all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vitamin supplements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I take a multi, magnesium and vitamin d. All from NOW foods.

I only buy things from reputable companies.

I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil capsules, and potassium. As I've gotten older and eaten less, I found I was getting muscle cramps, and the potassium helps w/ that. I take 300 mg AM and again PM.

-S-

Morning-Fish oil, 5000 iu D3, multivitamin, CoQ10, B Complex, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Glucosamine, Boswellia

Evening, 5000 iu D3, Fish Oil, Cinnamon, Turmeric, C, Zinc, Magnesium, Glucosamine, Boswellia

I work inside so the D3 is for general health.
The Glucosamine and Boswellia and fish oil are for joint health.

I occasionally take a few other supplements, but the above is the persistent basis

Fish Oil, Magnesium, Vit D during most of the year excepts summer, iodine, selenium (via brazil nuts). I could do more, but I think those are the critical ones. For the fish oil I aim for about a gram of DHA, since that's the more important PUFA. I think The Perfect Health Diet is probably the best book I've read about vitamin/minteral supplementation, they methodically research and make a recommendation for each one.

Vitamin D, in the form of D3. If the sun comes out soon I'll stick to getting some rays and go back on it....so probably in a couple of weeks! Scottish summers tend to be very short! Cod liver oil in winter too, don't really know why to be honest, a throwback to my childhood maybe? I've read that there is a difference between it and fish oil but can't remember if it is and why it is considered better or worse than omega 3. One of the things to consider apparently is.....does the stuff stink of fish? If it does then good, if not then maybe not and cod liver oil stinks. Occassional bath in a pile of epsom salts.....ie magnesium rich....if I'm feeling crap. That's it........I have a good diet and feel no need for anything else apart from wine now and then, if that counts. Vitamin d will stop soon and then on zilch but food.

I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil capsules, and potassium. As I've gotten older and eaten less, I found I was getting muscle cramps, and the potassium helps w/ that. I take 300 mg AM and again PM.

-S-

Steve, just curious, how did you know the cramps were not from a calcium or magnesium deficiency? Did you get a blood test?

I take 500 mg C, 400 mg Mag, 50 mg Zinc (make sure it's not Zinc Gluconate), 1000 mg Krill Oil (I'm going to change brands, mine only contains 64 mg EPA and 30 mg DHA which is way to low, 94 mg out of 1000 of the stuff you want), 10000 units D3 make sure the first ingredient isn't soybean oil. I also began taking 400 mg CoQ-10 for recovery (make sure this is in the form of Ubiquinol).

I used to take very little, a multivitamin and fish oil. I began this dog's breakfast as an experiment and when I figure in what's in the protein I take, the above was what I found to be insufficient from a blood test. Remember, the RDA's are pretty much minimums and for many vitamins you'll perform better on much higher doses. I believe this to be very true of D3.

Fish oil and Vitamin D are staples. Occasionally I take magnesium or ZMA. They occasionally help with cramps. I've been intrigued by Krill oil so I may change the fish oil for that. Vitamin D is a necessary supplement since I don't spend enough time outdoors, and I happen to live rather close to the arctic circle.

Steve, just curious, how did you know the cramps were not from a calcium or magnesium deficiency? Did you get a blood test?
I tried a few things at the time, and nothing worked, then potassium did - the muscle cramps stopped. So I figured that was good enough.

I never considered a calcium deficiency because I've got rock-hard nails.

If I take magnesium, I need move my office to the bathroom ...

-S-

Yeah I was shocked to learn that a lot of supplements are the wrong kind of the mineral/vitamin.
Too often manufacturers put in stuff that is poorly absorbed (but cheaper to produce of course) instead of the real deal.

@Mike E, I followed the link you gave - the business about taking potassium with iodine was interesting. Can anyone comment on this further? My wife and I use sea salt in our house, so we don't get much iodine in our diets, I am guessing, but obviously don't know for sure.

-S-

I take supplements with food. I try not to take a lot of stuff, but I use what is proven and works for me.

-probiotic
-Omega-3, coconut oil(62%MCT)
-multi vitamin, D3, B12, ZMA
-creatine, beta alanine
-whey protein
-gelatine

Hi Steve;

We also use very little iodized table salt in our home. To get iodine, I add 5 or 6 grams of kelp to my broth once per week or so. Seafood and egg yolks from pastured chickens are also good sources of iodine.

@Steve Freides : Iodine and selenium Archives - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Paul cites several studies linking low iodine and selenium to thyroid issues. I take Potassium plus Iodine daily. Selenium weekly. Not very expensive. I have felt much better since switching to Paul Jaminet's recommendations (from LCHF), more energy, less heart irregularities (I've had three ablation procedures for atrial fibrillation). I've gotten my airdyne 10 minute practice over 9 cal/min: weak, but a lot better than 6-7 cal/min. I snatched the 12Kg 50 times in 2 minutes a couple of days ago. Also weak considering if I ever get fit enough to attempt the SFG1 I'll need to do that with a 20 Kg (I'm close to 68). I've felt so optimistic since switching my diet I decided to go ahead and get my knee fixed. Four weeks today since arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus. PT is going well. Expect me to be bugging you again for training advice sometime in the next few months :).

@MikeE, how much of the Potassium plus Iodine do you take daily, and how much at a time?

And never say never when it comes to your SFG-I - there was a blog recently about someone older than you making the Level II, if memory serves, and I'll be pulling somewhere north of 300 lbs. as a 148 lb, 61-year-old lifter in a few weeks at a meet.

-S-

@Steve Freides , one a day at lunch. My lunch supplements include 300 mg magnesium, potassium iodine, 1g 'C', Move Free (glucosamine-chondritin), 2000 iu D3, K2, pantothenic acid, occasional selenium.

Yes, I read the blog entry by John Sullivan. Very motivating. I hope to achieve SFG level 1 by 70, John proves it's a reasonable goal having made level 2. Certainly not easy. You are also a great inspiration Steve, though still a young man! I'll see if I can get to 148. I'm about ten pounds heavier now but it's just fat on my belly which I can certainly do without. My fit weight was 142 about 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Someone please be kind enough to post a link to that blog, and thanks in advance.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom