all posts post new thread

Old Forum Turkish get up only routine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reggie

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys,

While I am waiting for an assesment of my movement and injuries I am going to do a TGU only routine. I know people tend to be against doing higher rep TGUs but I always enjoyed Bryce Lanes 50/20 workout so am intending to do that changing arm every rep. I do not intend it to be a crossfit style workout, I am going to ensure I keep it smooth and technically correct. I want to drop back down to my old fighting weight, try to fix old injuries up and obviously get strong again. I was thinking of the old time strong men who often supposedly never did anything else until they could get up with 100lbs.

Kyle

I think a type of Escalating Density Training with the TGU could work well, however you would definitely need to adjust the structure; IE I do not think anyone can do 50 turkish get ups in 20 minutes with something resembling a challenging weight.

You could start with something like 10 minutes of get ups, and when you hit 6 each side in that time frame go up to 12 minutes, when you hit six each side bump up to 14 and so on. When you are ready, increase the weight and go back to 10 minutes.

That said, if you are focusing on increasing strength over fitness, you may be better off keeping the reps low and the rest long, with a higher frequency (E.G. programming from S&S).

I have done nothing but getups before. Start at 20 minutes and work up to a full hour. Do only singles, moderate weight and rest as much as you need.  Let the time increase the volume, do not try to push the density. you will be pleased.

Tamer,

Just as an idea, about how many getups per side might we be talking about in 20 minutes and 60 minutes?

Tamer,

I would also like to ask how often you did these high volume getups.

Thanks for the replies, maybe 50/20 is a bit high for TGUs maybe 40/20 would be better so that is 30 seconds a rep and by that time I should be ready to move up weight.

I am looking for strength but because of my hypermobility I am wary of doing really heavy get ups, say 20/20 if the same format is kept.

Tamer thank you for the reply, I was not intending to race into the density just simply set a timer and do some get ups resting as needed and the stronger I get the less rest I will naturally need.

Do people think doing this everyday would be too much so maybe stick to 3 times a week?

Cheers

Kyle

Maybe start with 3 times a week and see how it feels? It's easier to add sessions than to drop them.

I don't have it in front of me, but I remember at one point doing 40 in an hour. I was doing them twice a week.

I did this as a monthly challenge - the objective was to do 500 getups over a 30 day period.  I used volume instead of time, but I roughly did 26 (13 per side) per day (5days per week) with the 32, and this took anywhere from 28 to 35 mins depending on how I broke down the rep structure.  some days I would do one per side then stand up write down"1", take a sip of water, back down on the floor, one per side, stand up, write down "2", water, etc.  other days I would do consecutive reps per side.  some days stay on the floor for the full 26.  I will say this,  when I completed the challenge my body felt more balanced and strong than it had felt in 15 years.  I literally felt great!  I plan to do it again in the month of June, currently doing S&S and loving it.

but, again, I think the TGU only training is fantastic.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom