all posts post new thread

Kettlebell weight selection for You Don't Know Squat in Kettlebell Express! Ultra Reloaded

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Erik W

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

The book instructs to "Use a 10RM for your weakest exercise in the combo". The combos don't have all the same lifts every day.

Does that instruction mean to use the 10RM for the weakest exercise for the week and use that weight for the whole program? Or, does it mean to use the weakest 10RM for a given day and, most likely, have different weights for each day of the week?

Thanks!

My advice from someone who's done some of Geoff's complexes, use the weakest exercise for the week's 10 RM....which also means a weight that you can get 10 reps in good form with.....meaning that subsequent reps may be done but with deterioration in proper form......you'll appreciate it down the line!

Thanks! That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Outstanding. At first, I thought that it might have meant to select each day's weight on only the lifts in that day's complexes. Now, I understand that the whole program should be done with one pair of KBs. Thanks for clarifying!

Outstanding. At first, I thought that it might have meant to select each day's weight on only the lifts in that day's complexes. Now, I understand that the whole program should be done with one pair of KBs. Thanks for clarifying!
Out of curiosity, what did you start out with? This will be my first doubles program and it’s looking like the double 16’s for my snatch. Form on even the double 20’s felt compromised. Any other input on the program would be cool to hear as well.

I recently tried double rack squats for the first time in The Giant format. Double 20’s. I haven’t back squatted since pre Covid but 40kg was barely warm up weight at all so I thought I’d be fine. Maybe 3 sets of 5 sure, but not for lots of reps on a 20 minute timer. Had to eat humble pie and drop to double 16’s. I completely underestimated the difficulty of it and overestimated my current ability

I recently tried double rack squats for the first time in The Giant format. Double 20’s. I haven’t back squatted since pre Covid but 40kg was barely warm up weight at all so I thought I’d be fine. Maybe 3 sets of 5 sure, but not for lots of reps on a 20 minute timer. Had to eat humble pie and drop to double 16’s. I completely underestimated the difficulty of it and overestimated my current ability
I don’t doubt it. I’m just getting into doubles and have been playing with them as my warm up for a couple of weeks. The double 24 front squat was very humbling.

Out of curiosity, what did you start out with? This will be my first doubles program and it’s looking like the double 16’s for my snatch. Form on even the double 20’s felt compromised. Any other input on the program would be cool to hear as well.
To be honest, I had been pushing myself pretty hard at that point. So, I ended up moving in a different direction, for the time being.

Having put many students through this plan and periodically visiting it myself, for YDKS1.0 I often use the double snatch as the measuring point.. use a pair of bells your can confidently snatch for 8-10 reps..

If the weight feels light you can always pause at the bottom of your squat and pause in the rack between reps for the press..

I'll second the observation that all Geoff's complexes should be based on "lighter than you might think".. Doing them with good form and explosiveness is really really humbling. Just keep at it, the weight will come.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom