all posts post new thread

Nutrition Warrior Diet Newbie

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris T

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi y'all,

My name is Chrissy...I am 5' 4" and, gulp, weigh 190 lbs. I never in my life thought I would be near 200 lbs. I was a thin kid and teen. About ten years ago, I would fluctuate between 140 to 155. In 2012 I had my first baby. I weighed 145 at the time of his birth. I gained only 27 lbs. I lost that weight, plus some, with the help of phentermine. I then had to get off of it due to health problems. I take a lot of medication. I have just ballooned. I take responsibility.

I decided to take the warrior approach. I need advice. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

@Chris T

Welcome on SF !

What do you want to know ?

There is a good thread called "I started IF" in the Diet and Nutrition. I am sure you will find good information there. I started IF

Basically, there are different kind of "intermittent fasting" (Warrior Diet). One of the most comfortable IF you may find is the 16/8 frame. By comfortable, I mean the easiest to maintain, the more "sustainable" in the long term. It means that you eat a big meal within the 8 hours, and you fast during the remaining hours of the day. Lots of people use to eat once a day, however, you can split this meal in 2 smaller ones, at the beginning.

During this meal, you can eat more or less what you want to. That is all. Some people eat just before going to spleep. Some people eat in the morning. It only depends on you and what you prefer. There is no constraint on it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi y'all,

My name is Chrissy...I am 5' 4" and, gulp, weigh 190 lbs. I never in my life thought I would be near 200 lbs. I was a thin kid and teen. About ten years ago, I would fluctuate between 140 to 155. In 2012 I had my first baby. I weighed 145 at the time of his birth. I gained only 27 lbs. I lost that weight, plus some, with the help of phentermine. I then had to get off of it due to health problems. I take a lot of medication. I have just ballooned. I take responsibility.

I decided to take the warrior approach. I need advice. Thanks for reading.
Welcome...
I appreciate your candor. You say you take a lot of meds. That implies that you are facing some health issues. (No details required) I would consider what effects any type of 'dieting' (or training for that matter) would have on your health issues and med intake prior to embarking on anything. It can be difficult to get solid medical advice on stuff like this, but I might at least start there if you haven't already done so.
But you should be applauded for taking the steps to make a change...

Thanks for your reply...

I have congestive heart failure and some mental issues I take lexapro, buspar, lamictal, lostartan, metoprolol and gemfibrizol. My cardiologist said I need to lose the weight and take the working out slow. I'm taking it slow. Thanks again!

Hello,

@Chris T
First, congrats for expressing that on a forum. I guess it is not an easy task !

My cardiologist said I need to lose the weight
Due to the different meds you are taking, did he talk you about a specific diet ? Is there some "must do" or "must not do" ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

OK. Thanks for your imput. So if I eat at 6:30 pm,my big meal, when do I eat the next one?

My Dr didn't specify the diet. Just to lose the weight...

@Chris T, if you're interested in the WD, buy the book and read it, please - it's a good, and entertaining read, IMHO.

16/8 just means fast or under-eat for 16 hours then eat during an 8-hour window.

IMHO, rather than do the WD, consider cleaning up your food act first. Start with eating only wild caught fish and grass-fed beef. For pork, go for organic. Go for organic everything else, eat lots of veggies, cut out the bread and generally minimize carbs without eliminating them. Cut out dessert entirely except for 1 day each week. Drink a lot of water. Cut out all soda, diet and otherwise, and cut out fruit juice, too, except if fresh-squeezed.

I'll bet you lose weight just from doing that without changing your schedule, and I'll bet your appetite will change.

-S-

Hello,

@Chris T
What @Steve Freides is describing is almost a paleo diet. It will be paleo if you cut of dairy too (even if you can eat a little goat cheese).

Contrary to WD, paleo allows you to eat on normal hours. You simply cut of certain things.

Both diets work, and work even better if you combine them with a little physical activities.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Chris T, walking is an activity almost everyone can do. Please check with your doctor if it's OK for you and, if it is, begin walking. Start easily, never, never, never push your pace, just enjoy being outside. Walk around the block, 5 minutes or so.

-S-

Thanks y'all , I really like the WD concept. I basically did if before without knowing I was doing it. Well, without trying or making the plan to do so, I lost a good 40 lbs. Then life happened. New relationships, being comfortable...other things mentioned and the weight came back and then some.

I enjoy cooking more than anything. It is my passion. Many days I wake up wondering what I can cook. I don't work outside the home any longer. (Much of my work is done at home) Of course, this means I'll have some of what I eat. It's easy to be honest on here. So I'll say, I think I've become pretty consumed with eating. So, this approach allows me to tell myself that I will have a snack later than 12:30 PM...less than 200 calories and a meal at 6:30 PM then a snack of what I want within reason. This takes away the thinking of food and gives me structure. So far, I like this structure.
This summer, I started walking 52 minutes a day and gained 10 pounds. I stopped. I was not overeating. I put it all in my Fitbit logs. I drink water, Diet Coke and tea sweetened with Splenda. But after that weight gain, I kinda threw in the towel.

So, I get back up and will try again.

Thanks y'all... CT

Hello,

This summer, I started walking 52 minutes a day and gained 10 pounds
For iso-volume, muscle is heavier than fat.

So if you have no constraints on it, and if you know WD is working for you, then go for it.
So, this approach allows me to tell myself that I will have a snack later than 12:30 PM...less than 200 calories and a meal at 6:30 PM then a snack of what I want within reason.
If you mostly work at home, it can also be easier. Indeed, it will allow you to enjoy your main meal with your family.

Do not tell yourself (easier said than done) "I have to lose weight". Tell yourself "I have to feel good".

Psychological aspect is crucial.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks Pet,

I thought about the muscle concept, I convinced myself, though, that there was no way I could gain 10 pounds of muscle in 2 months.

Hello,

@Chris T
there was no way I could gain 10 pounds of muscle in 2 months
Yes, it seems a lot indeed.

Then you could (just an idea ;), I am not a Dr):
=> WD
=> swimming : it remains both efficient for weight loss / weight management (I swim myself a lot). Besides, it is not taxing for joints.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Do not tell yourself (easier said than done) "I have to lose weight". Tell yourself "I have to feel good".

Psychological aspect is crucial.

Very true, here. If you tie your mental measure of "success" to meeting your training goals, moving better, and feeling better -- and not just the number on the scale -- it makes the whole effort a much more positive endeavor.

Hard to say why the weight gain when you were walking this summer. I agree, 10 lb of muscle is unlikely; 3-5 lb entirely possible though. Maybe stress-related? High stress and poor quality sleep can make one tend to gain weight even if exercising and eating right.

Great to have you here, by the way, and hope we can help you towards your goals!

Thanks! I weighed this morning.... down 1.9 since .......Wednesday...is this really possible?? I do not have access to a pool and do not drive, ATM. I am thinking of getting a kettle ball...any suggestions??

Thanks y'all!

CT

Kettlebell! Absolutely! 12kg and 16kg.

@Chris T, no diet soda, no artificial anything. If you're looking to lose weight, it's a good place to start, and it works fine on the WD schedule as well.

I don't consider how I eat paleo, just trying not to eat crap.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom