all posts post new thread

Walking lunges

Yes, part of my mobility work after goblet squats. Usually 5/5x5. They are great if you do BJJ as they help me drive through take downs.

It depends…what would walking lunges serve your training that others exercises cannot?

I’ve found unilateral work to be helpful for me with my long legs, especially in regards to stabilizing the hips. There seems to be a high transfer to my deadlift leg drive for some reason.

However, walking lunges force me into all sorts of strange contortions and make the pattern highly unrepeatable and ineffective.

For overall leg strength, squat variations serve more than enough. However certain lunges seem to be effective for other means.

Renegade lunges - joint mobility, stability

Rear Foot elevated split squat - “symmetry balancing”

I like the split squat, or other stationary lunges, because they’re more stable and while balancing asymmetries is important yet also impossible, they do give you a good gage on how your right/left sides stack against one another.

Lunges and single leg work can also be implemented to add more work for the legs while giving the torso and spine a break yet still have a nice core component of keeping you balanced. They’re also better for repetition work than heavy barbell compound movements.

Walking lunges, however, I’ve never liked, especially in a crowded gym. They’re quite distracting and look goofy navigating around gym goers, machines, etc. I prefer doing them without weights, if at all, if I’m training outside.

Hello,

I find them pretty useful, but as mentioned above, it depends on the goal. For trail running / rucking, they are an excellent tool, especially if mixed with other moves such as squats, and if used in conjunction with other modalities, such as plyometrics. They work great for uphill running, uneven terrain rucking / running in general. They also work great for some combat sport.

MTI's Leg Blaster is great in that regard:

Kind regards,

Pet'

The reason for mentioning this excersice is that Im after exercises that can give useful endurance, some strength, maybe some hypertrophy without too much acid and tiredness.

I have step-ups, stationary bike and swings in my tool box, but I also wondered if lunges could be useful. Today I tried doing backward lunges with a red iron woody band. Five reps right, then five reps left. Then just continuing until slightly tired. Then taking a break and starting all over again. I just wonder if backward lunges is thoroughly knee-friendly.

Any thoughts on this ? Have anyone tried doing them with a lot of volume ?

The reason for mentioning this excersice is that Im after exercises that can give useful endurance, some strength, maybe some hypertrophy without too much acid and tiredness.

I have step-ups, stationary bike and swings in my tool box, but I also wondered if lunges could be useful. Today I tried doing backward lunges with a red iron woody band. Five reps right, then five reps left. Then just continuing until slightly tired. Then taking a break and starting all over again. I just wonder if backward lunges is thoroughly knee-friendly.

Any thoughts on this ? Have anyone tried doing them with a lot of volume ?
I think a lot of things can be used successfully as long as its intentional. I think whether or not something is knee friendly is very individual; personally, any kind of lunges are kind to my body. I can do a lot more volume with lunges than other lower body movements and feel pretty good.

Walking lunges the way I did them today don't necessarily fit into standard StrongFirst programming but they are helping me towards my goals. I am looking to do a fair amount of volume to keep me well rounded but also to compliment my indoor rowing pursuits. 1-2x a week of AXE or A&A style programming, 1-2x a week of more grind type lifts for a bit of volume (today's example below), and the rest rowing.

Today, I did a 1 hour weight vest session. Every 3:00, I did the following wearing a 10kg vest -

- 5 pull ups
- 10 feet-elevated push ups
- 10 walking lunges (per leg)

Over the course of the hour, I got in 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, and 200 walking lunges (per leg). It didn't beat me up, it was not easy but didn't bury me either, and will help when it comes to pushing hard on the erg.

What makes that "tactical"?
Jeff Martone of Tactical Athlete named them according to the special report that came with ETK (2006):
Screenshot_20231123_192645_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20231123_192811_DuckDuckGo.jpg

He also referred to regular getups as tactical TGUs because he said that it mimics the tactical way of getting back to your feet if you were knocked down during a fight.

By the time he released his own book five years later (2011), he had renamed them figure 8 lunges.

Perhaps others had pointed out that passing the Kettlebell between the legs doesn't make a reverse lunge any more useful tactically.

Back
Top Bottom