all posts post new thread

Special Events - General The absolute minimalist

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jalvarado

Level 4 Valued Member
If you had one piece of equipment you could use for the rest of your life what would it be? At first I thought a pull-up bar years back … but after KB training and 2 newborns later.. I know for a fact swings have helped me in every day life more than pull-ups. The constant bending, picking up, carrying. Nothing is more functional IMO - the deadlift motion for humans. Maybe before the hunter gatherer pull ups made more sense…
Jump rope is a close second to the KB though.

If you had one piece of equipment you could use for the rest of your life what would it be? At first I thought a pull-up bar years back … but after KB training and 2 newborns later.. I know for a fact swings have helped me in every day life more than pull-ups. The constant bending, picking up, carrying. Nothing is more functional IMO - the deadlift motion for humans. Maybe before the hunter gatherer pull ups made more sense…
Jump rope is a close second to the KB though.
I can relate.

5 years ago I would have said "gymnastic rings". You can take them on planes, use them in parks, etc. Great for upper body strength.

But after having kids I would say a 32kg bell, maintaining Timeless Simple would be pretty good. For variety I would probably pick a 24, allowing me to work on snatches and presses. It is just so nice to have standing there in the living room.

However, I haven't tried barbell lifting, and I could see someone saying: A barbell for heavy work + shoes for sprinting and long distance runnning.

For me it would be a 32kg kettlebell.

Swings, squats, cleans, lunges, TGUs, push presses, rows and eventually presses. Enough for a lifetime.

A tree branch for pullups and shoes for running, and you don't need anything else

Jumprope would be tough to live without. Everything else can be approximated, but I literally cannot run in place as fast as I can jumprope (maybe with a lot more practice...)

a single kettlebell, if only because one vary exercises and get a competent push/pull/upper/lower with it. Personally, my "perfect" bell would be the 16 or 20, probably the 20

I can relate.

5 years ago I would have said "gymnastic rings". You can take them on planes, use them in parks, etc. Great for upper body strength.

But after having kids I would say a 32kg bell, maintaining Timeless Simple would be pretty good. For variety I would probably pick a 24, allowing me to work on snatches and presses. It is just so nice to have standing there in the living room.

However, I haven't tried barbell lifting, and I could see someone saying: A barbell for heavy work + shoes for sprinting and long distance runnning.
I guess if shoes counts as equipment then yes. I have some endorphin speeds which vital for my knees.

Jumprope would be tough to live without. Everything else can be approximated, but I literally cannot run in place as fast as I can jumprope (maybe with a lot more practice...)
Jump rope is just so versatile and the bang for buck is huge. I agree. Full-body endurance, cardio, agility etc.

I’m with Dayz. 32kg kettlebell would be the perfect spot where I can do some moves with it (squat, swing, jerk) and progress for a long time to master others (snatch, strict press, pistol).

The 100/200 rep snatch tests with that would probably be a life goal.

Jump rope is just so versatile and the bang for buck is huge. I agree. Full-body endurance, cardio, agility etc.
What I don’t understand about jumping rope is, and I’m probably going to sound very ignorant/stupid here, but can’t you get very similar benefits from just jumping on the spot? What does the rope itself do?

What I don’t understand about jumping rope is, and I’m probably going to sound very ignorant/stupid here, but can’t you get very similar benefits from just jumping on the spot? What does the rope itself do?
Haha that made me chuckle a bit. There’s a lot going on with jumping rope. It’s plyometric by nature. Forearms, shoulders, core, Lats, posterior chain- from the balls of the feet up, are all engaged. Most beginners can’t skip past 100 but I usually go for 5-15 mins straight skipping and there is no exercise like it. The added coordination/agility and jumping proponent is great for longevity as well. There’s a popular Harvard study that’s been out forever stating that 10 mins of skipping os equivalent to 30 mins of steady state jogging. It makes sense because of all the muscles used.

If you use one with a lighter weight cord (not a speed rope) it takes a lot of arm to keep it moving fast. It is also easier to move your feet faster running in place when you're jumping rope than when you're just pumping arms - at least it is for me.

Coordination and proprioceptor development. It’s like comparing trail running to a treadmill.

If my 12-32kg adjustable competition bell doesn’t count, I’d go with my 28kg powdercoat bell.

You can improvise for pull-ups, but it’s harder to do that effectively for a kettlebell.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom