all posts post new thread

Uphill Lunges for Strong Endurance, Health, and Fat Loss

So I don't have many hills so I applied this to the stepper machine in my gym and took 2 steps at a time for 2min on @ threshold HR and 3min rest.

This got really tough. But with my Spartan races looming I can see how this will really give me that boost I need as I've been recovering from a couple of injuries and havent prepped too well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-114021.png
    Screenshot_20240216-114021.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 2
Here.
It's in russian, the protocol and reasult are exactly as Pavel quoted.
Did anybody find the original source "Toupiev 2012"?

From the study, the method of ascent is “ходьба в гору широким шагом" which Google translates as "walking uphill with long strides" and ChatGPT translates as "uphill walking with a wide step." My Google search of the Russian phrase found this video of trail runners describing the "long stride" method of ascending a hill (min8-12). All that said, I think this is more of a fast, long-striding motion, not a lunge as we think of it traditionally. However, I hope someone who speaks native Russian will verify.
Stride Video

Here.
Nice pull. Glad to have been wrong, this is pretty interesting!

A couple things stand out to me:
-"Anaerobic threshold" defined as VT2 and monitored using heart rate in training (this is clarified somewhat in the "results" section.). Worth noting considering how many different definitions of "anaerobic threshold" there are in the literature.
-"As a rule, this kind of training [that is, traditional biathlon training] takes place without monitoring whether the athlete reaches the anaerobic threshold" and this is in fact how the control group was trained.
-"in the microcycle, the total time load in the control group did not exceed 8 hours, while in the experimental group it was 6 hours." Strictly speaking, this was implied in Pavel's article if you add up the weekly volume and then multiply by 1.25, but I missed that.
-I wonder how much time they had between last training session and test? If they both tested on Monday, the experimental group had an extra day off going into the test.

From the study, the method of ascent is “ходьба в гору широким шагом" which Google translates as "walking uphill with long strides" and ChatGPT translates as "uphill walking with a wide step." My Google search of the Russian phrase found this video of trail runners describing the "long stride" method of ascending a hill (min8-12). All that said, I think this is more of a fast, long-striding motion, not a lunge as we think of it traditionally. However, I hope someone who speaks native Russian will verify.
Stride Video
Yes for for "long-striding motion" it's correct traslation.

Good luck in finding a 30° hill, unless it’s on a trail or otherwise off road. As you know it’s pretty hilly where I am Don, and the steepest grade roads around here are only 21°, and that’s rare.

But just as in hill sprints, steeper is better for sure.

Let us know how the Woodway works out…
WOODWAY heat ck. Must have been hitting the crack pipe. It happens.
15 degrees, walking not lunging, 200m, mph 2-2.5-3-3.5-4, around :60 rest btwn. FYI, 3.5 takes about 2:10.
15 deg. lunging, knee about 1-2" off the deck, 1 MPH for 200m, takes about 7:20 per set. Nice burn, was mouth breathing, hr 166, age 60.

No way I can full lunge 200m at 3.5 mph and 15+ degrees on TM or trails

Here.
Oleg contending for MVP this year!

When we are breaking this down though, I'm looking at a time domain of 2min work and 3min rest.

I followed this with the stepper machine in the gym, taking 2 steps at a time which definitely felt like a Lunge type motion.

I'll be doing it twice a week with 1 normal run instead of 3 runs for 6 weeks and see how my runs improve.

I know this is N=1 and a modified variation but my treadmill only goes to 15 incline and it didn't feel too hard to do the big steps for 200m at all but the stepper got my HR into the threshold zone.

This protocol isn't really anti glycolytic though is it, A + A is anti glycolytic because you are using alactic system and aerobic systems whereas this is squarely in anaerobic territory which is by its nature glycolytic

This protocol isn't really anti glycolytic though is it, A + A is anti glycolytic because you are using alactic system and aerobic systems whereas this is squarely in anaerobic territory which is by its nature glycolytic
I was aerobic ( walking, big step ) at 4 mph at 15 degrees for 200m and also while lunging at 1 mph 15 deg. 200m. ( most of the 7:20 mins. )
So it depends. Pretty sure once you pass AeT you back off your speed a bit.

I was aerobic ( walking, big step ) at 4 mph at 15 degrees for 200m and also while lunging at 1 mph 15 deg. 200m. ( most of the 7:20 mins. )
So it depends. Pretty sure once you pass AeT you back off your speed a bit.
Sounds like a good workout! However the article states lactic threshold not aerobic threshold. I thought the whole idea of AGT was to either be aerobic (mostly burning fat as fuel) or using the alactic system. The protocol described in the article is something cyclists, runners, any endurance athletes have been doing for decades, spend time at LT rest/active recover, rinse and repeat

Sounds like a good workout! However the article states lactic threshold not aerobic threshold. I thought the whole idea of AGT was to either be aerobic (mostly burning fat as fuel) or using the alactic system. The protocol described in the article is something cyclists, runners, any endurance athletes have been doing for decades, spend time at LT rest/active recover, rinse and repeat
OK, LT, I'll push it next time.

Ha ! No what I meant was your workout seemed great but Pavel has been very insistent on avoiding 'burn' and glycolytic workouts yet what was explained in the article seemed precisely that; a lactic interval session.
No worries, I read you right.
Been a while since I studied this stuff, some terms can be interchanged. And I'm not worried about lunging uphill at 3.5 mph, since it seems that a long stride will suffice. The anecdote to confusion ( mine ) would be to purchase the program. ;)

To the casual observer, trying to equate typical training, the control group, to the experimental group's training because they see "lactic threshold" and think they are the same is a common mistake.

The control group is doing general cardio vascular training, type I fiber training, smokers, getting the training effect of pushing the lactic threshold directly for general adaptation.

The experimental group is training for specific physiological adaptations in the target muscles, which causes adaptation in the cardiovascular system, targeted adaptation.

The former is incidental adaptation and improvement, the later is intentional adaptation and improvement.

To the casual observer, trying to equate typical training, the control group, to the experimental group's training because they see "lactic threshold" and think they are the same is a common mistake.

The control group is doing general cardio vascular training, type I fiber training, smokers, getting the training effect of pushing the lactic threshold directly for general adaptation.

The experimental group is training for specific physiological adaptations in the target muscles, which causes adaptation in the cardiovascular system, targeted adaptation.

The former is incidental adaptation and improvement, the later is intentional adaptation and improvement.
I feel like it needs to be more clear in the article if it is intended to be aerobic threshold or anaerobic threshold...

I feel like it needs to be more clear in the article if it is intended to be aerobic threshold or anaerobic threshold...
Not sure that would help much at this rate, unless you'd care to elaborate on why this is an important distinction? Since anaerobic threshold is often defined as the lactate threshold...

Back
Top Bottom