all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing & Bottom up press (or clean & press) as a complete/fundamental program ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrej SK

Level 4 Valued Member
Dear colleagues,

I would like to know your opinion. Do you think that KB swings completed by bottom up KB press (or even integrated together as a bottom up swing clean and press) can be considered a fundamental program such as S&S, ROP or naked warrior ?

In my little home office it's much easier for me to GTG bottom up press than TGU. However, The bottom up press reminds me TGU a bit, because it's pleasant to my hurting shoulder and I feel the whole body pretty tensed when doing it.

If doing Swings and Bottom up Press on a long term basis only, would it serve the purpose of GPP or would there be anything significant missing (you know im always worried about that muscle imbalance...)

Thanks a lot for your opinions !

Just to add one more thing, Pavel in his book ETK states that Swing is like a "carpet bombing" and overhead press tacticaly completes the rest :) and from my opinion the bottom up military press engages even more muscles and creates higher tension in the body...

If doing Swings and Bottom up Press on a long term basis only, would it serve the purpose of GPP or would there be anything significant missing (you know im always worried about that muscle imbalance...)

They are great. I did it for some months around end of last year. Cleans, squats, presses, some double work and went quite heavy with them UNTIL out of a sudden I got the tennis elbow back(only on my right, had it there almost 15years back) which is latent still there. It is my fault. To much volume, to heavy, or both.

Be sure that you stretch your fingers/hands often, maybe as often as after each set, or use a rubber band as light resistance to open your fingers against (never used it, though).

It is advised frequently with high tension drills (grip intense stuff), to use them cautiously, easing into it (low load, low volume), because it is strong medicine.

Your issue with your shoulder has to be cleared in some way.

on grease the groove

@Andrej SK, do you mean that the regular military press bothers you shoulder, but the BU press does not? If so, there is something wrong with your regular MP. The BU press is a little more self-correcting, but the basic groove should be about the same. I would ask, what does pressing bottom up force you to do that you are not doing in your regular press, and how can you emulate that in your regular press?

As for doing a high volume of BU presses as your main press training, I agree with @Harald Motz: a great drill, but use in moderation. Plus, I also agree with his suggestion to try to address what is going on with your shoulder.

Hi guys, thank you for your responses. However, my main issue right now is not that shoulder discomfort (although i feel BU press more convenient as i do it with lower weight and the imbalance doesnt let me doing incorrect movement), but i would like to know if such program swings plus overhead press can be considered a balanced program same as S&S. Doing OH presses (BU or regular) is just more convenient for me than TGU due to small room in my office :) and i also enjoy it more...thanks for opinions ;)

Do you think that Bent Press would be better complementary exercise to swings than millitary press ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom