all posts post new thread

The System; Soviet Periodization

Has anyone read the The System: Soviet Periodization Adapted for the American Strength Coach. It was recommended to me a few years back but I’m only getting round to it now. Downloaded on kindle whilst waiting for the paper copy. 6 chapters in. It’s excellent so far..
It has been on my read list since I found it about two years ago. Haven't purchased it. What do you like about it? I'm much more into "how" than "why" - good programs or program design? Explanations of how to?

Not read it....thanks for the reminder!! I did listen to the author, one of or all of, can't remember, on various podcasts a while back. The big take away for me was the use of waviness and it corresponded to various SF articles around the same time. As I remember one of the discussions was planned v random fluctuations....all very interesting....and the book beckons. Thank you.

I’m about 50% in and have kept reading. It’s very well put together. There are obvious parallels with SF and it’s very much geared towards finding the optimal way to generate force. The science is very clearly explained. The maths at first glance is complex and I will need to have a go at designing a plan before I can even scratch the surface. The principle of undulating volume and decoupling intensity and volume is a key principle.
The key principles themselves are very clear and again can be seen within the SF universe. Whilst the KB is mentioned the barbell is the tool of choice. Excellent features is the coaches eye; you can see these guys have been in the trenches..
I’m trying to get some reading done on programming. I’ll post a further update when I finish this. So far so good..

Last edited:
I read it. I remember thinking it was impossible to do without a barbell (or, at least, required more calculations than i was willing to do), which is one of the reasons I'm so impressed with how flexible the BuiltStrong/PlanStrong programs are.

I have the book. I've read it, and I remember thinking it was good but not much else. I'll try to give it another look and, if i have highlighted portions, put quotables here.
I just ordered it, a friend of mine was telling me Matt Wenning was working on a (comprehensive?) book on Russian (Soviet) training methods and I thought (the concept) sounded familiar. I’m not sure how either will be better or build off of the “soviet sport methods” by Bondarchuk.

Amazon product ASIN 1534814817

I've read it. There's lots of good in it. I think I missed some more practical examples from it, but I realise it's not that simple, and the book is very much alike typical textbooks in this context.
What would be your recommended books on programming?

Has anyone read the The System: Soviet Periodization Adapted for the American Strength Coach. It was recommended to me a few years back but I’m only getting round to it now. Downloaded on kindle whilst waiting for the paper copy. 6 chapters in. It’s excellent so far..
Yes, I have. I like it a lot, especially the planning part.

The System is quite comprehensive. However, it is geared towards building football players. The application is a bit more complicated and the exercise selection too.

It differs a little from Pavel's teachings, as far as I can see (I haven't attended PlanStrong, but Built Strong). The System uses total volume of all lifts combined as the main input for planning four-week blocks and all lifts wave together up and down. And then this total volume is assigned to up to 7 exercises (in contrast to probably 2-4 Pavel-style, but in line with Fabios BTS application), based on their relative importance for football. Most exercises are done explosively and Squat and Power Clean are the main dish. Further, it states that one would need at least 12 reps per session per lift to ellicit a training effect - contrary to SF's minimalist programs (PTTP, ES, DDD, Soju and Tuba, etc.).

I really like that it has a lot of comprehensive tables and rules of thumb.

If you don't have the budget for attending Built Strong or Plan Strong, reading the System for the "Why" (or listening to the podcast posted below) and then buying "Built Strong Minimalist" or "Maximum" for the "How" will get you pretty far, IMO, at least if you are not using it for max strength. It's really impressive how Fabio has pulled this off.

Here is some context by @Steve W. :
I look at The System as an advanced guide to programming aimed more at coaches, than a "do this" book of programs that would be accessible for most trainees (and even most football coaches without a lot of background in S&C programming). There are some sample programs, but they're really just that, a few samples of what a program based on the principles in the book might look like.

However, Johnny Parker, the co-author of The System, wrote a previous book that is a much more accessible programming guide and was my introduction to real strength training (planned, progressive, periodized training, using percentages, wave loading, unloading weeks, and so forth, and focusing on big multi-joint lifts, as opposed to random bodybuilding isolation exercises) called Johnny Parker's Ultimate Weight Training Program. It's out of print, but still may be available used.

Johnny Parker was the New York Giants strength coach under Bill Parcells and this book came out right after the Giants won the Super Bowl in 1986 (the technique demonstration photographs featured Giants players like Phil Simms, Joe Morris, and Jim Burt).

It's a great book because it lays out every lift, set, rep, and session. It starts with a generalized novice program, then high school programs for winter, summer, and in-season, and then college and advanced programs for winter, summer, and in-season, further tailored to different football position groups. Even if you don't play football you can choose a level, position group, and training season that is more of a match for your athletic needs and body type. There's a lot of good practical background information and guidance to go along with the programming, but all the programs are laid out in worksheets, session by session, so there's no real thinking involved. You just have to do the work.

A great book that is sadly overlooked.
johnny-parkers-ultimate-weight-training-program-cover-jpg.16650

Last but not least there is an interesting podcast of Scott Rdella with Johnny Parker that might actually contain sufficient info for most people.

Honestly. Go to the StrongFirst programming seminar. It is really well done
I learn better with books and doing than seminars. In my experience they give you the feeling that you learned things but when you leave and try to apply it you find holes in your knowledge that prevent you from implementing it. A well written book you can go back to for reference. A seminar is too ephemeral for me.

Back
Top Bottom