all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing 32kg form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

matteo

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi everybody,

first of all, I appreciate this forum and the helpfulness of everyone posting on here. Could you give me some feedback about my swing form? I feel it pretty good, but when I watch my form on a video I'm not sure that I am doing correctly.
Thanks!

@matteo, you have good power! Your setup is good, nice and tight and aligned. You grip is fine, back position looks great, shoulders stay aligned left to right. All good.

So I don't see any problems or errors with your swing but I see some things that could be improved.

I agree with @CraigW, hinge deeper, but here's where you could put the focus. Watch your swing at .25 speed. The upswing is good, but you will see something interesting on the downswing. Your knees bend first. Then the bell swings down. Then your hips flex in response to the bell swinging back. Try to coordinate this movement better -- stay planked as the bell starts to fall and keep the knees locked, quads tight, kneecaps pulled up until the bell is halfway down. Then, all together and very quickly, move your body into the hinge. Do it as if you are getting ready to jump. Hips and knees flex together when you are jumping, right? Do it that way for swings. Then you will feel a better loading of the hamstrings at the bottom of the swing and the timing will be better to explode back up. On the upswing, focus on producing force into the ground, like when you jump. The more force you feel at your feet the more effectively the bell will fly up.

The other thing is relax the arm and let the bell pull your arm straight - it's a little bent at the top of the swing, and straighter is generally bettter.

Hope that helps... let me know if any questions. Very nice work overall!

Hi everybody,

first of all, I appreciate this forum and the helpfulness of everyone posting on here. Could you give me some feedback about my swing form? I feel it pretty good, but when I watch my form on a video I'm not sure that I am doing correctly.
Thanks!

This could help. And also ck. out Mr. Horton's Timing the Hinge vid.

The other thing is relax the arm and let the bell pull your arm straight - it's a little bent at the top of the swing, and straighter is generally bettter.
You might want to consider this fix (keeping arm straight) a priority. This will have a tremendous influence on the your timing within the swing. This may help fix other issues as well.

When you bend your arm in a swing, you are effectively shortening the pendulum, which will make the time duration of a swing shorter. You are also cheating your self out of all that wonderful centrifugal force that will make your posterior chain stronger.

Your knees bend first. Then the bell swings down. Then your hips flex in response to the bell swinging back. Try to coordinate this movement better
Thank you very much Anna, I bend my knees too early and I never noticed it before.. As usual you're a great, I will work on it.
I found the way down very tricky because it's a very fast movement and it is hard to be conscious of the little details, but I'll work on my coordination.

You might want to consider this fix (keeping arm straight) a priority. This will have a tremendous influence on the your timing within the swing. This may help fix other issues as well.

When you bend your arm in a swing, you are effectively shortening the pendulum, which will make the time duration of a swing shorter. You are also cheating your self out of all that wonderful centrifugal force that will make your posterior chain stronger.
You're right Papa Georgio, but the weird thing is that they are relaxed also if bended.
Anyway I'll work on it, I'll film myself more often it's the only way to notice these mistakes
Thanks again

Thank you very much Anna, I bend my knees too early and I never noticed it before.. As usual you're a great, I will work on it.
I found the way down very tricky because it's a very fast movement and it is hard to be conscious of the little details, but I'll work on my coordination.

You're welcome! One way to develop a new pattern is to do it in slow motion one or two times through just prior to each set of swings.

Your Kettlebell Deadlift could also be a good way to groove the different pattern before your swings.
Video of your KB DL would be good to see.
A (potentially) different way to look at Anna's great advice is that you have a very "knee" driven swing (look at how your extend on the concentric) and need to get into your hips much more.

you have a very "knee" driven swing
Thank you very much Brett Jones, your feedback is very important for me.
I suspected that I put too effort in the knees than in the hips, sometimes, fortunately not so often, I feel a little pain on my knees.
Thanks again, very useful!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom