all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Technique question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anothercascade0

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello, nice to meet you all. Just signed up for this forum to ask a question.
I have been training with kettlebells since my high school wrestling days, around 9 years ago. I have found that these are great for athletic performance, works wonderfully combined with calisthenics. Here’s my question:
So for the past decade, when I am performing kettlebell 2 hand swings I always keep my grip tight the whole time, like a hard squeeze similar to how you would grip a heavy barbell on a deadlift. I have come across some sites and articles that say you should hook Grip the bell, not squeeze. Also, whenever I am doing cleans or snatches I will also squeeze the kettlebell hard until it starts trajectory up to allow rotation at the top then I’ll loosen the grip. Would you consider my method of grip for swings, cleans and snatches described above poor technique that I need to change to a hook grip, or is it fine to hold on tight sometime?

hook Grip the bell, not squeeze.
“Hook grip” means different things in different places. The expression is used by Olympic lifters to mean fingers “hook” over the thumb, and by Girevoy Sport athletes to mean thumb “hooks” over the index finger. Without further explanation of what you’ve been reading, and without seeing what you’re doing, it’s difficult to say more.

-S-

So for the past decade, when I am performing kettlebell 2 hand swings I always keep my grip tight the whole time, like a hard squeeze similar to how you would grip a heavy barbell on a deadlift.

Whether barbells or kettlebells, I don't grip ballistics and grinds the same.

For ballistics, I keep a much looser grip after the initial pull.

Last edited:
Hello, nice to meet you all. Just signed up for this forum to ask a question.
I have been training with kettlebells since my high school wrestling days, around 9 years ago. I have found that these are great for athletic performance, works wonderfully combined with calisthenics. Here’s my question:
So for the past decade, when I am performing kettlebell 2 hand swings I always keep my grip tight the whole time, like a hard squeeze similar to how you would grip a heavy barbell on a deadlift. I have come across some sites and articles that say you should hook Grip the bell, not squeeze. Also, whenever I am doing cleans or snatches I will also squeeze the kettlebell hard until it starts trajectory up to allow rotation at the top then I’ll loosen the grip. Would you consider my method of grip for swings, cleans and snatches described above poor technique that I need to change to a hook grip, or is it fine to hold on tight sometime?
This may or may not be helpful, but I hook my thumb over the index finger and hold a grip that provides a minute hollow, so I'm not squeezing the handle of the KB, but I visualize if the bell handle were to expand by even a millimeter, I would then be squeezing it. So squeeze your hand but not the bell. Does that make sense? I hope so. If not, my apologies.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom