all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Things are going so well, help me NOT to screw up!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

As some of you know I reached Simple standard a few weeks ago after doing S&S for about 15 weeks. It was an awesome journey really! Since I reached it I´ve been screwing around abit with my training deciding what to do next. As the time goes by I more and more feel like I´m slipping into a program hopping relapse. I want to keep doing things consistenly therefore I ask for guidience of this comunity to point me in the right direction! :)

Conditions
- I work out at home, in my garage. Low cealing = no snatches.
- Recently became a father. Can train 2-3 times/week
- Own a 16, 24 and 32 kettlebell
- No other equipment

Goal

- Little more hyperthrophy
- Build a strong and resilient body, so that I can take care of my family - (becoming bulletproof)
- Keep things simple

Options
S&S+Push-ups

Continue S&S with the addition of push-ups. I read @mprevost USNA push-up guide and I really liked how it could be used every other day or Three times per week. Keep doing S&S but with focus on achiveing 100 push-ups sounds fun, simplistic and awsome! I can bang out 10-15 strict push-ups today. I would rather do the push-ups on S&S Days for convinience. How should I arrange it do you think?

RoP+Swings
I belive that the 24 is a perfect weight for me in RoP. Beaing able to press overhead is awesome and eventually dominating half bw is a long time goal. Unfortunately I dont have axess to a pull-up bar so my only way to get some pulling is by doing KB rows. Perhaps renegade rows with uneaven bells? I cant do snatches outside right now as the weather conditions are awful! I Think of doing swings only insted. Should I just bang out 100 swings a´la S&S or should they be programed more as conditioning?

Other
Do you think of any programs I should/could do?

Last edited by a moderator:
How to Get Better at Everything by Training Multiple Get-Ups | StrongFirst
How to Build a Skill: Using the Get-up to Develop the Press | StrongFirst

I suggest these plans before moving on to pressing.

Personally after achieving Simple I plan to slowly incorporate the Bent Press, "as Dave Whitley says, “It begins where the Turkish get up leaves off.”" - 3 Reasons You Should Do the Bent Press: The King of Lifts
I plan to stick with the Swing too (alternating between S&S, Serious Endurance and Waving the Volume).

Last edited:
I don’t know what happened to those earlier replys, but I suggest that you try complexes. Very time efficient way to reach your goals.
Currently I’m doing complexes and some get up practise on rest days.
I have two little childrens and these quick workouts serve me pretty well.

Unfortunately I was about to answer all the great posts just Before the server blacked out. Damn.

I did get a good grasp of what many of you thought of. I´ve changed one (1) goal, from learning more exercises to becoming bullet proof, sort of :)

@Stefan Olsson

In case you find it useful, here is my "S&S Plus" programme.

Mon-Wed
=======
In no particular order:
  • S&S + doubles squat (uneven, 0-8 kg differential)
  • S&S + carries(uneven, 0-8 kg differential)
  • S&S only.
Or use one day as rest.

Thu
===
Running

Fri-Sun
=====
As Mon-Wed

It was put together based on a conversation I had with @Neuro-Bob .

- I work out at home, in my garage. Low cealing = no snatches.

Worth adding back to this thread, as @Kettlebelephant had pointed out in one of the "lost posts," snatches are still an option for you. If you are currently able to do a get-up without your knuckles hitting the ceiling when you stand up, then the kettlebell will not hit the ceiling on a snatch. (I had initially doubted this assertion for a hardstyle snatch, but confirmed it with video examination. Really, you're good! See video.)

@Stefan Olsson
My long posts were lost, so a shorter one.

At your place, I would try to see how much time you can decently expect for training.

- ROP will ask for three sessions, one long that can last one hour or a bit more when you reach 5 ladders of 5 (not much more if you aim for hypertrophy because of shorter rest periods), and two much shorter. You would need to adapt the heavy day to your amount of stress and accept not to progress every week (and even do some deload weeks). Overall 2 to 3 hours a week (not that much indeed, if you train at home). Focus on the press, and do swings alla S&S on separate days.
To my opinion, it is the best road for hypertrophy with a single kettlebell at your current level, but...

- if you can not reasonably expect more than two hours per week, I would go for @Geoff Neupert Kettbell express or Kettlebell burn 2.0, adapting your diet from fat loss to muscle gain.

How do you incorporate carries into S&S, out of curiosity? After get-ups? Go for time or distance? How heavy relative to weights for swings and get-ups?

I like carries, but haven't found a way to fit them in consistently.
After S&S, rest for one or two minutes. I go for time (walking for 30 to 45 seconds), with weights that will allow me to complete two to four sets. You'll have to experiment a bit.

The forum ate my post, so here are my .002 once again

I've been a new dad, twice. It is wonderful. It is also one of the most draining, exhausting, emotional experiences you will ever go through. Now is not the time to crank things up. Punch the clock, and keep it simple. If S&S plus pushups fits that bill, do it. Wait a few months, get your feet under you, then worry about making big adjustments.

Most importantly, congratulations on the baby!!!

Given goals, back to the basics.

Resilient bulletprrof Dad strength = TGU
Hypertrophy (read physique) = Press & Row
Time constrained = fewest movements to get all required planes of movement covered

Day 1: TGU w/ extra floor presses
Day 2: TGU w/ extra presses at top of TGU
Day 3: TGU w/ extra OH lunges at top of TGU

Add bent rows to all days. Swing when you have time as it doesn't seem to be that important to meeting the objectives listed above.

Experiment and get variety from the format of the session instead of more movements. Do heavy low rep days, do density sets to get as many reps in a given time, do light high rep days, GTG days, etc.

Most importantly, congratulations on the baby!!!

Given goals, back to the basics.

Resilient bulletprrof Dad strength = TGU
Hypertrophy (read physique) = Press & Row
Time constrained = fewest movements to get all required planes of movement covered

Day 1: TGU w/ extra floor presses
Day 2: TGU w/ extra presses at top of TGU
Day 3: TGU w/ extra OH lunges at top of TGU

Add bent rows to all days. Swing when you have time as it doesn't seem to be that important to meeting the objectives listed above.

Experiment and get variety from the format of the session instead of more movements. Do heavy low rep days, do density sets to get as many reps in a given time, do light high rep days, GTG days, etc.
This is actually pretty interesting.. any ideas how to program these?
@Stefan Olsson you could try this and share your results in future. :)

How do you incorporate carries into S&S, out of curiosity? After get-ups? Go for time or distance? How heavy relative to weights for swings and get-ups?

I like carries, but haven't found a way to fit them in consistently.

Assuming a home workout with a limited number of kettlebells, they may not be sufficiently challenging for simple carries. Therefore, doing them last as a finisher after complex TGU or other work is done works better. To increase the difficulty with even light weights, I recommend the cook drill as a great finisher. Start with waiter walk, then racked carry, and then carry until your grip almost fails. I found single waiter, then double carry, then single waiter other arm, then double racked carry, then double carry, then one arm alternating carry to work best for shoulder health and progression. Alternating a waiter with one hand and a carry with the other is another idea.

I find the waiter carry very challenging but the double standard carry too time-consuming to be sufficiently challenging assuming a set of bells at home, so I don't do the cook drill as written here. Maybe no one does. It needs a do-over and could be a great SF article for this site for someone more expert than me. Loaded Carries, The Cook Drill Kettlebell Carries

If you want even more "fun" the lateral raise dumbbell hold, or crucifix hold while walking with very light kettlebells or dumbells is very effective. I don't understand why only waiter walks are suggested which is only a single vertical plane. Horizontal holds are common in martial arts and strongmen workouts. In my Muay Thai class we do verticle, horizontal, and front hold for time in sequence without rest with very light dumbells. Add movement with very light weights to build stability under load.

More advanced lifters than me may have large bells to make basic carries more worthwhile when already fatigued from the workout.

Most importantly, don't let form suffer. The benefits to the yoke/upper back/core are just as important as the metabolic/grip work. I try to visualize and keep my focus on having my shoulders up rather than the burn of my grip. It works wonders for those of us with desk jobs.

This is actually pretty interesting.. any ideas how to program these?
Probably just rotate through them, maybe focus on one and do it more often than the others. I wouldn't have much structure around the session other than looking at sets of ~8 for the presses and rows. The press days would be lighter than the others. OH lunges would be the heaviest day and I wouldn't care much about the volume as long as my form was good.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom