all posts post new thread

Thanks To All! Started S&S…

Ege

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all;

You all received my endless stupid questions, and patiently answered. You have sometimes seen my passionate strong opinions with no bad intentions, and you have just let it go.

You all contributed to my personal strength journey. I don’t give names , cause I don’t want to miss anyone.

I have just finished my first S&S practice session with 16kg.

S&S warm up w 8kg. 10 sets of 10 One arm Swings and 10 sets of TGUs @16 kg. Will do the S&S stretches later.

I will post my video for form check in a few weeks.

I generally prefer humble approaches. And I respect humble people.

But I was not even close to be humble at all in between sets of TGUs alone in my courage corner.

16 kg TGUs just felt easy. 6 months ago an 8kg kb TGU was discouragingly shaky and dangerous for me due to mobility and stability issues.

In between the sets of TGUs I was so happy that I acted as if I scored a last second touchdown at super bowl at age 49, at an otherwise very hectic period in my life.

You all have made me happy. Thanks.

Best,

Ege

Great job! When I started S&S I attempted a 16kg get up and was humbled and had to step down to 12kg. It was very gratifying to get stronger and more mobile in the getup! Keep up the great work! :)

Great job! When I started S&S I attempted a 16kg get up and was humbled and had to step down to 12kg. It was very gratifying to get stronger and more mobile in the getup! Keep up the great work! :)

I'm still a big fan of the lighter bells when it comes to get ups and windmills.

(and, of course, arm bars)

Especially if you're already doing a bunch of barbell work and using them as a mobility exercise, as opposed to strength move, to blow dust at of all the weird nooks and crannies.

Well done @Ege . You've been incredibly patient. I think its good to take the video early on and even if you don't show it to anyone, you have it there for yourself to look back on and feel proud of how far you will go on this journey. I know I am kicking myself for not recording stuff earlier on.

Not gonna lie.....

That sounds kinda hilarious!

Since my training is similar, I knew exactly what he was talking about!

With most of my week full of barbell weightlifting, when I do light get-ups or other kettlebell mobility stuff, it feels exactly like "blowing the dust at of all the weird nooks and crannies". Movement in different directions and dimensions with a light load like a small kettlebell is such a great tonic for the body.

Since my training is similar, I knew exactly what he was talking about!

With most of my week full of barbell weightlifting, when I do light get-ups or other kettlebell mobility stuff, it feels exactly like "blowing the dust at of all the weird nooks and crannies". Movement in different directions and dimensions with a light load like a small kettlebell is such a great tonic for the body.
We all know what you mean by a “small” kettlebell :)

We all know what you mean by a “small” kettlebell :)
I really do have smalls... My KB family... just now all back together again from when I had some lent out in recent years:

10 lb x 2.. bargain brand
8 kg Rogue
10 kg StrongFirst brand... sweet!
12 kg Perform Better
14 kg x 2 StrongFirst pair... super sweet!
16 kg x 2 Perform Better (my original S&S KB and SFG I training pair)
20 kg Rogue
24 kg Rogue comp (my least favorite)
24 kg Perform Better (my other original S&S KB - the one that made the difference!)
32 kg Rogue
40 kg Rogue
48 kg Rogue

So my "blowing the dust off all the weird nooks and crannies" kettlebells are usually the 10, 12, and 14 kgs. But for windmills I do like the 8 kg. And just rehearsing things I often grab the 10 lb bells.

@Ege I have an analogy from another sport that really helped with my TGU. I came from a jiu-jitsu background and learning how to bridge properly transferred over to being able to increase to the heavier weight really well during the TGU. John Danaher Bridge- YouTube Skip to 13:30 to see John Danaher's bridge demonstration and even follow along if you'd like. I guess the main point I am trying to bring is a lot of people bridge straight up which is inefficient compared to efficiently transferring energy onto your forearm in the TGU almost like you were performing a BJJ bridge. I visualized this often during my practice. I am excited to follow your journey!

@Ege I have an analogy from another sport that really helped with my TGU. I came from a jiu-jitsu background and learning how to bridge properly transferred over to being able to increase to the heavier weight really well during the TGU. John Danaher Bridge- YouTube Skip to 13:30 to see John Danaher's bridge demonstration and even follow along if you'd like. I guess the main point I am trying to bring is a lot of people bridge straight up which is inefficient compared to efficiently transferring energy onto your forearm in the TGU almost like you were performing a BJJ bridge. I visualized this often during my practice. I am excited to follow your journey!
Thanks appreciate this. The cue here will be very precious for me. I can’t wait for my S&S practice tomorrow to remember this during my TGU. Thanks a lot.

Did you find any BJJ move that also has similarities with a swing?

If my life was less hectic I was considering either Judo or BJJ as a recreational practice. But I had to select sth that I can do at home alone effectively and practicing so called “movement” it never occurred to me that, some basic moves, ques, visualizations might be carrying over from one to S&S and the other way around. This is a very beautiful mental concept. Thanks.

So my "blowing the dust off all the weird nooks and crannies" kettlebells are usually the 10, 12, and 14 kgs. But for windmills I do like the 8 kg. And just rehearsing things I often grab the 10 lb bells.

Similar to my dust blowing sizes:

TGUs using 16 kg, windmills the 8 kg or the 12 kg.

At those weights, I can really wiggle around exploring end ROM.

I'll usually throw in some (much hated / controversial) Jefferson curls as finishers.

Thanks appreciate this. The cue here will be very precious for me. I can’t wait for my S&S practice tomorrow to remember this during my TGU. Thanks a lot.

Did you find any BJJ move that also has similarities with a swing?

If my life was less hectic I was considering either Judo or BJJ as a recreational practice. But I had to select sth that I can do at home alone effectively and practicing so called “movement” it never occurred to me that, some basic moves, ques, visualizations might be carrying over from one to S&S and the other way around. This is a very beautiful mental concept. Thanks.
I would say BJJ and S&S go together better than anything else I've tried. BJJ is all about hips and grips, and control over moving your body through space, all while having a good aerobic base...these are all the things that S&S works on. As much as I love barbell lifting currently, the best progress I ever made in BJJ was when I added S&S and it is a perfect program to go along with grappling. My guess is this is how the StrongFirst Kettlebells program was developed since it is very effective.

I would say BJJ and S&S go together better than anything else I've tried. BJJ is all about hips and grips, and control over moving your body through space, all while having a good aerobic base...these are all the things that S&S works on. As much as I love barbell lifting currently, the best progress I ever made in BJJ was when I added S&S and it is a perfect program to go along with grappling. My guess is this is how the StrongFirst Kettlebells program was developed since it is very effective.
Do you think it might be due to asymmetric and rotational stabilization requirements of TGU and One Arm swings?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom