all posts post new thread

Warmups for strength ladders

barna284

Level 2 Valued Member
I train mainly with bodyweight and loaded bodyweight movements. Last months I've been progressing using 8-10 RM loads, but I'm planning to go down up to 5-6 RM for some ladder work (starting at 1-2-3 ladders and progressing from there). My idea is to do something along the lines of "Strength Aerobics" (20-40 minute sessions, push-pull-squat) but with a 5-6 RM load as per Iron Cardio rather than the 10RM suggested in the original SA article.

For those of you doing ladders with 5-6RM loads, do you usually take some warmup sets before hand? BW training usually means low or no loading of the spine, which is a plus, but I still don't wanna go into this too cold, specially since I train early in the morning.

My idea was doing 2 push-pull.squat rounds of easier exercises. As an example, for my 5-6 RM push, a deep, paralette, feet-elevated pike pushup, I would do 10 pushups in the first round and 5 floor pike pushups in the second round before going into the main work. This could take perhaps 5 minute if I don´t dally around.

I don't do calisthenics, but when I have done strength ladders the beginning rungs ARE my warmup. Using a 5RM, the ladders of 1-2 are just me easing into it so by the time I get to higher rungs I'm warmed up enough. Some people need mopre warmup than others, but for strength work I tend to be on the side of less warmup.

Sounds fine. Maybe consider doing some sets of swings for a warm up. Get tour swings out of the way and go into the iron cardio.

I train mainly with bodyweight and loaded bodyweight movements. Last months I've been progressing using 8-10 RM loads, but I'm planning to go down up to 5-6 RM for some ladder work (starting at 1-2-3 ladders and progressing from there). My idea is to do something along the lines of "Strength Aerobics" (20-40 minute sessions, push-pull-squat) but with a 5-6 RM load as per Iron Cardio rather than the 10RM suggested in the original SA article.

For those of you doing ladders with 5-6RM loads, do you usually take some warmup sets before hand? BW training usually means low or no loading of the spine, which is a plus, but I still don't wanna go into this too cold, specially since I train early in the morning.

My idea was doing 2 push-pull.squat rounds of easier exercises. As an example, for my 5-6 RM push, a deep, paralette, feet-elevated pike pushup, I would do 10 pushups in the first round and 5 floor pike pushups in the second round before going into the main work. This could take perhaps 5 minute if I don´t dally around.
Brett Jones has a great warm up in Iron Cardio

Back
Top Bottom