all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swing Hard 1.0 - reflections

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mvikred

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I just completed Swing Hard 1.0. I wasn't aware of this Swing focused program until someone referred to it in one of the posts. I was trying to build a strong base using swing and this was timely. It was a quick DM to Geoff and a few suggestions from him and I got started. While it does suggest that I start with 2H swing, I was too eager and wanted to work on my 1H swing to get the timed Simple as a first milestone. Here are a few reflections I had from the program

1. The volume sneaks up on you, starting with 100 reps and ending with 200 reps in the allotted time block !
2. While the early weeks had my HR stay in the aerobic zone, the 2nd half of the program often pushed my HR into anaerobic zone. I realised I wasn't training at all in this zone, so the first few weeks when this started happening, it was tough. But slowly my body adjusted to it. I do feel my conditioning has gone up quite a bit during the past 2 months.
3. In the last couple of weeks, my grip was challenged quite a bit, especially towards the last 3-4 sets. I made sure I did not do anything to compromise my grip on the day I had Swing Hard
4. I started with 32kg KB and for most part I managed to deliver power throughout to get the bell to the chest height, but I felt the swings would've been snappier had I chosen the 28kg. But now that I am done I am happy I picked up the 32kg. At some point I will run this again with the 32kg and maybe compare how things change.
5. I was used to the breathing of 1 exhale at the top of the swing and at the beginning of the back swing take 2 sips of air. I remember hearing about this by Pavel Macek on the Breakthrough Secrets podcast and have ever since changed my breathing pattern. But I modified the timing of the 2 sips as I wasn't doing it right. And this activated my core a lot more as I already had sipped in air and core braced on the way down. This was. game changer. Not a result of Swing Hard but the benefit of training one movement for long sets as we have so much opportunity to fine tune and tweak several aspects.
6. Unsurprisingly I had a great carry over to my grip. My forearms were pretty much like a rock by the end of the workout. This also helped my confidently single arm swing a 40kg KB, with proper form. This was a challenge before I started this program.
7. Also because I was swinging so much volume I started getting a great sense of my cadence and how small changes in my technique can impact the cadence, e.g. if I did an overspeed eccentric then I always saved 2-3 seconds when I was doing sets of 10.

I realised that I want to do this regularly as an add-on to my workouts. But the 20 mins might be too much, so I'm thinking I do it for 10 mins and switch between 2H Swings, 1H Swings, and Double KB Swings every other week or so. While I run other programs, I do want to continue working the swings and strengthening the base.

It goes without saying that I would recommend this for anyone who is looking to build a strong base.

@mvikred - Thanks for the very thorough review!

And congrats on your successes with the program.
I plan to run the 2H swing version next time (or maybe as a tag on to my other workouts by condensing the work duration). I know it won't be exactly your programs and it will end up being a derivative of your program. Curious how you thought about the weight when designing 10 rep sets OTM (or even 20 rep sets OTM). Did you have like a 48kg bell for 2H swings for 1.0 as good standard? Curious about how much weight is good enough :)

Love the write-up! Well done.

Did you notice any effect on your other lifts? Double cleans, for example? And any body comp changes?

Love the write-up! Well done.

Did you notice any effect on your other lifts? Double cleans, for example? And any body comp changes?
I'm always a bit cautious about body comp changes as a lot is dependent on nutrition and I don't think I have that under control :) but I can tell you that I always felt my core slightly sore (like the good burn) after every workout.

However, here's what I have observed. My conditioning and strength endurance has definitely improved. I could never think of doing 100 snatches with 28kg KB, now I've done that a few times in the last two weeks. I was able to last week in 20 minutes. I have seen similar benefits with my double cleans. Could never get the double 32s to clean confidently. now I can do sets of 5 reps with double 32 cleans.

@mvikred - Thanks for the very thorough review!

And congrats on your successes with the program.

Dear Neupert;

I know you have other programs focused on Hyperthrophy. But I wonder the possible hypertrophy outcome of your Swing Hard.

Would you consider the protocol(s) as hypertrophic for KB Swings?

Would you recommend Swing Hard as a KB Swing program that has hyperthrophy element in it as well? Considering I am a novice.

Best;

Ege

Dear Neupert;

I know you have other programs focused on Hyperthrophy. But I wonder the possible hypertrophy outcome of your Swing Hard.

Would you consider the protocol(s) as hypertrophic for KB Swings?

Would you recommend Swing Hard as a KB Swing program that has hyperthrophy element in it as well? Considering I am a novice.

Best;

Ege
Quoting Geoff himself from a podcast episode years ago

"The same program you use for hypertrophy can also work for fatloss and vice versa. What it boils down to is how you eat"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom