all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Vacation programing - HSPU or weighted pushups

lais817

Level 7 Valued Member
G'day all, over Xmas I will be away from weights for approx 2 weeks, but would like to keep training. For pressing I have settle on either of 2 options, Handstand pushups and weighted pushups, HSPU my 1 RM is BW, weighted pushups my 1 RM is 1x 6yo son (33kg) , so both are readily available throughout the vacation.

My current long term goal is a 1/2 BW press, and I was going to use the Chinese food for pressing gains program Chinese Food for Rapid Pressing Gains | StrongFirst because the loading and the duration fits my needs.

My question is which is likely to have the most carry over to KB MP? I don't do either movement in my training generally, I'm currently running Giant 1.0

Your 2c is appreciated

Hello,

If you go for weighted push ups, there's also an even simpler solution. You can see how much weight you'd need with a weithed push up. Then, finding the bodyweight version which makes you do the same amount of reps. That way you do not even have to bother with weight during the trip.

For instance if a 20kg backpack makes you do 5 reps, then maybe OAP also makes you do 5 reps.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

If you go for weighted push ups, there's also an even simpler solution. You can see how much weight you'd need with a weithed push up. Then, finding the bodyweight version which makes you do the same amount of reps. That way you do not even have to bother with weight during the trip.

For instance if a 20kg backpack makes you do 5 reps, then maybe OAP also makes you do 5 reps.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I'm taking the weight with me - my 6yo son!

I think even though I'm excited by and want to get better at the HSPU, after playing with it for the last few days my form isn't up to scratch yet, and I don't particularly want to engrain bad habits.

I will go with the weighted pushups with a kid on my back - simple, and I always have a willing training partner pushing me to do more and more reps!

Depending on what your schedule is, the fighter pull-up program done with pike push-ups is an option. I used that in the past for good gains.

I'm taking the weight with me - my 6yo son!

I think even though I'm excited by and want to get better at the HSPU, after playing with it for the last few days my form isn't up to scratch yet, and I don't particularly want to engrain bad habits.

I will go with the weighted pushups with a kid on my back - simple, and I always have a willing training partner pushing me to do more and more reps!
GTG with HSPU.

They don't have to be perfect they just have to be done, its not olympic diving or rythmic gymnastic.
The important part is that you do them, not how they look.
Do them ugly first and you will be able to do them pretty later on.

Do singles throughout the day.
Wave the load from day to day.

GTG with HSPU.

They don't have to be perfect they just have to be done, its not olympic diving or rythmic gymnastic.
The important part is that you do them, not how they look.
Do them ugly first and you will be able to do them pretty later on.

Do singles throughout the day.
Wave the load from day to day.
This is how I built them. I tried for too long to execute them with “perfect form.” Only when I gave that up and just focused on bending my arms and pushing through the floor did they make progress. And they felt better.

Time for an update, yesterday was sets of 4, of which I knocked out 6 sets during the day. Could have pushed to 10, but I was happy to have gotten to sets of 4 in an unbroken run from sets of 1, and had a busy day with gardening work.

The program most definitely works, and has been a great little project to pursue while away from my bells.

I have noticed some soreness / slight irritation of my triceps at the elbow, which is my fault for jumping into a movement with no prep for my connective tissues etc; I imagine this wouldn't happen if I had used the program for KB presses instead, or had prepped with pike pushups or similar.

Might do an RM test this afternoon if I'm feeling it, I'm confident of at least 5. I'm keen to see how it translates to my KB press on wednesday when I get home.

Big thanks to Daniel Hanscom and Strongfirst for publishing his article, planning on doing it with the 24kg bell in the coming weeks.

~edit~ got 6 reps this arvo

Last edited:
Did an RM test with the 24kg bell today.

Before:
LHS 1-2
RHS 2-3

After:
LHS 4
RHS 6

More carryover from the HSPU than I was dreaming of, so very, VERY happy with my results.

I'm not sure whether to finish the 2 weeks left of my run of Giant 1.0 @20kg, or a week of 1,2 ladders @24kg and then I to ROP with the 24kg.

I'm worried I'll lose my new found strength if I don't dive right into using the 24kg TBH.

Thoughts?

-edit-
After thinking on it I'll finish the Giant, I didn't do an RM test with the 24 before I started the HSPU, so I can't 100% say they were solely to thank for the improvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom