all posts post new thread

Kettlebell uneven snatch help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello, i need your helps. i'm using double 25 with press on ROTK, and i think that i'm ready to move to 32 bell ( 5 reps press with 25+32, 4 reps with 20+32). but snatching with 32 kg bell seems to hard for me.

i have double 20, double 25, one 32 ( going to have 1 more in this xmas ) and one 36 bell. i can snatch double 20 in sets of 10 and snatch double 25 in sets of 4-5. my one arm snatching skill with 32 sucks

what stragegy could i use to get my first snatch with (32+20)/ (32+25) ? build a lot of snatch with double 25 first? build a lot of snatch with 32? and how can i put that in ROTK template?

thanks for your helps and sorry for my English.

Respectfully, if we are struggling with snatching a single 32 for a plain vanilla one arm snatch, we probably have no business attempting a double incorporating that size for the time being.

While I would strongly recommend swallowing our pride and shelving RotKB until the 200 snatches in ten minutes with the 24k prereq is met (it's very achievable, and the issue you are describing may well work itself out in the process), we're all adults here. If we are determined to proceed with a modified version of the program, one way might be to clean the KBs in lieu of the double snatch during the press days, and practice single arm 32k snatches on our variety days until we've achieved some proficiency, then worry about using that size for an uneven double on another variety day--keep these sessions short and sweet, and treat the movement as a skill. This would be on a temporary basis. RotKB is an old favorite of mine, and I can say with certainty that the double snatch is a critical piece that helps make the program greater than the sum of its parts.

If a modified version of the programming is your decision, please proceed with caution. RotKB is an advanced program, and it does not sound as though you are ready for it.

Respectfully, if we are struggling with snatching a single 32 for a plain vanilla one arm snatch, we probably have no business attempting a double incorporating that size for the time being. RotKB is an advanced program, and it does not sound as though you are ready for it.
guess that i have to swallow my ego, end get back to one arm snatch with 25

Respectfully, if we are struggling with snatching a single 32 for a plain vanilla one arm snatch, we probably have no business attempting a double incorporating that size for the time being.

While I would strongly recommend swallowing our pride and shelving RotKB until the 200 snatches in ten minutes with the 24k prereq is met (it's very achievable, and the issue you are describing may well work itself out in the process), we're all adults here. If we are determined to proceed with a modified version of the program, one way might be to clean the KBs in lieu of the double snatch during the press days, and practice single arm 32k snatches on our variety days until we've achieved some proficiency, then worry about using that size for an uneven double on another variety day--keep these sessions short and sweet, and treat the movement as a skill. This would be on a temporary basis. RotKB is an old favorite of mine, and I can say with certainty that the double snatch is a critical piece that helps make the program greater than the sum of its parts.

If a modified version of the programming is your decision, please proceed with caution. RotKB is an advanced program, and it does not sound as though you are ready for it.
so, should i stop completely ROTK for awhile, get back to ROP? or doing snatch based program only to nail the snatch test?

Only the press goal (32 kg bell)
That might be part of the problem. You haven’t put the time in on the swing/snatch portion. Pavel makes it clear that you need to pass the press and snatch standard to continue. There’s no short cut there. Trust me, many including myself have tried.

I am quite new to the snatch, and have only done it for a couple of month. My impression is still that the snatch is a relatively technical lift, so it is good to master it quite well before moving to double snatch, and then to double uneven snatch.

You seem to be quite good at it since you are already able to snatch double 20 and double 25. You could try the single 32 snatch and test out how easy you master that. Then see how well you are doing single 36 snatch.

I don´t know how you are, but I used to get bored by following the same program for a long time, so I liked to switch it up. It was quite fun in terms of the variation, but quite sad in terms of the lack of progress. Now I just try to force myself to follow the same program for a long time, even though it is not always so fun. And I try to keep within my abilities in terms of technical lifts.

I hope this helps. And good luck with he program. Keep us posted about your progress.

I am quite new to the snatch, and have only done it for a couple of month. My impression is still that the snatch is a relatively technical lift, so it is good to master it quite well before moving to double snatch, and then to double uneven snatch.

You seem to be quite good at it since you are already able to snatch double 20 and double 25. You could try the single 32 snatch and test out how easy you master that. Then see how well you are doing single 36 snatch.

I don´t know how you are, but I used to get bored by following the same program for a long time, so I liked to switch it up. It was quite fun in terms of the variation, but quite sad in terms of the lack of progress. Now I just try to force myself to follow the same program for a long time, even though it is not always so fun. And I try to keep within my abilities in terms of technical lifts.

I hope this helps. And good luck with he program. Keep us posted about your progress.
the double snatch requires dropping from the rack, not from the top. now i can safely drop the weight from the top with double 20, but most of the time i still lower the weight to chest level then drop, so it's somehow easier for me to doing double snatch than single snatch. i have enough hip strength ( i think ) to snatch heavyweight, but the dropping and endurace are always my weakness...

Maybe stay at your current weight (25 + 25 I assume), or whatever weight you are technically proficient at, and focus on 1 arm snatching the 25 and 32 on your off days. If your weakness is the snatch, and your goal is to snatch, then maybe you need to snatch to improve. I don't think snatching a real light bell for high reps is going to help you double snatch heavy doubles (as much as snatching a heavier bell for lower reps (like 5)), UNLESS, you are not technically proficient with the lift.

If you want to incorporate a 32 into your double snatch, I would assume that you should be able to snatch a 40 with 1 arm. Don't hold me to these exact numbers, but I think you get my point. Your comment about how your 1 arm snatch with the 32 raises eyebrows... Don't even consider using it in a doubles program until you've mastered it in a singles.

My double snatch was also the limitation when I did ROTK. I was using 40 and 36, the presses were not difficult, but that 1st snatch needed improvement and did not feel smooth. I also started to duck under the weight (cheat) under fatigue, during the end of the workout, which I assume is not permissible. I think the goal is to power those bells up and not duck under the weight. I am working on my single snatch now. I keep hearing all these wonderful things about A&A snatches I've decided to give it a try 3 days per week!

Good luck! You have received a lot of good advice on this forum from your friends. I'm not sure there is really a right or wrong path, as long as you stay safe, focus on near-perfect technique, and slowly increase the weight over time.

Maybe stay at your current weight (25 + 25 I assume), or whatever weight you are technically proficient at, and focus on 1 arm snatching the 25 and 32 on your off days. If your weakness is the snatch, and your goal is to snatch, then maybe you need to snatch to improve. I don't think snatching a real light bell for high reps is going to help you double snatch heavy doubles (as much as snatching a heavier bell for lower reps (like 5)), UNLESS, you are not technically proficient with the lift.

If you want to incorporate a 32 into your double snatch, I would assume that you should be able to snatch a 40 with 1 arm. Don't hold me to these exact numbers, but I think you get my point. Your comment about how your 1 arm snatch with the 32 raises eyebrows... Don't even consider using it in a doubles program until you've mastered it in a singles.

My double snatch was also the limitation when I did ROTK. I was using 40 and 36, the presses were not difficult, but that 1st snatch needed improvement and did not feel smooth. I also started to duck under the weight (cheat) under fatigue, during the end of the workout, which I assume is not permissible. I think the goal is to power those bells up and not duck under the weight. I am working on my single snatch now. I keep hearing all these wonderful things about A&A snatches I've decided to give it a try 3 days per week!

Good luck! You have received a lot of good advice on this forum from your friends. I'm not sure there is really a right or wrong path, as long as you stay safe, focus on near-perfect technique, and slowly increase the weight over time.
Hello Willian. I spent 2-3 months before to focus on swing/ snatch. I did one arm snatch with 32 kg for many sets of 3, 2-6 times per week. also work on technique 25 kg snatch, because my pulling down robbed the power from me. And i also did some heavy double swing, or double high pull, with atleast one 32 kg bell. So basically, i spent quite a time with heavyweight i suppose.
Last few week, i spent time with KBB, and to be honest, i don't like that. I get back to snatching, and one day, i decide to test the 32+20. It was good. 2 days later, i tried the 32+25. still go.
But i understand your point, and i totally agree with the idea of powerful bring the bells overhead, not just ducking under it. I do not rush anything- maybe not yet.
About A+A, i don't know if i did it in last few month or not, but i spent atleast 2 months of snatching the 32 kg in sets of 2, or, 3, or 1 high pull+ 3 snatch, for 14-20 sets. And it works, in term of perfect the technique and building strength. And calluses

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom