all posts post new thread

Nutrition The more LDL, or “bad cholesterol,” you have, the more muscle you build during resistance training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
The more LDL, or “bad cholesterol,” you have, the more muscle you build during resistance training.
Bad cholesterol's good for big muscles - Futurity

A new study found that after fairly vigorous workouts, adults who were in generally good health, but not normally physically active, gained the most muscle mass but also had the highest levels of the “bad” cholesterol—low-density lipoprotein (LDL).

“It shows that you do need a certain amount of LDL to gain more muscle mass,” says Steve Riechman, assistant professor of health and kinesiology at Texas A&M University.

“There’s no doubt you need both, the LDL and the HDL, and the truth is, it (cholesterol) is all good. You simply can’t remove all the “bad” cholesterol from your body without serious problems occurring.”

The research is reported in the Journal of Gerontology.

Cholesterol is found in all humans and is a type of fat around the body. Total cholesterol level is comprised of LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol.

LDL is almost always referred to as the bad cholesterol because it tends to build up in the walls of arteries, causing a slowing of the blood flow which often leads to heart disease and heart attacks. HDL, usually called the good cholesterol, often helps remove cholesterol from arteries.

“But here is where people tend to get things wrong,” Riechman says. “LDL serves a very useful purpose. It acts as a warning sign that something is wrong and it signals the body to these warning signs. It does its job the way it is supposed to.

“People often say, ‘I want to get rid of all my bad (LDL) cholesterol,’ but the fact is, if you did so, you would die. Everyone needs a certain amount of both LDL and HDL in their bodies. We need to change this idea of LDL always being the evil thing; we all need it, and we need it to do its job.”

According to the American Heart Association, about 36 million American adults have high cholesterol levels.

“Our tissues need cholesterol, and LDL delivers it. HDL, the good cholesterol, cleans up after the repair is done. And the more LDL you have in your blood, the better you are able to build muscle during resistance training.”

The findings could be helpful in studying sarcopenia, a condition where muscle is lost due to aging. Previous studies show muscle is usually lost at a rate of 5 percent per decade after the age of 40. After the age of 60, the prevalence of moderate to severe sarcopenia is found in about 65 percent of all men and about 30 percent of all women, and accounts for more than $18 billion of health care costs in the United States.

“The bottom line is that LDL, the bad cholesterol, serves as a reminder that something is wrong and we need to find out what it is. It gives us warning signs. Is smoking the problem, is it diet, is it lack of exercise that a person’s cholesterol is too high?

“It plays a very useful role, does the job it was intended to do, and we need to back off by always calling it bad cholesterol because it is not totally bad.”

Researchers from Johns Hopkins University, the University of Pittsburgh, and Kent State University contributed to the study.

The more LDL, or “bad cholesterol,” you have, the more muscle you build during resistance training.
Bad cholesterol's good for big muscles - Futurity

A new study found that after fairly vigorous workouts, adults who were in generally good health, but not normally physically active, gained the most muscle mass but also had the highest levels of the “bad” cholesterol—low-density lipoprotein (LDL).

“It shows that you do need a certain amount of LDL to gain more muscle mass,” says Steve Riechman, assistant professor of health and kinesiology at Texas A&M University.

“There’s no doubt you need both, the LDL and the HDL, and the truth is, it (cholesterol) is all good. You simply can’t remove all the “bad” cholesterol from your body without serious problems occurring.”

The research is reported in the Journal of Gerontology.

Cholesterol is found in all humans and is a type of fat around the body. Total cholesterol level is comprised of LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol.

LDL is almost always referred to as the bad cholesterol because it tends to build up in the walls of arteries, causing a slowing of the blood flow which often leads to heart disease and heart attacks. HDL, usually called the good cholesterol, often helps remove cholesterol from arteries.

“But here is where people tend to get things wrong,” Riechman says. “LDL serves a very useful purpose. It acts as a warning sign that something is wrong and it signals the body to these warning signs. It does its job the way it is supposed to.

“People often say, ‘I want to get rid of all my bad (LDL) cholesterol,’ but the fact is, if you did so, you would die. Everyone needs a certain amount of both LDL and HDL in their bodies. We need to change this idea of LDL always being the evil thing; we all need it, and we need it to do its job.”

According to the American Heart Association, about 36 million American adults have high cholesterol levels.

“Our tissues need cholesterol, and LDL delivers it. HDL, the good cholesterol, cleans up after the repair is done. And the more LDL you have in your blood, the better you are able to build muscle during resistance training.”

The findings could be helpful in studying sarcopenia, a condition where muscle is lost due to aging. Previous studies show muscle is usually lost at a rate of 5 percent per decade after the age of 40. After the age of 60, the prevalence of moderate to severe sarcopenia is found in about 65 percent of all men and about 30 percent of all women, and accounts for more than $18 billion of health care costs in the United States.

“The bottom line is that LDL, the bad cholesterol, serves as a reminder that something is wrong and we need to find out what it is. It gives us warning signs. Is smoking the problem, is it diet, is it lack of exercise that a person’s cholesterol is too high?

“It plays a very useful role, does the job it was intended to do, and we need to back off by always calling it bad cholesterol because it is not totally bad.”

Researchers from Johns Hopkins University, the University of Pittsburgh, and Kent State University contributed to the study.
Paul Saladino has a lot of good info. on this topic.

I've struggled with this topic. By most measures, I shouldn't change anything. At 45, i am strong enough, can pass the snatch test, have single digit bodyfat, good blood pressure, etc. Except my chol is 235 (L147,H65). I eat more fat than the gen pop would say is wise. Cant decide whether to accept it as good enough or try to improve...

I've struggled with this topic. By most measures, I shouldn't change anything. At 45, i am strong enough, can pass the snatch test, have single digit bodyfat, good blood pressure, etc. Except my chol is 235 (L147,H65). I eat more fat than the gen pop would say is wise. Cant decide whether to accept it as good enough or try to improve...
Nate, give this a look.

Except my chol is 235 (L147,H65).
Nothing Wrong

There is nothing wrong with these number.

Before we get into it, let's examine...

Blood Lipids

1) Total Cholesterol: This number alone means nothing. What matters is its relationship to other Blood Lipid Numbers.

2) High HLD is good, as you know.

2) High LDL doesn't mean anything as a stand alone number.

What matters is your LDL Particle Size.

a) High Particle A is good, low is bad.

b) High Particle B is bad, low is good.

3) HDL:Triglyceride Ratio indicates which is higher, Particle A or B.

Particle A is good, Particle B is bad.

4) Low Triglycerides are good. High Triglyceride are bad.

5) Remnant Cholesterol Reading is a measurement of cardiovascular health.

Remnant Cholesterol = Total Cholesterol - (LDL and HDL).
  • Below 20 mg/dL (0.49 mmol/L) is generally optimal
  • Around 20-30 mg/dL (0.49-0.78 mmol/L) is generally medium risk
  • Above 30 mg/dL (.78 mmol/L) is higher risk
The triglyceride/HDL-"good" cholesterol ratio should be below 2 (just divide your triglycerides level by your HDL).

This is another important health marker.

Breaking Down Your Numbers

Based on the above, let take a look at why your have good numbers.

1) HDL: T65 is great.

2) Remnant Cholesteorol: Yours is in the middle range area, toward the bottom; which is good.
235-147 (LDL) - 65 (HDL) = 23

3) Your Triglycerides are are listed but I know they are 69; by working backwards.

Total Cholesteorol - LDL - HDL - Triglycerides (divided by 5)

235- 147 (LDL) - 65 (HDL) = 23.

23 X 5 = Triglycerides of 115; very low, a great number

4) Triglycerides:HDL Ratio- Your number is 1.77.
69 (Triglycerides) divided by 65 (HD) is 1.77

1607270727936.png
Your Triglyceride:HDL Ratio indicates that you have a greater percentage of good Particle A LDL, rather than bad Particle B LDL.

HIgh LDL: This is driven by a high intake of Saturated Fat, which isn't a bad thing unless combined with a high carbohydrate diet.

Ironically, High Saturated Fat also slightly increases HDL.

Reading Summery

You have some great numbers.

Last edited:
Thx, Ill have to give these a deep dive reading. BTW, doc said Trigliceride was 117.

Math Correction

I changed the number in my previous post.

For Total Cholesterol it's...

235 - 147 - 65 -(Triglycerides divided by 5 not 3).

Thus, I should have multiplied 23 X 5 and gotten 115...which is close enough.

So, you still have some great numbers.

The information that I posted can be found on line.

Many physicians are not familiar with Remnant Cholesterol and either don't care or know much about the implication of Triglyceride:HDL Ratio number meaning.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great article and links. My GP is a good one but, as you noted, he may not be aware of Remnant Cholesterol nor the Triglyceride:HDL Ratio number meanings. My remnant cholesterol is 10 mg/dL and the Triglyceride:HDL is 1.13.

I recommend the Coronary Calcium CT scan. Acting based on this relatively inexpensive test (about $150) makes more sense to me than worrying about what cholesterol numbers might or might not mean.

-S-
Yup, same as you Steve, Saladino has a zero score. Taken in context with his other numbers provides the reason he gives little weight in the negative direction to his 500 LDL.

It's interesting to note that numerous people who use the carnivore diet or something similar, including Saladino, Shawn Baker, and someone I know personally all have had coronary calcium scores that were extremely low or 0. I've been mostly carnivore for nearly two years (I do a little white rice and fermented veggies these days) and I will finally be getting bloodwork done this week. I can't wait to hear how high my cholesterol is, although my girlfriend goes to this doctor and says she's really progressive as far as these kinds of diets go.

It's interesting to note that numerous people who use the carnivore diet or something similar, including Saladino, Shawn Baker, and someone I know personally all have had coronary calcium scores that were extremely low or 0. I've been mostly carnivore for nearly two years (I do a little white rice and fermented veggies these days) and I will finally be getting bloodwork done this week. I can't wait to hear how high my cholesterol is, although my girlfriend goes to this doctor and says she's really progressive as far as these kinds of diets go.
If you decide to post how it goes, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

@Don Fairbanks I just got these labs back. Still making heads/tails of it but this what came up:

High overall cholesterol, as I expected.

Cholesterol total: 303
HDL:75
LDL: 214
Triglycerides: 70

So if I'm following @kennycro@@aol.com 's math above correctly:

Remnant cholesterol= total chol. - (HDL+LDL)
303- (214+75)= 14

Triglyceride ratio-

Triglycerides/HDL=
70/75=0.9333

So those are good numbers I think?

The doctor said she would like to get my cholesterol down. I think not as much because of the numbers themselves, but because I also had a stool sample analyzed for microbiome which showed slightly high/elevated levels of candida and low numbers of beneficial microorganisms. Her conclusion based off of everything was that it seems like I have signs of high inflammation/stress/cortisol which could be driving my cholesterol up.

If I am understanding everything correctly, I believe my LDL is high because 90% of my fat intake is from eggs and red meat.

I don't know the ins and outs of this science very well, but I can't argue that I feel stressed out a lot. I also need to note that since these tests were taken, I have been eating more squash/pumpkin and sweet potato lately, as well as fermented veggies.

I'm supposed to meet with their nutritionist, and depending on what she says I may try to go more in the route of a keto-ish diet: less overall meat and more fats from coconut, olive oil etc.I'll be getting another blood lab in a few months to see how things change.

@bluejeff, as I regularly mention here, I recommend you have CT scan for coronary calcium. If your coronary arteries are in good shape and your stress levels are high, work on lowering your stress levels and don't worry about your cholesterol.

NB: Not medical advice, just my personal opinion.

-S-

@Steve Freides
good call. I'm not really that worried about the levels themselves. More just the fact that the doctor more or less confirmed my feelings of high stress!

Despite everything she told me, and despite the stress levels, I can DEFINITELY say that eating more meat has helped my general training performance. The stress is probably the biggest factor.

I'll try and look into getting a CAC scan.

@bluejeff , same as Steve, I'm not a doc and did not stay at a holiday inn express last night. Your Trig. to HDL ratio of .93 ( goal is under 2.0 )
is one of the best I've seen. Personally , I like All your numbers. FYI, in the US. it is illegal for anyone other than a MD or I believe a RD, to recommend something as simple as a Vit C tab. let alone recommendations on your blood work But, just sayin, if that was my panel I would be happy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom