all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Best Kettlebell Squat Variation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Heavy goblet squats with a pause at the bottom really work my midsection well. I get the fact the grip starts to become a limiting factor, but fast and loose and a little extra rest between rounds makes a difference.

YMMV

Posts related to the "squat style" of swing have been moved into their own thread entitled Kettlebell Squat Style Swing.

The original question asks for comparisons of various styles of kettlebell squat. Posts on that topic are still here.

-S-

guys, i get nearly bodyweight press (63 kg - weight 68) using front squat. thanks Sauli for the advice

Everyone should try these - even just with a broom handle. There is no way to cheat an overhead squat.

I agree. Everyone should do them with just a dowel. It can be embarrassing how well they show tight calves and lack of thoratic mobility and scapular stability.

My vote goes to double front squats.
If I don’t have access to weights I prefer Airborne lunges over pistols any time.

Agreed. Pistol doesn't seem to be a very natural movement. Learning curve on the airborne lunge is much less but can be loaded to be very challenging. Like the front squat.

I'm not an expert and am still experimenting with leg movements, but I'll add my experience.

The rack position is the limiting factor for me when doing double kb front squats. So if I wanted to 'blast' my legs, it just can't be done. My core gives out before my quads. (Now, maybe if I stuck with them the rack position muscles would catch up, which would be a good thing.)

(For undetermined reasons, KB front squats were aggravating my knees, so I've experimented with lunges.)

Switching over to double KB racked lunges and split squats - I still hit my core with the racked KBs, but I can work my legs harder since my core is doing the same work but now a single leg has to lift the same weight that two legs did with front squats.

But the lunges are tricky, a little less stable, perhaps less safe as I can see the knee would have a tendency to wobble in and out. (However, they don't aggravate my knees.) (and see below).

I've found that split squats - where I start with the legs 'split' and don't move my feet - tend to activate my glutes and quads in a way that front squats and even lunges didn't.

Mobility currently limits my pistols. I'm sure I could work on them and be able to do them. I've done them in the past.

---

FWIW - I know a lot of us are fans of Dan John. I am. I don't treat what any one person says as gospel, but he has insinuated that pistols and single leg exercise in general may have led to his hip replacements and some folks just may not be built for them. He mentioned that Stu McGill pointed out he sees a injuries from pistols, lunges, split squats.

I found this from McGill -

And this Making the Split Squat Work for You

The more I learn, the less I know. I wish everything was "do this, not that" but it doesn't seem that the body works that way. But I'm starting to agree with DJ's "Push the hinge, maintain the squat" mantra.

I'm not an expert and am still experimenting with leg movements, but I'll add my experience.

The rack position is the limiting factor for me when doing double kb front squats. So if I wanted to 'blast' my legs, it just can't be done. My core gives out before my quads. (Now, maybe if I stuck with them the rack position muscles would catch up, which would be a good thing.)

(For undetermined reasons, KB front squats were aggravating my knees, so I've experimented with lunges.)

Switching over to double KB racked lunges and split squats - I still hit my core with the racked KBs, but I can work my legs harder since my core is doing the same work but now a single leg has to lift the same weight that two legs did with front squats.

But the lunges are tricky, a little less stable, perhaps less safe as I can see the knee would have a tendency to wobble in and out. (However, they don't aggravate my knees.) (and see below).

I've found that split squats - where I start with the legs 'split' and don't move my feet - tend to activate my glutes and quads in a way that front squats and even lunges didn't.

Mobility currently limits my pistols. I'm sure I could work on them and be able to do them. I've done them in the past.

---

FWIW - I know a lot of us are fans of Dan John. I am. I don't treat what any one person says as gospel, but he has insinuated that pistols and single leg exercise in general may have led to his hip replacements and some folks just may not be built for them. He mentioned that Stu McGill pointed out he sees a injuries from pistols, lunges, split squats.

The more I learn, the less I know. I wish everything was "do this, not that" but it doesn't seem that the body works that way. But I'm starting to agree with DJ's "Push the hinge, maintain the squat" mantra.

Me right now:
whoa.jpg

---

A very interesting post. Thanks. Yeah, I find I am more confused now too now that I "know" more. My general approach I think I got from Gray Cook is mobility, stability, load. If you can't reach the position properly don't load it. Me and barbell overhead work (thoratic tightness). If you are not stable, then don't load it. Me and airborne lunge. If you are mobile enough (I can deep squat), stable enough (solid rack), then let her rip. Me and double KB front squats. I see guys at the gym loading things heavy like dumbell bench press when their range (ROM) and shoulder stability is just not there yet. Dumbells are waving around.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom