all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Thoughts on my kettlebell program?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Hey folks,

Here is my current program

Monday
Simple and Sinister

Tuesday
Clean (thinking about making it a clean and press)
Front Squat

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Press (would like to place heavy snatch here)
Front or Goblet squat

Friday
Conditioning (swings or snatches depending on how shoulders feel)
EMOTM 10 swings or five snatches per side, rest out the minute, switch sides as long as I can pass the nasal breathing test. Thanks @Steve Freides for reminding me of this

All strength days are 5x5 and I stop when the last rep doesn't feel like the first rep of the day. I work with children and have a small one of my own so I need plenty of energy for the day. Plus now you can add snow shovelling to my volume.

Thoughts? I need time on the weekend to get other things done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry GPP?

Carries are a good idea. I do have a carry day in my contrast week. I currently have a heavy snatch day for my contrast week.

Thanks for the feedback @natewhite39

think of snow shoveling as as swing the hips do the work, not the arms and shoulders. I am from Newfoundland, Canada. I have shoveled alot of snow.

Shoveling snow is real. Good point from @Geoff Chafe ...
It's really important to be mindful and have good form and technique when snow shoveling. I know more than one person who tweaked themselves shoveling. And more than one person that has had a coronary event. It's no joke.
If you have to do a lot it's prudent in my opinion to factor this into your overall training workload.

Today it's going to be SS (snow shoveling) GTG for me

think of snow shoveling as as swing the hips do the work, not the arms and shoulders. I am from Newfoundland, Canada. I have shoveled alot of snow.
Near Toronto here. Yeah, I don't think we get them same amount of snow that you do.

Shoveling snow is real. Good point from @Geoff Chafe ...
It's really important to be mindful and have good form and technique when snow shoveling. I know more than one person who tweaked themselves shoveling. And more than one person that has had a coronary event. It's no joke.
If you have to do a lot it's prudent in my opinion to factor this into your overall training workload.

Today it's going to be SS (snow shoveling) GTG for me

It's true. I did a full simple and Sinister one day, then shovelled stupid heavy snow a half an hour later. Was not good.

I do it in stages now. Shovel, take a break. Shovel take a break.

About The coronary event comment. People don't realize how many people die a year shovelling snow.

@Mark Kidd We get a lot of snow in Newfoundland, but don't you get that lake effect snow there, or is that further west.

S&S=Swings and Shoveling, Canadian Kettlebell Training, and when you slip and fall you know how to get up.

Good question. I don't listen to weather reports so I don't know for sure. I am west of there but an hour west. @offwidth about an hour west of TO. You?

These days I alternate between Michigan and Colorado. But I lived in Brampton for a number of years

Hey @pet'

Sets are 5 max
Reps are 5 max
With a 16kg bell

Exception
TGU is 5 per side max

Conditioning day
EMOTM
1 hand swing ten reps rest then switch sides
Snatches
Right now about 20 per side with a 12kg

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
Quite good ;)

All strength days are 5x5 and I stop when the last rep doesn't feel like the first rep of the day
Very solid approach called 5TRM (Technical Rep Max, that is the maximal number of rep (in your case, 5) you can do, while maintaing exactly the same (good) form)

This permits to keep good form and avoid exhaustion.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I also forgot every 4th week is either a contrast week or a deload week. Usually it is a work on exercises my form isn't top notch in and therefore use less weight or body weight exercises or mobility.

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
every 4th week is either a contrast week or a deload week
Once again, great eh eh ! ;)
About the deload, here is a link that might interest you:
Deloading 101: What Is a Deload and How Do You Do It?

However, I prefer a total week rest if I need it. Otherwise, while I progress, I do not deload. Sure it is a mistake I do, but due to regular travels, planning that kind of training is too difficult for me.

My deload would be in that case a GTG with OAOL PU and Pistol, and possibly HSPU

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom