all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Too much pressing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You are right. The center of gravity changes as the bell gets bigger. But it also gets heavier. Some combination of both makes it harder.

I've found it is often easier to press stacked kettlebells than equivalent weight in a single, larger bell. Even with increased awkwardness factor of two bells shifting, the load center of mass is closer to the forearm.

I was getting the info from here : Andrew Read

It's in a comment section a couple comments down.

Thank you for posting that! Pressing from kneeling is a different beast from standing! I tried doing Gus Petersen´s Viking Salute with my regular pressing bell .. it was a bad idea, I had to move down in weight. The day after my midsection were sore as hell. I will keep doing kneeling presses, they rock!

Doing RoP with kneeling presses and renegade rows sounds like great fun!

You are preaching to the choir about S&S! The two reasons I am hesitant to focus on it are
1. I can complete it with the 48kg which is the heaviest kettlebell I have (which is why I would plan to challenge myself with crawls and carries on variety days, this is the option I am most likely to pursue).
2. Great coaches on this forum have suggested that after around the 40kg, completing the ROP will be a better bang for your buck.
Oh! You and your coaches are way beyond me then! It's interesting that beyond 40kg ROP is better. I guess this makes sense. But why don't you get into the Return of the Kettlebell stuff? Pavel does have a program for people who can press the 48kg bell already, using 2 32s (I think) to start and then working up to doing again two moves (a push and a pull) with a 48 in each hand!

Once I complete the ROP and purchase some new bells that will be the plan! For now, this thread has convinced me to take a well earned break and work on owning S&S with some original strength. In time, I’ll return to the ROP!

Some instinct in me told me that handling the 40 in S&S would be good enough to maintain; even just the 32 is fantastic for judo strength and overall fitness. At the same time I could never understand the logic of NOT doing presses if I own kettlebells. They take no time yet make me very strong. No reason at all not to do them along with S&S. Also, they don't really take much technique. Easy stuff, take no time but huge benefits - this makes them an obvious choice for training.

You are right. The center of gravity changes as the bell gets bigger. But it also gets heavier. Some combination of both makes it harder.

The weight is a much bigger factor than the offset of the bell. :) simply common sense

I don't understand this - for whom is it better, and what is meant by "better" in this context.

-S-
I forget completely what I was talking about sorry. I probably meant it in the context of something someone had written in their post. I'd have no reason to believe the statement myself due to lack of experience with it and also due to favouring S&S personally! :)

I probably should have written "It is interesting that you have found that over 40kg ROP is 'better' for you."

I don't understand this - for whom is it better, and what is meant by "better" in this context.

-S-
Sorry, I'm spending about 90% of my time in the French language as of about a year ago, and I think some of my English sharpness is slipping.

Take it easy for 1 week or so. Let your elbows heal. After that I would also recommend you switch to another program for some time and then maybe come back to ROP.
You could focus on S&S or a double KB program like KB Strong, Double Kettlebell Manifesto, KB Muscle or focus on the Double Kettlebell Clean and Jerk besically anything that promotes a change while still keeping you on track to a big press.

Concerning your elbows: do egyptians and/or the teacup drill preferably daily (1-2 sets of 5-10 reps). It is not taxing at all and will help a lot with elbow/shoulder pre-; and rehab.

Last edited:
It is interesting that i have found the bigger the bell, the more relative comfort I have with it. I am a larger man, but I find a bigger bell makes more surface to surface contact due to its shape. Granted, there are limits eventually, but the 32 and 40 fit nicely in the rack and get ups for me. Haven't tried bigger, but I am curious.

+1 ready for new program. S&S is my default program when something doesn't feel quite right. I forget how good the S&S practice makes me feel. Your perspective may be different after a couple weeks of the S&S recharge. S&S gives more than it takes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom