all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swings only for general fitness

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

HoustonTexan

First Post
Hi there, I’m pretty new to this community but not new to strength training. For many years I’ve been into barbell training and have had some pretty big lifts including 3/4/5 plate bench/squat/deadlift for reps. With that being said, I’ve suffered a few nagging aches and pains over the years. I’ve done kettlebell swings off and on during that time. I really love the movement. I’ve tried other movements like TGUs and I just don’t like them like I do swings. Now that I’m a father, I’ve found that my time is rather limited. I was thinking of a general fitness plan around swings and rucking as these are the things that I enjoy the most these days. My question is do you think this will give me a reasonable baseline level of fitness? All I really want to do at this point is play with my kids, go hiking, and not blow my back out when lifting/carrying things. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

That would give you a great baseline for fitness.

My suggestion is to check out Original Strength and try their baby crawling / leopard crawling.

Ever since I discovered crawling, my body just cannot get enough of the movement. It fixes so many things and builds some crazy strength and endurance. It's the perfect compliment to swings because together they hit absolutely every muscle in the body. And, unlike the TGU, it's hard to screw up, even when you're fatigued. Just keep your butt down, your chest big and your eyes on the horizon.

Crawling, swings and rucking would turn you into a real beast.

That would give you a great baseline for fitness.

My suggestion is to check out Original Strength and try their baby crawling / leopard crawling.

Ever since I discovered crawling, my body just cannot get enough of the movement. It fixes so many things and builds some crazy strength and endurance. It's the perfect compliment to swings because together they hit absolutely every muscle in the body. And, unlike the TGU, it's hard to screw up, even when you're fatigued. Just keep your butt down, your chest big and your eyes on the horizon.

Crawling, swings and rucking would turn you into a real beast.
Thanks! Would a swing/crawl workout be good? Basically doing swings and crawling in a circuit.

Hi there, I’m pretty new to this community but not new to strength training. For many years I’ve been into barbell training and have had some pretty big lifts including 3/4/5 plate bench/squat/deadlift for reps. With that being said, I’ve suffered a few nagging aches and pains over the years. I’ve done kettlebell swings off and on during that time. I really love the movement. I’ve tried other movements like TGUs and I just don’t like them like I do swings. Now that I’m a father, I’ve found that my time is rather limited. I was thinking of a general fitness plan around swings and rucking as these are the things that I enjoy the most these days. My question is do you think this will give me a reasonable baseline level of fitness? All I really want to do at this point is play with my kids, go hiking, and not blow my back out when lifting/carrying things. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Yeah, absolutely. The swing is money for nothin. You definitely won’t lose any strength either. I’ve just started Swing hard 3.0. I’m doing it once a week as conditioning while doing KB strong as my main goal. I haven’t done swings in a few months and while it’s not as fancy as KB snatch ( I’m learning now ) it’s such an easy movement with a lot of bang for your buck imho.

You could easily do 1or 2 rucking days and 2 swing days and get the results you are looking for.

Yeah, absolutely.
Agree completely.
You definitely won’t lose any strength either.
Well... I don't know.
You could easily do 1or 2 rucking days and 2 swing days and get the results you are looking for.
Agree completely.

To the OP, I think swings and rucking are awesome and if you're looking for general fitness, then HECK YEAH! But, you're not going to maintain those barbell numbers (and probably muscle mass) without, well, barbell work and I'm sure you're aware of that.

Thanks! Would a swing/crawl workout be good? Basically doing swings and crawling in a circuit.
Hell yes. I did that for a long time and the results were fantastic. Just make sure you're leopard crawl form is as perfect as your baby crawl form (and make sure your baby crawl form is perfect before you try leopard crawls).

Agree completely.

Well... I don't know.

Agree completely.

To the OP, I think swings and rucking are awesome and if you're looking for general fitness, then HECK YEAH! But, you're not going to maintain those barbell numbers (and probably muscle mass) without, well, barbell work and I'm sure you're aware of that.
Fair point about strength, I was referring to swing strength after a long lay off. I didn’t lose any, but you’re right, swings won’t maintain a big barbell lift. You won’t be weak in general though

In addition to the advice above, check out this article on minimalist deadlifts for maintaining max strength alongside doing swings

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I’m going to just stick to swings and rucking for now. If I do feel like making progress toward something I may get into kettlebell sport later as that does seem interesting to me and aligns with my general fitness goals.

Reactions: Kev
I might have a look at Neupert's The One Program. Essentially you do double swings. EMOM for 10 min, reducing the rest time and increasing the work time, each minute.

Could probably be done with a single bell. Point being more on increasing the work done in that 10 min. Would fit with a busy schedule and someone who wants to combine a swing program with other lifting.

When I go to the gym, instead of doing the StairMaster, I'll do 20 swings after each set. Lucky to have a 28 kg there. I might be the only one who uses it! Machine workout: Chest press Lat Pulldown Rows, Tricep press down or dips, Curls. 15 sets of 20 is 300 swings. Great way to get conditioning in.

I have to think really hard of an exercise I hate so much that I'd rather do StairMaster.
Hahaha!!! No doubt! The stairmaster and/or weighted step-ups are the worst. However, for hiking or trail running they’re highly efficient and cross over perfectly. Therefore I’m the on the SM or box when preparing for a summit or event.
@BrianCF I’m with you on the 28kg swings between sets; that’s my sweet spot.

Hahaha!!! No doubt! The stairmaster and/or weighted step-ups are the worst. However, for hiking or trail running they’re highly efficient and cross over perfectly. Therefore I’m the on the SM or box when preparing for a summit or event.
@BrianCF I’m with you on the 28kg swings between sets; that’s my sweet spot.

I love hiking.

It's the monotony and grinding whine of the StairMaster that drives me nuts.

Ugh.

I have to think really hard of an exercise I hate so much that I'd rather do StairMaster.

Maybe burpees?

Nah, I'd still take hated burpees over Stair Master.
The longer I train, the weirder I begin to believe I am. I like the Stair Master. In fact, given a choice of most cardio machines, I'd take a Stair Master over just about anything else. I've never tried a Versa Trainer, but I imagine I'd like that too.

The longer I train, the weirder I begin to believe I am. I like the Stair Master. In fact, given a choice of most cardio machines, I'd take a Stair Master over just about anything else. I've never tried a Versa Trainer, but I imagine I'd like that too.

TBH, I haven't tried Stair Master in a decade.

Maybe in my dotage I'd like it.

In addition to the advice above, check out this article on minimalist deadlifts for maintaining max strength alongside doing swings

I agree here. The strength of the StrongFirst system is the inclusion of all modalities of training. The Tactical Strength Challenge is a perfect example. Pullup, snatch, deadlift. Aleks Salkin SFG 2 is big on adding Original Strength and Gait pattern exercises. There is something gamechanging about barbell work and double KB work. I think the deadlift is sufficient if you are doing double KB front squats.

After years of trial and error, this is what I have boiled it down to for general physical fitness, return on investment and time constraints, busy working dad life at age 53.

Crawling, walking (almost daily) rucking (weekly, seasonal) Gait pattern. Walking is essential.
Quality sleep.
Original Strength resets + mobility YWTL, hip bridge, hip flexor, face pull, Cossack squat. Mistake to neglect.
Bodyweight: Pullups, dips (recent addition, not emphasized enough), pushups, inverted rows. Seems to help with aches and pains. I feel better using all modalities than only weight training.
Balancing with strength exercises, single leg deadlift, scales, split squats, bottom ups KB holds,
L-sit progressions (for all kinds of reasons)
Alternating swings and snatching paired with bodyweight options. TGUs are great but I don't have a good place to do them or I would.
Double KB front squat pair with bodyweight
Double KB Clean and Press The Giant Geoff Neupert
Passive and active hanging
grip, forearm, calf, isolation work separate from main workout
Deadbugs and hanging leg raises
Deadlift (once a week, seasonal)
Isometrics, horse stance, top position dip hold, etc. rotate throughout the year.

Even Pavel says somewhere family and job first then train.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom