all posts post new thread

Training On Lentils

Failed with 5x5 32kg, only did 4x5 32kg.
Have to re-consider the tactics.

Did some testing today:
1) one arm press 40+6 with both arms once
2) dfsq 40+32 7 times

ad 1) Press was strong and controlled
ad 2) Really pleased with the squats - before I did it for only 2 or 3 reps

Decided to stop my 'homebrew grinding'.

Short summary: Happy as I got stronger.

Longer summary:
1) I've gained about 4 kg which brought me to 120 kg of weight - out of it I guess is 2-3kg of lean mass,
mainly thighs but also triceps, delts and core
2) Squat strength increased a lot
3) Expected a bit more for my one arm press gains; I've pressed 46 kg already before. I think it only underlines StrongFirst wisdom "to press a lot one has to press a lot".

Can't believe it myself, but I got to the point where I did not figure out any better than starting S&S. It happened on Monday.
I plan to do it almost everyday, as the book says.
I started with 6 x 10 swing and 10 x 1 GU. Book says 5x10 swings but I like symmetry.

SS1 - SS3
3x10 OAS per arm, 5x1 GU per arm, 32 kg

Good plan. S&S is a superb program. You should achieve Simple in no time, since you already practice with 32 kg bell. I look forward to following your progression.

@masa thanks!
Was chasing the strength whole last year and got to weight 120kg again.
So I decided to work also on my conditioning and S&S fits a bill here I guess.

SS10 - SS12
3x10 OAS per arm, 5x1 GU per arm, 32 kg

- 12 practices in 14 days
- I think i am starting to get a grip of swings (hinge depth, shoulder packing etc.)
- no urge to increase swing volume yet
- get-ups feel easier already

=> I enjoy it much more than I expected

I really like the following quote from TV series Marco Polo which I saw only recently (emphasize mine):

“Kung fu. It means, supreme skill from hard work. A great poet has reached kung fu. The painter, the calligrapher, they can be said to have kung fu. Even the cook, the one who sweeps steps or a masterful servant can have kung fu. Practice. Preparation. Endless repetition. Until your mind is weary, and your bones ache. Until you’re too tired to sweat, too wasted to breathe. That is the way, the only way one acquires kung fu.”

I think it holds true also for our ”kettlebell kung-fu”.

Neglected updating but not training.

I do not continue with S&S; not my cup of tea.

Right now I train:
- 3-4 times/week
- every session I do: press (one arm) and jerk (one or two arms)
- then I add some more from: clean, snatch, double snatch (like it!), squat (mostly goblet), BU press, curl (crush or normal)
- following SF methodology: up to 5 reps for grinds, up to 10 reps for ballistic, max power and tension, enough rest between sets

Back
Top Bottom