all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Things that stuck

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Approaching that time of year and I find myself rereading books that I have read before (OS, PTTP) and some that I haven't.(Tim Ferris)
Probably like most readers in this forum I like reading up on most areas surrounding kettlebells, strength, lifestyle etc. Looking over a journal from the start of the year it got me thinking about the "things" that have stuck this year for me in terms of trying them and revisiting them.
For me it was

• S and S
  • Win Hoff cold/hot water more so than breathing
  • Low volume deadlifting
  • Meditation/spiritual practice
Those that have fallen away this year
  • Training the snatch
  • M Thai training
  • Pull ups. Only use as a warm up low reps.
  • Original S
  • Running
Haven't thought about this year but TSC and a cert in KB would be up. The 4 items that stuck on this year's list will probably be there this time next year. I want to move OS back onto the first list.
Roll on 2018.

For me the following stuck:

• S&S
  • Buteyko breathing
I'm extremely happy with the results from both, and IMO they work great together.

I have sustained S&S for a year now, first time in my life I sustain training for so long, and in an organized manner. Really happy with this.

Buteyko I started in May and have also sustained it till now. Great results as well.

Oscar tried Butyeko earlier in the year after reading the Oxygen advantage. I used an app which was pretty good, fell of the wagon by April. I can see how it works with S/S.

Oscar tried Butyeko earlier in the year after reading the Oxygen advantage. I used an app which was pretty good, fell of the wagon by April. I can see how it works with S/S.

I read The Oxygen Advantage too, I think its a nice book to find out what Buteyko is about. However, I didnt like the exercises and the suggested practice included in the book. I now think there are better approaches to practice. I didnt get very far with those practices, from an initial BOLT of 15 to about 20 - 25. Following other approaches my BOLT is now about 70.

I have been using the Advanced Buteyko app and it has worked very well for me, its very well designed. What app did you use?

What stuck:
Feeling good
Bent press
Body management and integrity: OS - resets, crawling, loaded carries
High frequency / low diversity training
Principle and technique based training
Goblet squats instead of heavy back squats

What went away:
All barbell work excluding bent press (recently) and hands & thighs lift (from time to time)
2-3 sessions a week programing
Squats as strength move (still used as movement prep)
The term warmup
The use of commercial gyms

You have used OS for a long time Shahaf. I need to get back to using it in a more systematic manner. Do you feel better for dropping out the barbell work?

Do you feel better for dropping out the barbell work?
Not exactly.

Dropping out barbell work was an out come, not by design. As part of FMS/SF/OS philosophy I have adopted I pretty much follow Occam's razor - it is vain to do with more what can be done with less.

Antoine Se Saint-Exupery definition of perfection is a more poetic approach to the same things (which if I remember correctly is mentioned in Movement and at least one of Pavel's books) - Perfection is not when there is no more to add, but no more to take away

No matter which wording you prefer, I don't need barbell work for my goals so I dropped it. I feel better because I do the things I need (my body reacts best to) while saving my resources by avoiding the things I don't. The saved resource is than diverted and invested in things I enjoy... This makes me feel even better :)

Tim Anderson he has a nice saying - it feels good to feel good :)

What stuck
- Running
- Deadlift singles
- Keeping a semi-public training log
- Avoiding sugar
- Ice baths
- Consistent meditation and training are and have been stuck for a long time
What didn't stick
- Pressing

I tend to do things in bunches, but then stop for any amount of time before returning. In this regard, I don't have many things that "stick" for a very long time, but have had many things have a positive impact even though they are not a daily consistent practice. For example, for about 4 months I read so many books it's incredible, but then didn't read for almost two months while I got hooked back into guitar (buying a new one helps!). Now, I'm on a reading kick again. Things that I have done this type of back and forth with include meditation, breathing practice, KB's, piano practice, brazilian jiu jitsu (stopped this moreso for club closing/moving, but I really want to start this again) and many others.

What has stuck long term so far:
-journaling - I use the Daily Stoic journal by Ryan Holiday. Loved his books and love the concept of this one
-daily goal to improve myself is some way. Mentally, emotionally, physically, anyway possible.

I can't think of anything specific right now I have dropped for good.

@conor78 I definitely count myself as one of Tim Ferriss's "1000 true fans", but fanboy-ing aside I think his books are gold mines of future learning. Tools of Titans and Tribe of Mentors probably gave me over 30 books to read that I discovered from his guests.

What stuck for me:
S&S
Fighter pull-up
Maff running
Snatching

What didn’t stick:
Deadlifts
Pressing
Original strength

What I plan to accomplish in 2018:
-sub 35 minute 5 mile run
-use OS daily
-get 100 reps in the commando snatch test (5 mins/32kg)

I’m sure there’s other things I’ll plan on accomplishing. But this will have to do for now
-WF

2017 was my best year ever when it comes to training. A great, great time.

The obvious first difference to the earlier years was starting barbell training. In a commercial gym. I wanted to focus on the barbell, so I did less kettlebell training, and in the end even loaned my kettlebells away so they could be of more use to someone. I haven't trained with the kettlebells for over nine months. The barbell training turned into an interest in powerlifting pretty quickly. It may be, that after all these years, I've found my sport.

The second thing that stuck was a more profound appreciation and interest for programming.

The third thing that I think had a good effect on my training was starting a training journal and making it public and my training open to criticism. It forces me to be more objective and accountable. And reading the log after a while really puts things in perspective.

The fourth thing that I find good, which also has something to do with the log, is recording my training on video. The videos are about as honest as it gets. I get to see if I squat deep enough and how I move with the lifts. It's easier to correct issues after seeing them on video. I also get to compare my lifts from earlier on to how I do them later, and with notes I can understand what works and what doesn't. And the videos are the best way to get feedback from other people. Even if they saw the lift happen, a video is something where it's far easier to concentrate on it and you can watch it as many times as possible and concentrate on observing different parts of technique. And videos make it really easy to get feedback from all the great people who can't get to see you lift in the gym, like all my strong training partners here.

For the fifth thing, I think my back has gotten better. I've had back aches my whole adult life, regardless of how I trained bodyweight or with kettlebells. With the caveat of how I trained with them, of course. Still, the back has been bothering me whenever I did some little menial tasks like shovelling the snow, washing dishes, doing the hoovering, etc. Something where I have to round my back for a while. The barbell training has greatly improved my back. It's not perfect, and I'm not sure if it ever will be, but I'm grateful for all the improvements I've made with it. I'm not sure if it's residual tension or midsection strength or hypertrophy or all of them or something else totally, but something I've been doing has worked.

For the sixth, and last thing, I like to think that I've gotten stronger. Stronger than I've ever been. Maybe even "strong" as it is, that I could think of myself as being reasonably strong. I've made the most progress in the least amount of time ever in my life. It's great in and out of the gym.

For 2018, I'm going to keep the ship on course and I eagerly look forward to the treasures the distant shores will bring.

@conor78 I definitely count myself as one of Tim Ferriss's "1000 true fans", but fanboy-ing aside I think his books are gold mines of future learning. Tools of Titans and Tribe of Mentors probably gave me over 30 books to read that I discovered from his guests.
@wespom
I never really engaged with Tim Ferris for a long time but like yourself I've read both of those books over Xmas. Treasure trove of wisdom. Will use both of those books this year. Enjoyed Pavel's and Ed Coan's articles.

What stuck for me:
S&S
Fighter pull-up
Maff running
Snatching

What didn’t stick:
Deadlifts
Pressing
Original strength

What I plan to accomplish in 2018:
-sub 35 minute 5 mile run
-use OS daily
-get 100 reps in the commando snatch test (5 mins/32kg)

I’m sure there’s other things I’ll plan on accomplishing. But this will have to do for now
-WF
3 mighty goals there. Commando challenge and 35 min run would be some going. Hopefully you'll nail it. Good luck with that. Need to work OS back in myself. Dropped it after March and missed doing it since.
2017 was my best year ever when it comes to training. A great, great time.

The obvious first difference to the earlier years was starting barbell training. In a commercial gym. I wanted to focus on the barbell, so I did less kettlebell training, and in the end even loaned my kettlebells away so they could be of more use to someone. I haven't trained with the kettlebells for over nine months. The barbell training turned into an interest in powerlifting pretty quickly. It may be, that after all these years, I've found my sport.

The second thing that stuck was a more profound appreciation and interest for programming.

The third thing that I think had a good effect on my training was starting a training journal and making it public and my training open to criticism. It forces me to be more objective and accountable. And reading the log after a while really puts things in perspective.

The fourth thing that I find good, which also has something to do with the log, is recording my training on video. The videos are about as honest as it gets. I get to see if I squat deep enough and how I move with the lifts. It's easier to correct issues after seeing them on video. I also get to compare my lifts from earlier on to how I do them later, and with notes I can understand what works and what doesn't. And the videos are the best way to get feedback from other people. Even if they saw the lift happen, a video is something where it's far easier to concentrate on it and you can watch it as many times as possible and concentrate on observing different parts of technique. And videos make it really easy to get feedback from all the great people who can't get to see you lift in the gym, like all my strong training partners here.

For the fifth thing, I think my back has gotten better. I've had back aches my whole adult life, regardless of how I trained bodyweight or with kettlebells. With the caveat of how I trained with them, of course. Still, the back has been bothering me whenever I did some little menial tasks like shovelling the snow, washing dishes, doing the hoovering, etc. Something where I have to round my back for a while. The barbell training has greatly improved my back. It's not perfect, and I'm not sure if it ever will be, but I'm grateful for all the improvements I've made with it. I'm not sure if it's residual tension or midsection strength or hypertrophy or all of them or something else totally, but something I've been doing has worked.

For the sixth, and last thing, I like to think that I've gotten stronger. Stronger than I've ever been. Maybe even "strong" as it is, that I could think of myself as being reasonably strong. I've made the most progress in the least amount of time ever in my life. It's great in and out of the gym.

For 2018, I'm going to keep the ship on course and I eagerly look forward to the treasures the distant shores will bring.
Brilliant years work. Most progress in least amount of time...love it..

What stuck
- Running
- Deadlift singles
- Keeping a semi-public training log
- Avoiding sugar
- Ice baths
- Consistent meditation and training are and have been stuck for a long time
What didn't stick
- Pressing
How many times a week did you get out running?

I ran 3 days a week for pretty much the whole year. Found it to be pretty sustainable; I can recover from lifting when I run and vice versa.

Things that stuck:

1. Hill Sprints
2. Tactical Barbell lifting + conditioning protocols (80%LISS/20%HIIT)
3. Kettlebell swing finishers (sets of 10)

Things that didn't:

1. KB snatches
2. TGUs
3. Wim Hoff Breathing technique

I made it a point to make at least one cardio session per week hill sprints, either regular or Apex (KB swings at top). Life interfered and throughout the year I'd miss a workout here and there, but overall I was pretty consistent. Game changer for me in terms of cardio, body composition and overall energy.

Tried to get into the Wim Hoff method, but ended up dropping it for simple breath meditation instead. But I can't say I've been regular enough with the meditation yet to count it as something that "stuck". Maybe by the end of 2018.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom