all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Training Program for Soccer player

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zick36

Level 2 Valued Member
I would appreciate any insights or best practices in developing programming for high school soccer players with the intent to increase speed, stamina, and endurance. Personally, I have been following Pavel's S&S and Q&D along with strength work and Aerobic (LSR) running and its been great. However, what are the best practices to develop a program to ensure a high school soccer player peaks, so they are ready for their season? How should I break up AGT, Aerobic Running, strength training, track work/speed work, and Acid Bath workouts to remove plateau's and to peak? I appreciate any thoughts

The first thing that stands out to me is peaking, which is something that I would avoid.

I understand that the offseason is the time to build on weaknesses and use the spare time for less specific things like strength training. However, the strength should be maintained during the season.

The specifics of a training program are so dependent on the context and the means of the individual team, that it's really hard to answer anything about it.

In an ideal world I would have the players do aerobic base training up to their ears. I would have them just run. Strength train a couple of times a week. I would have them do basic bodyweight exercises and also something big like a deadlift or a squat. During the season I think a single session with weights would be enough to maintain, and the loading and volume would be adjusted accordingly. The bodyweight exercises could be continued in mini group sessions on the field, and maybe use things like resistance bands in addition.

I would expect the specific soccer practice to take care of all of the higher intensity conditioning necessary, especially when the season is underway.

(All that said with little practical experience coaching soccer players)

Hi @Zick36 . Welcome!
No direct experience here.
I like what @Antti has proposed and also what you are already doing.
I think sprint repeats would be more called for than glycolytic sprints as soccer practice should already take care of that.

Hi @Zick36 . Welcome!
No direct experience here.
I like what @Antti has proposed and also what you are already doing.
I think sprint repeats would be more called for than glycolytic sprints as soccer practice should already take care of that.

The sprint repeats is a great idea. Something I forgot.

I would do them once or twice a week. If in doubt, do less. I would have the players run on flat ground, downhill and uphill. I would also say to keep the distance shorter rather than longer, depending on how long they can go. Again, better less than too much.

The varied terrain is a good idea for the aerobic runs as well.

The sprint repeats is a great idea. Something I forgot.

I would do them once or twice a week. If in doubt, do less. I would have the players run on flat ground, downhill and uphill. I would also say to keep the distance shorter rather than longer, depending on how long they can go. Again, better less than too much.

The varied terrain is a good idea for the aerobic runs as well.
I appreciate your insights and provides good basis of how I will develop the program, thank you

I’ve never trained a soccer player before, but I do have a couple decades+ training high level military forces. Like them, soccer players need to be able to move quickly on their feet, but also have a very high level of endurance.
Squats are great for strength, but can also make one slow if done without a proper plan. I suggest along with your usual training protocols, adding in swings, get ups, cleans, carries (farmers, suitcase, single and double rack, and single overhead), windmills, and snatches if able. Most of the issues I work in regards to endurance and speed is where they feel sluggish and like they have weights in their legs. That acidity buildup is caused by an over abundance of carbon dioxide and nitrogen in their blood, which is slowing them down. They need to build their core muscles so their diaphragm can force them to take in more oxygen. They may not feel winded, but their slow or heavy legs say otherwise.
My methodology has been to teach them the hinge and ab contraction in whatever they’re doing, and it’s worked wonders.
As for their feet game though, that’s way beyond me. I teach quick upper body twitch, using the lower body as the stable base which needs to be able to rapidly move and pivot once weakened and smoked. -Precision combat shooting under extreme duress.

Shuttle sprint repeats for the beautiful game. Pre season.
10 m shuttles. Accelerate, decelerate,touch the line, turn, accelerate etc x6/8 rest a minute repeat.
Build a little. Repeat for 20m after a couple weeks.
Before practice/skills as warm up.
Closer to season, use after practice until roasted. Make it very hard. Classic prep.

You're young. You'll be fine.
Whatever level, shuttle runs will feature, or equivalent same but different sort of thing.
To be in line with current sport sprint training, include linear max velocity work preferably prior to training/practice. Read JB Morin..
Paraphrasing....in game running injuries are often caused by deceleration forces and change of direction at speeds players are not conditioned for.
Max velocity running here improves speed but also preps the body to handle greater forces, as rarely do players reach too speed. So sprinting for injury prevention with a handy side effect of being faster.
Recovery v linear top speed. The former is probably more important for sport generally.
But, differentiate between max velocity and shuttle sprints. They are not the same thing.
I'm not a coach btw. I sprint now in my late 50s. Played football up to my mid 40s.
JB Morin research is top quality but not all coaches agree with the philosophy.
I'd read up more on his pre season guides for details. I'm more interested in linear speed but he is more about football sports conditioning. Also I think Mike Perry, who is on the forum now and then, designs pre-season training. Worth checking in with him.
If in doubt, shuttle runs. Classic conditioning for football.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom