all posts post new thread

The System; Soviet Periodization

I learn better with books and doing than seminars. In my experience they give you the feeling that you learned things but when you leave and try to apply it you find holes in your knowledge that prevent you from implementing it. A well written book you can go back to for reference. A seminar is too ephemeral for me.
But most seminars will give comprehensive notes as well(?).

@silveraw I get it what you are saying, though I took Strong Endurance online, the accompanying book is very robust and in many places reads like a textbook.

I've read 'The System' and liked it, though I agree it leaned heavily to contact/collision sports. You can see the similarities to SF methodology. It's a good book to have on the shelf IMO

@silveraw I get it what you are saying, though I took Strong Endurance online, the accompanying book is very robust and in many places reads like a textbook.
That is good to hear.

I think we got off track though. I was more curious as to what books some of the advanced lifters felt were good programming resources. I don't mean to imply that SF seminars aren't good. They just aren't for me. And that is OK.

Going through the book.

Interesting that when talking about intensity they seemed to have figured out RPE before RPE was a thing. One of the big things I couldn't wrap my head around was "How do you program based on very specific %1RM for months on end without ever testing RMs?" and it sounds like they just used RPE for the most part.

It is also very interesting to see the strict top down soviet approach to things and how it actually works in practice. Take away the top down calculations for volume and you end up with some old school american style programming ala HLM. I'm starting to understand Dan John's comments about the system being pretty much the same as what he was brought up on when the rubber meets the road.

Yeah, picking this up again after some years of having it now, thinking it was good, and then promptly forgetting about it... A lot of really clear and concise gems and solid rules of thumb peppered throughout, even if you have no intention of implementing "The System".

(for example, page 152)
Training Session Volume Principles
To elicit a training effect, the minimal effective dose is 12 total exercise repetitions for a movement in a training session.

Being conservative with an athlete's recovery abilities, we will use a four-day per week training routine. Again, our specific exercise volume for week three is shown in Figure 4.35.

Strength Exercise Volume
No more than 35 reps per exercise, plus or minus three.

10 reps per set - best for hypertrophy, less good for strength and power.

4-7 reps per set - equally good for strength, hypertrophy, power.

1-3 reps per set - better for strength and power, not good for hypertrophy

Power and Speed Exercise Volume

No more than 25 reps per exercise, plus or minus three

4-5 reps per set - good for explosive strength and technical training

2-3 reps per set - good for explosive strength

1-2 reps per set - good for maximal strength and explosive strength

Have read the majority of this book. My take is it a very complex and well thought out description of the strength and conditioning methods the authors use to enhance the college/pro careers of athletes participating in very physical and demanding sport.

You definitely get the impression that what’s presented in the book is battle tested in very risky situations i.e. the current or potential future multi-million dollar careers of football players. The structure of the exercises, frequency, volume, etc. are very tightly controlled over years to progress an athlete’s strength and conditioning at the same time “do no harm”. Clearly the authors wanted to prepare championship athletes while not having to answer to a head coach/team owner for an injury in the weight room.

Again, very complex programming described. In my opinion could be a textbook for S&C coaches. But some great takeaways for me particularly being patient with increasing volume.

I'm playing around with this system and it seems a lot more doable than what it looked like at first.
That's interesting on two counts - 1. Creating the perodisation tables from reading what is in the book, well done,

2. I didnt realise you could link a live google sheet to a forum post, did some googling and had a play in my training log, thats a great way to display tabular data in your training log and avoid the hassles of the tables in the forum

Is this how you did it

1. Open the Share menu in the upper-right corner of the page, and select Publish as a web page.
  2. In the window that appears, select which parts of the spreadsheet you'd like to publish, and click the Publish now button. A unique URL is generated.
  3. Use this URL to embed the spreadsheet on your website or blog. (In our Strongfirst forum use the Media icon at the top of the postand paste the link into the blank field)

Last edited:
That's interesting on two counts - 1. Creating the perodisation tables from reading what is in the book, well done,

2. I didnt realise you could link a live google sheet to a forum post, did some googling and had a play in my training log, thats a great way to display tabular data in your training log and avoid the hassles of the tables in the forum

Is this how you did it

1. Open the Share menu in the upper-right corner of the page, and select Publish as a web page.
  2. In the window that appears, select which parts of the spreadsheet you'd like to publish, and click the Publish now button. A unique URL is generated.
  3. Use this URL to embed the spreadsheet on your website or blog. (In our Strongfirst forum use the Media icon at the top of the postand paste the link into the blank field)
Honestly it is just the share spreadsheet to anyone with the link. The forum then renders it.

While searching YouTube for some more info I came across a S&C coach for a hockey team that built a spreadsheet for the system. His was beeeeefy. He controlled volume for each player from a dashboard and did tracking all in one spot. So I’m trying to make a little version and see how it all fits together

Last edited:

@silveraw There are some spreadsheets in the thread above that might save you a bit of time and effort with your spreadsheet.

I don't know enough about waviness and spreadsheets but seems to me what you are doing is very similar to what is discussed in above thread.

My brain hurts if I think too hard about this stuff and I don't properly understand the waviness spreadsheets , but hope to one day.

@silveraw There are some spreadsheets in the thread above that might save you a bit of time and effort with your spreadsheet.

I don't know enough about waviness and spreadsheets but seems to me what you are doing is very similar to what is discussed in above thread.

My brain hurts if I think too hard about this stuff and I don't properly understand the waviness spreadsheets , but hope to one day.
Thanks those are some solid resources. I’ll have to go through them when I have some more time

I couldn't figure out the programming on these sheets. For example, if I want to do cleans and presses, on the corresponding day of the corresponding week, I should do the specified number on each arm, for example, I alternate at the beginning of the minute with the left and after the 30th second with the right, if I comply with the protocol of A+A .

Back
Top Bottom