all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Unisex Exercise Program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jaime Sanabria

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello! My girlfriend and I are trying to get back in shape, and are wondering what sort of program we could both do that would achieve the following: fat burning, as well as some strength and muscle building. A somewhat vain wish would be to see more definition in general. We have 35#, 51# and 72# kettlebells, a stationary bike, jump ropes, dumbbells up to 25#, and then a local gym if need be. I have followed S&S and Q&D in the past and love them, but my girlfriend is not as big a fan of those programs as I am. She likes swings and biking/elliptical, hates getups and running, and tolerates the rest. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

If I were you, I'd keep doing what you've been doing. You might want to look into Enter The Kettlebell.

For her, I would get her on a Tracy Reifkind swing program (as long as she can handle swings with the 35lbs KB). I would throw in a simple calisthenics pull and push-up progression for her. Convict Conditioning (or Hybrid Conditioning, which is free online) would be fantastic, especially since she would only need to tolerate it in very small amounts. Let her bicycle/elliptical as much as she wants. Tracy has a bunch of swing workouts on youtube that she can follow along with. Search for "Tracy Reifkind swing workout #1".

I would structure her workouts as 2x per week, the Convict Conditioning workout (~10 minutes) followed by the Tracy Reifkind swing workout (~15-45 minutes, depending on the level she's at),

I wouldn't complicate things at all.

Hello! My girlfriend and I are trying to get back in shape, and are wondering what sort of program we could both do that would achieve the following: fat burning, as well as some strength and muscle building. A somewhat vain wish would be to see more definition in general. We have 35#, 51# and 72# kettlebells, a stationary bike, jump ropes, dumbbells up to 25#, and then a local gym if need be. I have followed S&S and Q&D in the past and love them, but my girlfriend is not as big a fan of those programs as I am. She likes swings and biking/elliptical, hates getups and running, and tolerates the rest. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

So let her do her thing?

And you do your thing?

Does your GF like doing double bell work? Snatches?

You: Do Simple & Sinister five times per week while your girlfriend rides the bike. Cancel the gym membership and buy a 20kg bell.
She: Ride the bike, with some effort, five times per week while you do S&S. That's what she likes, and therefore might actually do.
Both: Get on a religious diet with a tolerable caloric deficit (otherwise the "fat burning" part is likely to be wishful thinking). Try that - just that - for a couple of dedicated, compliant months . . . results will happen.

My wife never wanted to train, she still doesn't and hates it when I say she does. But, she started doing glute work when I was doing some for rehab prescribed by a PT and added ring rows and hands elevated push-ups quite easily to her routine. Maybe you could look into calisthenics and see if you both enjoy it if you want something you can do together. It's easy to add weight training like swings and TGUs or cardio to calisthenics.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom