all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Test day in ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good thread. I have been running rop with the 24kg bell for a few months.
Did the test day today inspired by this thread (and I've never tried one before except at the cycle end / didn't recall that section of the book). Anyway, got 5 press reps on each arm with the 28! It was not easy and a sixth was not happening on either arm so it was a rm.

So I should restart with the 28 according to the book. Just unsure whether to, as I can still see 5x5 ladders with 24kg being a challenge and maybe lead to more gains in conditioning, body comp, work capacity. What to do?
I’d go up in weight just because you will spend a lot of time and volume at the higher weight before you move up again.

But then again I did it with 8kg jumps and not the 4kg you have. So I spent more time with the lower weight to build up to the bigger one

Thanks for the replies chaps. Just an update - after my successful test at 24kg I did go up in weight last week to 28kg. Medium and light days were ok but on the heavy day (3x 123) I did the first ladder then went back to 1,2s for the next 2. I will redo the week next week as the bell feels very heavy and I decided not to risk failed reps. I would have had to be 100% technique wise on each rep to finish and want quite there.

So for me are least, the test day results didn't mean moving up a bell size would be assured. But there is no going back, it's brute strength I need to improve :)

So for me are least, the test day results didn't mean moving up a bell size would be assured. But there is no going back, it's brute strength I need to improve :)
If you haven’t recently, please post a video of your press. One or two reps on each side with each of the two weights and question would be great.

-S-

Thanks for the replies chaps. Just an update - after my successful test at 24kg I did go up in weight last week to 28kg. Medium and light days were ok but on the heavy day (3x 123) I did the first ladder then went back to 1,2s for the next 2. I will redo the week next week as the bell feels very heavy and I decided not to risk failed reps. I would have had to be 100% technique wise on each rep to finish and want quite there.

I think this is very well in the spirit of ROP. Take longer rest and use easier ladders if you need to. Heavy weight is instructive. You might find some power leakages. Good luck.

If you are stuck with just 1 ladder at 28kg try maybe @Pavel Macek Rop-H and seek guidance for your presses sometimes little fine tune adds up to big changes in the long rub!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom