all posts post new thread

Kettlebell The Quick and the Dead - MegaThread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@mikerobinson Don’t forget about the extra 1:00+ minute (swings & pushups) and 2:00+ for snatches:
  • 0:00 - 5 snatches
  • 0:15 - rest
  • 0:30 - 5 snatches
  • 0:45 - rest
  • 1:00 - 5 snatches
  • 1:15 - rest
  • 1:30 - 5 snatches
  • 1:45-4:00 - rest, then repeat with other side

Glad you posted this.. I was hoping someone would give an example.

So, once you have completed the other side at 1:45-4 rest then start a new series with the left?

Glad you posted this.. I was hoping someone would give an example.

So, once you have completed the other side at 1:45-4 rest then start a new series with the left?
Per-side intervals are 4:00. So those 5/4 were left side, rest from 1:45-4:00, then do a right-side series of 5/4 in another 4:00.

There is an illustration in the book that shows the intervals that made it “click” for me.

Got it and read through yesterday. Great book. To me, Pavel's best work yet.

The science will take a few more reads to digest, but thought it was generally clear and well articulated. I think the program design section is incredible. There is a lot of nuance there, so need to read more than a few times, but feels like Pavel has given me plenty to work on for months. I especially appreciated the different ways one can introduce variability to prevent/break through plateaus. The 10x10 program also seems like a bit of a hidden gem.

My one critique is that I would've loved more details on how to integrate Q&D with other training. The guidelines are pretty vague (beyond 'do fast first') - examples of how different types (strength, endurance, etc.) of athletes have successfully incorporated Q&D into their other training would have been tremendous. I get that only personalized coaching can deliver this perfectly, but still think some general rules of the road or general principles could have been discussed in more depth (for example, I think Tactical Barbell's conditioning and strength books do a nice job of talking about how to integrate their training with life/job/sports/other training).

I ran a test this morning - got 15 24kg snatches with both hands in the :30 sprint, and 22 power push-ups (and 35 regular push-ups). I am going to start a cycle of the Q&D snatch program, while doing the push-up program detailed here to ensue I am hitting those with full power. Then after 4-6 weeks I'll give the swing/push-up version a shot. Per above I'm a bit unclear on how much extra I should try to fit around this...will likely do some low volume strength work after the Q&D sessions and LSS running on the alternate days.

Folks, please look at the chart.

The series begin on the 3-minute intervals. You are, if you're doing 5's, taking almost as much rest after the first series as the first series took. The next series doesn't start on the 2 or the 4, it starts on the 3:00. It's the next minute _plus_ one minute.

-S-

@Steve Freides Isn’t it on 4:00 for the snatch protocol? (Kindle location 1280)

Attachments

• B7917B72-6B8C-41E3-993A-96A5BF452631.jpeg
    B7917B72-6B8C-41E3-993A-96A5BF452631.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 135
The chart you're showing is on the next page. I assumed you were talking about the basic, swings + pushups template.

-S-

Folks, please look at the chart.

The series begin on the 3-minute intervals. You are, if you're doing 5's, taking almost as much rest after the first series as the first series took. The next series doesn't start on the 2 or the 4, it starts on the 3:00. It's the next minute _plus_ one minute.

-S-

Got it.

Effectively:

10 swings wait for the rest of the minute (1 min gone)

10 swings, wait for the rest of the minute PLUS another minute (3 mins gone)

10 push ups wait for the rest of the minute (4 mins gone).

10 push ups wait for the rest of the minute PLUS one minute (6 mins gone)

Switch back to swings and repeat.

This is for the 10/2. Whereas 5/4 is based on 30 secs.

Plus nuances and variability coming from dice and possibly coin toss for number of sessions per week. Loved the coin toss idea to decide whether to work or rest.

My one critique is that I would've loved more details on how to integrate Q&D with other training. The guidelines are pretty vague (beyond 'do fast first') - examples of how different types (strength, endurance, etc.) of athletes have successfully incorporated Q&D into their other training would have been tremendous. I get that only personalized coaching can deliver this perfectly, but still think some general rules of the road or general principles could have been discussed in more depth (for example, I think Tactical Barbell's conditioning and strength books do a nice job of talking about how to integrate their training with life/job/sports/other training).

I feel the same. But maybe upcoming blog articles will show ways of implementing it, such as the great article on building up pushup strength.

First thing popping into my mind reading the book is it says 200 reps is approximately the max reps for power that should be done. Thus in the swing and pushup program you may hit 200, however in the snatch max is 100, this seems odd to me. I guess power drops more quickly when doing snatches but it leads to short workouts.

@mikerobinson When I learned this as 033D the following info was provided in regards to additional exercises.

"Following your session you may spend approximately 20min on "easy strength" goblet squats and get-ups...a low volume of pull-ups and squats is acceptable on alternate days. Do not do any other hip hinge or push exercises, except...You could also do some low volume deadlifts or military press following your session".

The add on exercises are all low volume and should be executed on your low volume Q&D days, if you are going for the 24 and 30min sessions, you may not want to do the additional presses or deadlifts.

Last edited:
@mikerobinson When I learned this as 033D the following info was provided in regards to additional exercises.

"Following your session you may spend approximately 20min on "easy strength" goblet squats and get-ups...a low volume of pull-ups and squats is acceptable on alternate days. Do not do any other hip hinge or push exercises, except...You could also do some low volume deadlifts or military press following your session".

Perfect. Thank you. I was thinking some kind of Easy Strength or low volume work would work. Nice to have it confirmed.

The add on exercises are all low volume and should be executed on your low volume Q&D days, if you are going for the 24 and 30min sessions, you may not want to do the additional presses or deadlifts.

This makes sense, thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, what were the differences between 033D and 033C (now aka Q&D)? Assuming it was still swings and push-ups, right?

My biggest question after reading the book would be: can Q&D be an appropriate variety day when doing RoP, or would it just mess with Q&D's objectives to be training power one day then strength the day after and so on.
Otherwise I found the book to be so well explained, the science part especially!

Also wondered while there were plenty of pull or ballistic exercises, there was only one Q &D push, the push up. Perhaps because it needs to be explosive. But it would be interesting to know if another Q&D push exercise could be substituted. I’m not sure I could think of one.
Pavel talks about the selection of push in the Power Drills section which he outlines how he came to the pushup. my understanding is that the Viking Push Press and the Parallel Bar Dip (which apparently is what Pavel prefers for his sessions) were both strong contenders but didn't make it due to it both drills excluding certain populations. the Pushup was the most effective drill that most people could do.

Edit: the kindle location is 727 don't know what pg that corresponds to.

This makes sense, thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, what were the differences between 033D and 033C (now aka Q&D)? Assuming it was still swings and push-ups, right?
I only learned it under the “D” variation, but yes, it was pushups and swings. As best as I can tell, the 033D version is what is now Q&D.

I signed up for 044B (last summer?) snatch protocol testing, and the only difference to Q&D I recall is that Q&D has 2-5 series, while 044B had 2, 4, 6, or 8 series.

Read the book today and I'm planning on giving the program a go.

BTW, my favorite Android interval timer, Impetus Interval Timer, is easy to configure for Q&D.

I just made a preset for swings and pushups 5/4 that has a 10 second prep countdown, timers for the swing and pushup intervals which display the labels "Swing 5 (n)" and "Pushup 5 (n)" (where n=the number of the set within the series), including the extra minute of rest in the last interval for each exercise, and set it to repeat for 5 series. It displays the number of the series you are on and gives a 3 second countdown before the start of each new interval (the countdown is configurable).

It will be just as easy to configure presets for the other variations.

I really like Impetus because it's so configurable, has an easy to use interface (once you are familiar with it, but the learning curve is not bad for the functions I've used it for), a clean display, and the free version has no ads and is very full-featured. The paid version costs $1.29, which gives you the ability to sync music playlists to specific intervals (something I'd never use), and the ability to backup, import, and export presets. I just have the free version, which I've been using for several years, but I'll probably pay the buck twenty-nine just to support a really good app.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom