all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Tactical Strength Challenge Programming

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JakeFHC

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all - I know this is the kettlebell forum, but figured I would post this here since it applies to many facets of training. For those of you that have competed in or are planning on competing in the Tactical Strength Challenge, how are you programming your training?

I competed in a couple powerlifting completions about 10 years ago, but have since gotten out of shape and the TSC looks like a great competition to get back into the groove of training while also having a conditioning element which seems interesting. I am a novice with kettlebells so I have my work cut out for me in the snatches (and deadlift and pull-ups for that matter!), but have some time to prepare as I don’t plan on competing until the Spring 2022 TSC. Even though the TSC doesn’t have a squat or press, I would like to train them. The simplest combination I have come up with is RoP with a squat movement and deadlifts on variety days, pretty much like the Q&A says in Enter the Kettlebell.

I appreciate any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences!

To give you better insight what are you baseline numbers in the events?
Hi Mark - My current numbers are below:

- Deadlift: I haven’t deadlifted in about two years, but I will test this weekend and report back. My estimation is about 300 lbs.
- Thumbless Grip Pull ups: 3
- KB Snatch: 75 in 5 min with a 40 lb KB. I don’t feel strong enough with the 24kg at this point to due a timed test, but can manage some sloppy reps with the 24.
- Bodyweight is between 205 and 210 lbs

Lot of work to do as you can see…

Hi Mark - My current numbers are below:

- Deadlift: I haven’t deadlifted in about two years, but I will test this weekend and report back. My estimation is about 300 lbs.
- Thumbless Grip Pull ups: 3
- KB Snatch: 75 in 5 min with a 40 lb KB. I don’t feel strong enough with the 24kg at this point to due a timed test, but can manage some sloppy reps with the 24.
- Bodyweight is between 205 and 210 lbs

Lot of work to do as you can see…

Lots of work but it's a good start..

Have you tried getting some coaching to help dial in your form??

@Derek Toshner is not only a TSC beast himself, but evidently has a lot of experience training others to prepare for it, so he has a good sense of what has been successful for a variety of people, and has written a bunch of articles here on the site.

I don't have any personal experience with the TSC or the training plans in his articles, but if I was 12 weeks out and wanted a proven plan I could just follow with confidence instead of trying to reinvent my own wheel, I would probably follow something from Derek's articles.

Derek Toshner Articles

Well I tested deadlift today and was pleasantly surprised. I worked up to 2 sets of 275 lbs x 5 reps, with at least a rep in the tank on each set, so I would say my max is around 315.

Lots of work but it's a good start..

Have you tried getting some coaching to help dial in your form??

I have not explored any coaching at this point. Not a bad idea though…

@Derek Toshner is not only a TSC beast himself, but evidently has a lot of experience training others to prepare for it, so he has a good sense of what has been successful for a variety of people, and has written a bunch of articles here on the site.

I don't have any personal experience with the TSC or the training plans in his articles, but if I was 12 weeks out and wanted a proven plan I could just follow with confidence instead of trying to reinvent my own wheel, I would probably follow something from Derek's articles.

Derek Toshner Articles
Thank you Steve! I will check out Derek’s articles.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom