all posts post new thread

Barbell Testing 1RM on multiple lifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I've been training barbell for 11 weeks now using Wendler's 5/3/1 program to get stronger and help prepare for SFL in Oct 2017. Looking for advice on the best way to test my current 1RM on the following:
  • Overhead/military press
  • Deadlift
  • Bench press
  • Low bar back squat
I had planned to compete in a local powerlifting competition this coming Saturday, but the event was cancelled. :(

So I'm thinking I can just test in the gym next week. Basically do what I would have done at the event -- some warm-up sets, then find max in 2 or 3 lifts.

Does anyone have any other advice on testing my 1RM for all 4 of these lifts and get the best results? Different one each day? Simulate meet order? 2 lifts on 2 days? Allow more than 3 lifts or going down in weight if I don't make one? Etc...

Hey Anna,

If your goal is replicate what you would've made at the meet, I'd test all your lifts in one day. If I was going to do that, I would order them as MP, SQ, BP, DL.

I prefer to space them out over a week, with two lifts per day. I've had success testing my bench and squat on a Monday and then testing military press and deadlift on a Friday or Saturday. I don't recommend doing your DL first as it's probably going to tax you the most.

Also, if you're not feeling a 1RM, test for a different RM, like a 3 or 5. From there you can kinda sorta estimate what a 1RM would be off those numbers.

And then take a week or two off / active recovery.

Going to give you some scenarios but each will depend on what your plan is moving forward.

The first (what I prefer and have done numerous occasions) is to take a 1 rep max for each lift on it's given day IF you are planning to start a new cycle of 5/3/1 afterwards. This way if needed, or wanted, you could start with 85 percent of your new 1RMs and start a new cycle using 5's Pro (5 reps regardless of week and %) and 5x5 First Set Last. This gives you plenty of volume without beating you up the way a PR set every week can.

Another option is similar to what @Arryn Grogan mentioned but still keeping things in a 5/3/1 perspective. If you want to test a 1RM on 2 lifts and aren't feeling the others, I would take whatever your current training max is and take it for a PR set. The hidden goal of 5/3/1 is to pretty much always keep your Training Max around 85-90 percent, even as you progress to heavier weights. 5 rep maxes are usually 85% and 3 rep maxes are usually 90%. Like before, take 85 percent of these lifts and go 5's Pro and 5x5 FSL after you have done this.

What I have described above is what Wendler calls the 7th week protocol in his new book and is a way to track progress and make sure you are using the correct TM all the time. Don't have the new book yet, but he gave out so much free information on T-Nation that you get a great idea on how his new programming works with Leaders, Anchors and the 7th Week Protocol.

The final option is you can just do a "Mock Meet" at your gym and just roll with it. The order above if you were going to test your 1RM in one day is perfect as again @Arryn Grogan mentioned.

Being a smaller female, I can't see the weights being lifted for your new 1RMs absolutely beating you up and wrecking your recovery to where you have to take time off. If anything you may want a bit of a mental recovery which is the beauty of taking 85% of your new maxes and doing 5's Pro and 5x5 FSL if staying with 5/3/1 is the plan. If not then enjoy your new found strength and go on auto-pilot for a brief time and maybe try some new lifts you have never done before!

@Anna C- I would test your deads and MP together and just do a max 3+ for shoulder press using small jumps or go for a max single in the westside format of working up to a max triple and doing small jumps and then working to a max single. Personally I would go for a max 3+, it will reduce the chance of injury and not take quite so much out of you. For deads just go for a single.

Two or three days later I would do a max 3+ on both bench and Squats. Again, less fatigue and a lower chance of injury. Max singles are great in a competition. If your not competing go for the max with triples. You will still get a great feel for how much strength you gained after comparing your numbers from your log from 3 months ago to current day.

Best of luck no matter which way you go.

Great ideas, thanks guys.

Yes I had toyed with the idea of doing it just like the meet so that I could see what I would have done... especially since this would have been my third year in a row doing this event (the only lifting events I've ever done). Results in lbs:

• July 2015 I did Squat 152, Bench Press 99, Deadlift 210
  • July 2016 I did Squat 160, Bench Press 121, Deadlift 235 (have DL'd 265 since then, have not beat the others)
  • July 2017.... I was aiming for Squat 170, Bench Press 130, Deadlift 275; I think those are pretty good estimates for now, and all would be PRs. MP I would estimate at 100 or 105. I got 95 lb 11 weeks ago, but this one seems to be a slow mover.

So although I would like to have meet results, I actually prefer the idea of being fresh for each lift and getting a really good test of it. So I think I will spread the testing out through the week.

@Arryn Grogan I like your combo of bench + squat one day, and DL+ MP another. Shawn looks like you like that combo too.

I can't see the weights being lifted for your new 1RMs absolutely beating you up and wrecking your recovery to where you have to take time off.

Jared I think I agree, and the attempts won't be too taxing... except maybe the DL. So I'll do that on the later day.

I have Wendler's new book (5/3/1 Forever) but I haven't read it yet. Good ideas there... although I think I will do some different programs next, just to get familiar with other ways to train. I also want to get familiar with the other Accessory lifts for SFL.

I think I'm in decent shape for the SFL requirements; for me they are (in lbs):
Strength Tests:
1 rep: DL 240
1 rep: Bench Press 120
Technique Tests:
5 reps: Back Squat 120
5 reps: DL 160
5 reps: Military Press 80

So I really want to see where I am, and this will help me plan my training between now and October.

Good point Arryn and @ShawnM about the 3 or 5 rep max.... I will keep that in mind too.

Many thanks!

I have Wendler's new book (5/3/1 Forever) but I haven't read it yet.
Haven't read the thread much but my understanding is that the 7th week protocol (meant to deload) can also be used to test 1RM (and he explains how in the book). Since you're doing 5/3/1, why not just follow his own recommended peaking protocol to test? Just skip real quick to the section.

Or test some other way of course but I figured I should mention this.

I don't know this book or program, but I'll point out that there are lot of kinds of 1RM one can test for - not sure which the book/program might expect, but it's good to be aware that a true 1RM in a strength lift is the kind of thing you wouldn't repeat, and probably couldn't repeat, possibly for days or weeks afterwards. E.g., the DDD goes up to 92%, and in the midst of training with just a day or two off before, that's heavy enough. I calculate my 2nd lifts in a PL meet to be about a 96% 1RM effort because I've done a few true 1RM efforts in my day and I don't care to do that even a couple of times a year. These are things like a deadlift that takes 10 seconds (or more!) to complete, that bench press that almost stalls but you someone manage, just barely, to get to lockout, and other really, really hard efforts.

-S-

I've been training barbell for 11 weeks now using Wendler's 5/3/1 program to get stronger and help prepare for SFL in Oct 2017. Looking for advice on the best way to test my current 1RM
What weights do you need to hit for the SFL, and what were the heaviest weights you hit this cycle?

What weights do you need to hit for the SFL, and what were the heaviest weights you hit this cycle?

SFL requirements for me:
Strength Tests:
1 rep: DL 240
1 rep: Bench Press 120
Technique Tests:
5 reps: Back Squat 120
5 reps: DL 160
5 reps: Military Press 80

Heaviest weights hit this cycle:
Military Press 90 (2 reps)
DL 235 (4 reps)
Bench Press 110 (3 reps)
Squat 145 (9 reps)

Last edited:
Awesome, you are where you need to be!

Do not risk maxing in the gym.

Instead, use the energy to hit another cycle (or two!). October is a long ways off. Running more training cycles will build confidence better than risking a gym max.

Yes I think so! But as October is a long ways off, I do need to maintain the strength.

I'm sure your advice is good, but I'm still going to test my maxes next week.... :)

Actually what I plan to do after the testing is return more to A+A kettlebell and LSD cardio for 5-6 weeks, to get my endurance back up. I'll also practice some of those Accessory lifts. Then back to the powerlifts in September for one more training cycle before SFL weekend.

Interim update on the testing this week. All weights are in pounds:

Monday I tested MP and it didn't go all that great. After some warm-up I pressed 85 and it felt solid. Tried 105 and failed. Made 95, whew. Tried 105 again, failed, 100, failed. So the most I got was 95, which was disappointing because that was my 1RM back 11 weeks ago before these training cycles. I'd like to test this one again, probably this coming Monday. Things really weren't feeling great that morning.

Tuesday I tested Squat and that went fabulously! Some warm-up with 2 x 3 at 95, then 1 at 145, 1 at 165, 1 at 185, and still felt strong! Tried 205 but that was too much. I think I could have done 195 but I didn't try it after the failed 205 (had a good spotter, so all was well, but figured I'd take the 185). Really happy with 185 as a new PR, especially since it's 25 lb more than previous PR of 160.

Wednesday I tested Bench Press and that went well too. After a bit of mobility and warm-up, 2 x 5 at 45, 1 x 3 at 95, 1 at 115, 1 at 130. That one was good and not an absolute max, but I left it at that. So 130 as a new PR beats my previous 120. I also have a lot better idea what I'm doing on the bench press than I used to... I have learned a lot, but there is still a lot to learn.

Funny, I remarked to John (@WxHerk) after the bench press that everyone talks about max efforts being really taxing, but that BP of 130 for me was about as taxing as every single pull-up I ever do... pull-ups always feel like a max effort! :)

Today was mostly a rest day with just some light kettlebell work. I will test the Deadlift Friday morning. I'd like to get a 1RM but I'll take the good advice above and do a 3 or 5 RM if I'm not feeling super strong or ready to max out.

Thanks for the advice thus far... I'll let you know how the DL goes.

@Anna C - great progress.

Interesting that the overhead press might be lagging.

5/3/1 gets a bit of criticism in some quarters for relatively low volume (although you can fill it with insane amounts of assistance work), I wonder if this reveals itself on the press.

'to press a lot, you must press a lot'

Interesting that the overhead press might be lagging.

5/3/1 gets a bit of criticism in some quarters for relatively low volume (although you can fill it with insane amounts of assistance work), I wonder if this reveals itself on the press.

'to press a lot, you must press a lot'

My thought exactly! I'll give it another shot before I conclude, but yes I had a similar experience doing the Science based plan with the kettlebell press, I just didn't feel it was enough volume for me. (Program and Article / Results)

Well, the Deadlift went well this morning! After some mobility and warm-up, I did 2 x 5 at 135, then 1 x 2 at 185, then 1 at 235..... That felt pretty good... Thought about what to do next.... ease up to 255, 265 (my previous PR)? I decided to go right for 275, my goal for the day. It was good! Not only was it good, but it was really solid. Slower than a regular lift, but not iffy at all. So I suspect that's not an absolute max for me, but I will take it for today. Probably could have done 285 after a long rest if my life depended on it, but it doesn't. So 275 it is.

This gives me hope that I might get to my goal of 300 lb DL on my 50th birthday in December this year. :) Especially with the tips I'll pick up at the SFL in October.

Not only was the DL good, but I actually felt quite fresh afterwards, unlike previous times where I've maxed. So I decided to try the MP again. 2 x 5 with the bar (45 lb), then 1 at 95, and that felt stronger than Monday. A good sign. Hmm... go for 105, or 100? Either one would be a PR. Tried 105, failed. Rested, tried 100, it went up! So I'm 4 for 4! Satisfied with that, and no need to retest that on Monday.

Here's a summary, in lbs, previous PR (before 11 weeks of 5/3/1), new PR, and other gains:
  • Overhead/military press: 95 --> 100. More solid technique.
  • Deadlift: 265 --> 275. Also felt much fresher after lifting, and can do more reps with weights like 225, 235.
  • Bench press: 120 --> 130. Learned a lot about how to do this one.
  • Low bar back squat: 160 --> 185. Legs are much stronger! Also brought back my pistol squat.

I really enjoyed the format of the 5/3/1 program, but when I go back to the powerlifts in September I want to try a different program so I'll learn other ways to go about training. Not in a hurry to push the weights up... just want to be solid for SFL, and make safe, steady progress. I am open for suggestions....

Congratulations on setting PR's on the Big 4!! Always awesome to see people's hard work pay off with new PR's across the board!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom