I train kettlebells more.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom