all posts post new thread

TSC TSC Master's prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
Tactical Strength Challenge Prep.

I am looking for programming ideas for a TSC prep program for the next May event. I will join a gym today.

I have been working at home on fixing a number of mobility issues (no pain or injury), walking and rucking frequently during lockdowns, bodyweight stuff, a couple rounds of the Giant double KB program earlier this year. etc. but not really pushing myself due to workload and stress. However, I am feeling pretty good these days, so I decided to go back to the gym where deadlifting is an option again. I think I need a clearer goal and challenge. So, TSC it is! At my age, 52, and sedentary (academic job), it is a significant challenge as it should be.

There is lots of info scattered around and I found a few plans like this TSC Training Plans for Athletes of All Levels | StrongFirst There are other articles for those more advanced than me. However, I need advice based on the following baseline:

Here is my baseline and weak points. I have taken all the StrongFirst User courses.

1. I looked at the current results and I would probably get top 25 now. My main goal is really just to have a goal, honestly and see where I am at.

- 145 KG deadlift but that was three years ago. Would need to rebuild.
- Strict hollow hold chinups 6 but difficulty touching chest to bar which is a key to TSC rules. Might be thoratic mobility issues as much as strength.
- Snatches, lots of work to be done. Haven't practiced it enough or tested. Biggest one to work on.

Anyway, except for the top 19, the TSC results seem really uneven with some with good pulls but no pullups etc. I think that I might do OK with lots of room for growth in the next 5 months. Tactical Strength Challenge—2021 Competition Edition

I need to build a balanced program, 4-5 times a week that I could use for the next three months and then reassess. Because my main goal is not to win, I want to focus on what would help me develop all skills rather than a specific competition strategy to focus on deadlift for example.

I am also interested in exercises that would supplement my goals. I might keep rucking once a week to build endurance and do high volume double KB clean and squat for the same reasons like the Giant.

Any programming or assessment advice would be appreciated.

Hi,
Competing in the TSC is a great goal. I have done my fair share of them. As far as being competitive in terms of "placing", you will need to look at the sweet spot for each event in your division. To do this, I'd look back at the previous 3 or 4 TSCs and calculate an average for the place you want to be or higher. There will be an average score for each event where all the "traffic" is. If you can get your scores in front of the traffic for each event you have a good chance of placing well. There will be outliers that you cannot predict. The 250# man that does a 600# deadlift but no pull ups. The cardio monster that does 140+ snatches but deadlifts 225#. Etc.

These are the themes in my training that I have used with success in my TSCs. Mind you. All volumes, reps and intensities will vary person to person based on a plethora of variables. Some people respond to motrin while others use Tylenol to get a desired pain relieving affect. Some need Percocet if you get the metaphor. These are my pain relievers that I try to use the minimum affective dose for progression.

Deadlift:
Don't deadlift unless your technique needs work. Do weighted carries and heavy swings. About 8 weeks before the event do a peaking deadlift program such as a Plan Strong plan.

Pull ups:
Hang. Lots of hanging. Dead hangs. Bent arm hangs. Lock offs. Hang plus pull up combinations. If you get really good at top position and bottom position of the pull up the middle will take care of itself. This will work you up to about 15 pull ups. Then you need a stronger dose.

Snatch:
Volume phases to build a base. From there when you can test you must find out if you are limited by strength, endurance, or technique (hands ripping) and go from there. Before the event find the best scheme for your particular skills set. Such as 20-20-15-15-10-10-5-5.

Best of luck

I wrote myself a plan for Spring 2016 TSC... As I remember I sent a first draft to @Al Ciampa and he helped me make some adjustments to it. It worked well for me. You're welcome to glean some ideas from it. My TSC snatch weight was 16 kg.

1639697158013.png

Hi,
Competing in the TSC is a great goal. I have done my fair share of them. As far as being competitive in terms of "placing", you will need to look at the sweet spot for each event in your division. To do this, I'd look back at the previous 3 or 4 TSCs and calculate an average for the place you want to be or higher. There will be an average score for each event where all the "traffic" is. If you can get your scores in front of the traffic for each event you have a good chance of placing well. There will be outliers that you cannot predict. The 250# man that does a 600# deadlift but no pull ups. The cardio monster that does 140+ snatches but deadlifts 225#. Etc.

I was a bit surprised at how unbalanced some of the scores were out of the top ten. Apart from some great top 8 scores, the deadlift totals were not as high as I thought they would be. Since I am a novice at this and intermediate at best, I will develop well-rounded skills even if it is not the best competition strategy as it is more a personal development goal for three months and then the last two maybe see where my strength is. Probably deadlift.

Deadlift:
Don't deadlift unless your technique needs work. Do weighted carries and heavy swings. About 8 weeks before the event do a peaking deadlift program such as a Plan Strong plan.

I need to rebuild an old PR. Haven't deadlifted for a couple years so I think a simple PTTP linear programs would do the trick. But taking your advice, I might hold off on the full deadlift program and just do some light technique volume until my other events are stronger. Thanks.
Pull ups:
Hang. Lots of hanging. Dead hangs. Bent arm hangs. Lock offs. Hang plus pull up combinations. If you get really good at top position and bottom position of the pull up the middle will take care of itself. This will work you up to about 15 pull ups. Then you need a stronger dose.

Good advice. I have a program by Aleks Salkin focussed on Hanging I will revisit. His pullup program also focuses on top and bottom. I agree this is a neglected approach that is valuable. I can add volume in month 3-4 of 5 maybe. Fifteen is impressive. I have a lot to improve. I find the TSK neck/chest to bar (not the height) a bit difficult.

Snatch:
Volume phases to build a base. From there when you can test you must find out if you are limited by strength, endurance, or technique (hands ripping) and go from there. Before the event find the best scheme for your particular skills set. Such as 20-20-15-15-10-10-5-5.

Best of luck

Snatch I still basic technique work to do unfortunately but 5 months to prepare. Yes, it seems I should build a foundation for two months and then figure out a strategy and weaknesses from there.

Thanks for the ideas.

Two things about the snatch test. Do at least two snatch tests prior to the TSC. Sounds intuitive, I know. At @Anna C and my SFG I there was a candidate who had never before attempted a snatch test. The wheels came off very quickly! A peaking event is not the time for the first time. Please attempt the snatch test as soon as you’re close to ready.

Also, it’s total snatches. Don’t automatically go 10/10, 10/10, 5/5, etc. Yes, start that way….but: it’s total snatches. Let’s say your right arm is stronger and you’ve done 10/10 3 or 4 times and are fatiguing on your left side. Try 8/5 or 7/5, etc. I’ve done that on several snatch tests and it definitely balances it out and makes a considerable difference.

Two things about the snatch test. Do at least two snatch tests prior to the TSC. Sounds intuitive, I know. At @Anna C and my SFG I there was a candidate who had never before attempted a snatch test. The wheels came off very quickly! A peaking event is not the time for the first time. Please attempt the snatch test as soon as you’re close to ready.

Also, it’s total snatches. Don’t automatically go 10/10, 10/10, 5/5, etc. Yes, start that way….but: it’s total snatches. Let’s say your right arm is stronger and you’ve done 10/10 3 or 4 times and are fatiguing on your left side. Try 8/5 or 7/5, etc. I’ve done that on several snatch tests and it definitely balances it out and makes a considerable difference.

Thanks for the specific tips. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for apart from the general articles on each of the movements. I am lucky to be 5 months out, so I will test the snatch starting the second month every three weeks or so but not two weeks before the TSC I guess.

Thanks for the specific tips. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for apart from the general articles on each of the movements. I am lucky to be 5 months out, so I will test the snatch starting the second month every three weeks or so but not two weeks before the TSC I guess.
You’re welcome! Yes, every three weeks sounds good. That’s far enough apart to provide a good progress report and enough times to turn the snatch test into just simply something you do. I agree with not testing inside of two weeks. You will already be prepared and go into the TSC fresh.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom