all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Turkish Get Ups One Day Per Week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

twillenberg01

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey,
I just wanted to get some ideas on what the best way to program in turkish get ups would be if i could only fit them in one day per week? My main goal with it would be to go heavier with it, maybe even progress to the beast. Any ideas would be very helpful.

once a week will take you forever to get to the beast, unless you are already inhumanly strong, and even then...

If it's really a goal than focus on that -> do S&S
If you just like the movement and it's benefits -> do a couple of light ones in your warmup

depends on what you are doing on the other 6 days - presses, swings, goblets, deadlifts, sprints, carries, sleep? i think you can find you way to the beast once per week if the other 6 days are programmed properly - grinds, lots of reps performed in groups of 1 to 5, with lots of rest between those reps - and ballistics, some aggressive some less so, 10+ reps per set - not to burnout, but to feel good - these - with good doses of recovery - will build your strength and help achieve your goal.

I was only doing them once a week until recently. I got fairly proficient with lighter bells (up to about 28 kg) but as others have said it wasn't really enough volume to progress much further for me. I could do them with a 32kg bell but it was nasty to look at and borderline dangerous. So I added another day and the 32 kg became a much easier lift fairly fast.

I'm at the stage where I can lift the 40kg on two days a week practice but I'm not really at the stage where I could say I own that lift as it's still a bit scrappy through the transition.

If the TGU was my focus I'd be doing it at least 3 days a week.

what is your best getup at the moment?

if I may ask, why can you only do getups once a week?

what is your best getup at the moment?

if I may ask, why can you only do getups once a week?

@twillenberg01 That would be my question as well. What is the limiting factor to only doing the get-ups once per week?
Since strength is a skill the more practice you get (within reason) the better off you will be.

well, i myself got now little bit rough time, i needed to switch to something which is simple, and then i saw here on the site Sinister goal. So i think that doing get ups almost everyday will help, and doesn't take much time (like doing lots of presses for example). It is hard to keep goal the goal ...

What is your program on the other days?
Do you have other goals than improving the getup (that would explain the program on the other days)?

I started swings and getup S&S style on two days a week about one year ago, to complement a 3-days per week barbell program. I kept it light (16-24kg getup, 24kg swings). Just needed some conditioning (swings) and to learn to really keep my shoulders packed (I find getup very good for this for me). It worked, because they were just the 20% assistance lifts of my training, not the 80% where I focused at the time (barbell big lifts), and I did not mind not increasing the load.

Then I found myself in your situation: in October, I had to travel every week for work, and could not do getup whenever I wanted.
I transitioned to NW in the week, and did a swing+getup training session once a week on weekends for roughly two months: goblets squats 3x5x24kg, swings 10x24kg 1H, Getup 10x24kg (some sets sometimes with 16kg).
I bought a 32 kg in this period and could introduce it in swings. Progress was good in swings, not because I magically improved, but because the 24kg swings were already very light at that moment for me.
On the other hand, I was unable to increase the load in the getup. I could perform only one set at 32 here and there, no more. It taught me a few things about alignment I did not notice at 24kg, so I improved my getup technique at 24, but not the load.

Only when I could focus on S&S 5 to 6 days a week (end of December) was I able to progress on the getup and use the 32 for all sets.

Basically, my conclusion would be not to expect to find effective programming for the getup with only one session a week. Of course, it is just my personal experience. Your mileage and strength may vary.

Yeah that ^ aligns pretty well with my experience Jef. A bigger guy could probably scale that up to a 32kg bell for reps and then get stuck on the 40 kg.

I'd worked up to a 40 kg in the past, so it was in many ways re-learning a skill I'd mastered before.

The TGU is just such a technical lift where brute force and determination just won't cut it, you really have to earn your stripes with this lift. I can't see many shortcuts that will bypass volume and regular practice.

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong though, if anyone has a shortcut for me to press or TGU my new 48kg bell @ 76kg bodyweight I'm all ears.

After my first round of ROP (13 weeks) doing C&Ps with 32 kg bell I was able to do GU with 40 kg bell pretty comfortably.
Despite the fact that during those 13 weeks I did GUs altogether only three times. So for me there was a carryover from C&Ps
to GUs. No surprise here anyway as they both work same muscles. Nevertheless, whoever wants to be good at them he must
do them often, no getting around.

And the confession in the end: I am not big fan of GUs. I can't help myself but I see them more as a feat of strength so I
do them rarely.

I'm just curious about a few things @Mirek

I know the ROP program has a good carry over to many other lifts, but had you drilled the TGU much before you started the ROP with the 32 kg bell ?

It's a technical lift & I've seen many experienced Rippetoe style SS guys struggle with just a 24 kg bell through the first half of the movement before they've drilled it with lighter bells. The first time anyone tries a TGU with anything over about 20 kg (for a man) is a wake up call in my experience. Seeing some of the ladies here do it so well with bells over 24 kg is very impressive to say the least.

And also are you a big guy - over 100kg ?

The 95-100 kg mark seems to be a bit of a crossover point for some off the floor lifts like the TGU. Little guys like me really have to earn their stripes where a bigger man can handle a bigger bell for the same lift in less time.

@Tarzan

Before the ROP I did some GUs with 24 kg bell (only one I had before, and without any focused program) but mosty swings, snatches, C&Ps.
So yes, I knew the movement before. What surprised me was that I basically never did GUs with 32 kg, just loads of C&Ps with 32kg, and
afterwords 40 kg GU was there.

And yes, I am a big (read: fat) guy: 6'3" and around 260 pounds.

I do Getups every workout as part of my pre-workout. I mostly use the 24kg, doing 5 or 6 reps on each side. Once in a while I'll use the 32kg, and the 40kg on occasion.
Just the other day I did the Beast on each side without too much trouble.

I think the regular and consistent work with the Getup really makes the difference.

Folks, a warm forum welcome to @Andy Alexander, please! Andy and I go back a fair ways, and he has always been one of my favorite members of our community. He is a humble, very strong man, who I always enjoy getting to spend time with when we're in the same place.

-S-

Thanks Steve. My wife would probably say she wishes I was more humble. :) Maybe I'm just more quiet than humble.
I like the new site and plan to be around more.

I was thinking about the comment above about the Getup being more just a strength move. For me, the Getup is one of the best movements for keeping me mobile. While it may not be a high level "mobility" movement, it always keeps me feeling good getting up and down from the floor, keeps the shoulders greased, and when I don't do them I really feel the difference.

@Andy Alexander, no doubt my wife shares the same sentiment about me. :)

I think it was @B.Hetzler who said the getup provides most of the same benefits as some other "high level mobility movements." Anyone have a link to that blog?

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom