all posts post new thread

Old Forum Tough Mudder programming suggestions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

joefalck

Level 1 Valued Member
Brothers and Sisters in Strength,

I signed up for the Tough Mudder in Chicago in May as a motivational goal and to have fun with some friends.  I'm trying to get together a plan from now until then to get ready, I need a solid outline to follow.  I'm a big boy and still need to lose some weight, already dropped 20lbs. using Geoff Neupert's kettlebell Burn Extreme.  Still need to drop some more.  I'm thinking, in addition to continuing to clean up my diet, 2 days of doubles clean and jerks, a day or two of running, and a variety day incorporating goblet squats, kb overhead squats, windmills, getups, etc.  I know i'm gonna need to get some pull ups in too, I'm planning to cycle in those in a few months after some more weight loss and strength increases.  That seems like a reasonable plan to me, but I'm not a programming expert.  Thanks in advance  to any insight or tips anyone might have on programming for this or race day.

Joe

Can I suggest Pavel's force recon program? Pretty much the exact thing it was designed for. There's many places to find it but here is a good write up with some extra idea thrown in -

http://www.giryagirl.com/Pavel-Force-Recon-Workout-Ladies-and-Adapted-Versions

In Australia the events are around 17-18km long with the first almost 10km a straight run so I'd work some decent length runs in there too. Otherwise I'd think three runs and the Recon workout done as a two day split (ABA one week, BAB the next) would be a great starting place.

I ran the tough mudder in Wisconsin this year.  Work up to running about 8 miles.  The obstacles just need a basic amount of strength, nothing extraordinary.  Here was my plan:

Run 2 days per week minimum, 3 if I had the time and felt good.

Strength 3 times per week following a A/B split Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

A: TGU x 5 minutes, Swings x 10 - 20 minutes (I varied the work to rest ratio)

B: TGU x 5 minutes, Leg Cranks (working up to 5 rounds with no rest)

Leg Cranks I did were 20 squats, 20 lunges, 20 split jumps, 10 squat jumps

I added in pullups every so often but did not focus to much on them.

The TGU build enough strength for any of the obstacles.  The swings and leg cranks built work capacity and made the hills feel easy.

Hi Joe~

I also did the Tough Mudder in Wisconsin in both 2011 and 2012.  As long as you are keeping up with your regular strength routine....then your preparation does not need to be that elaborate.  The obstacles are all very doable with an average amount of strength....but it's the running that will get you if you haven't trained for that.

My recommendation is to get comfortable running at least 8 miles.  It's really a lot of fun.  Enjoy.

Ditto Patrick and Carolyn's comments. My son did the Austin, TX event last month and qualified for the World's Toughest Mudder. According to him it's all about the run. It never hurts to be young, strong, and fast.

just make sure you do not neglect you strength work. best injury prevention there is.....

Joe -

I followed the Force Recon & Easy Strength (per Andrew's advice) programs over the past couple of years and have completed a handful of Tough Mudders since.  As others have mentioned here it's more cardio based than strength but have solid strength foundation acts as battle armor to ward off injury.

I kept my cardio very limited yet focused, sticking to one easy trail run, sprints and one long slow distance run per week.  Building up to 6-8 miles on trails will be enough endurance base for most Mudders.

Remember that the Tough Mudder is not a race so get out there and have fun.  If you decide that you want to test your fitness check out the Spartan Races.  They're timed events and are every bit as fun and will provide you with a placing afterwards.

Enjoy & keep us posted on how it goes.

-lars

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom