all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What exercises do you NOT enjoy?

My current dog walk listen, just out:

Covers a lot of things, perfectly or somewhat perfectly.....the notes:

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” —anonymous
“Perfection is man’s ultimate illusion. It simply doesn’t exist in the universe. If you are a perfectionist, you are guarantee to be a loser in whatever you do.” —David Burns
Today, burnout and depression are at record levels, driven by a combination of intense workplace competition, oppressively ubiquitous social media encouraging comparisons with others, the quest for elite credentials, and helicopter parenting. Society continually broadcasts the need to want more, and to be perfect.
Shermer and Curran discuss: • Curran’s own perfectionism and how that led him to research perfection • What is perfection? Is he measuring perfection or something else? • The Big Five Personality Scale (OCEAN) and where perfection falls in it • goals, meritocracy, high standards, and conscientiousness • self-oriented vs. other-oriented vs. socially prescribed perfectionism • Steve Jobs, Michael Jordan, Lance Armstrong • origins of perfectionism • consequences of perfectionism • social media • income inequality, UBI, GDP, economics • helicopter parenting and coddling • generational differences in perfectionism.
Thomas Curran is a professor of psychology at the London School of Economics and author of a landmark study that the BBC hailed as “the first to compare perfectionism across generations.” His TED talk on perfectionism has received more than three million views. His research has been featured in media ranging from the Harvard Business Review to New Scientist to CNN and he has appeared on numerous television and radio programs. He is the author of The Perfection Trap: Embracing the Power of Good Enough.

Thrusters. They’re the worst, just soul suckers. Heavy for strength, or lighter for cardio still equal for sucking.

As a followup to @Brett Jones response:

1. I was doing OASW for a year, and mostly battling my right shoulder overuse.
However - after a back tweak about a month ago, even a light OASW will aggravate my back. I have dropped them, and I have switched to IC protocol, as it allows me to train.
2. TGU for me - roll to the elbow is a killer. It will either make my right AC hurt, or I will fail it on the left side due to the previous shoulder injury. I can do them if I use my lats more and keep my elbow closer - but my form will deviate from the SF standard.

That all being said, an exercise should allow training progress. If some exercises should be tweaked or dropped - so be it.
All of the above "is, like, my opinion, man".

I've posted here before about how 1-handed swings really aggravate my R forearm and shoulder. Unfortunate because it hinder my S + S progression, and despite some really great suggestions from this forum I wasn't able to continue.

My posture is very anteriorly rotated, and my torso is very long compared to the rest of my body. Thus, back squats get really uncomfortable so I swap for barbell or KB front squats.

But I remind myself that everyone is built differently, and there are a plethora of different exercises that can elicit strength benefits.

I have always had a bit of a trouble with squats, since I never really feel sure that I perform it correctly.
It is especially uncomfortable during my periods, since I feel a lot more sensitive during those times, and this really makes all exercises a lot more tricky, and that is a real nuisance.

Thrusters. They’re the worst, just soul suckers. Heavy for strength, or lighter for cardio still equal for sucking.
I used to hate them.... until I added a three breaths pause between the front squat and pressing movement (usually, a push press with a slow negative). Now I love them.

I don't like squats. I get lots of leg activity so they are kind of easy and seem like I am wasting time.
Curls - same.
Rows - same.

I've had the exact opposite relationship with squats.

Out of curiosity, what protocols have you used squats with?
The protocol of yuck. :) Hehehe.

You have to forgive me because judo and fencing are basically continuous half to three quarter squats and squatting movements. All bodyweight of course, but at least in judo it is my bodyweight and my partner's bodyweight added together a lot of the time, hehe. There is also a lot of getting up off the ground in judo, which is a kind of squat-like movement mainly on one leg actually.

But, I have done the different kind of kettlebell squats and even mace squats for training: goblet, rack, double rack... I worked on the one legged squat from Naked Warrior for a while too and I eventually was able to pull one off.

Squats are definitely a super accessible and highly effective thing to do. They use a lot of muscles, are definitely real-world applicable, and can be done with almost anything to add some kind of weight or balance challenge.

Low bar squats and chin ups. I hate them so much. Those two movements messed up my elbows. Doesn’t seem to matter how much rehab I do, I can’t get them healed. But I’m a powerlifter. And I can move 10 to 20 pounds more with low bar than I can with high bar. So 9 months out of the year is high bar. 3 months are low bar, and those months are centered around when I have a competition.

Can’t barbell curl anymore. Even with an EZ bar. It irritates my elbows. Even dumbbell curls irritate them. Hammer curl are OK. And cable curls with a regular supinated grip are OK for some reason. Kettlebell cleans used to be a no go as well until I found Geoff Neupert’s video on the inverted V grip.

Stupid elbows…

Double KB FSQ. They are the worst. I just can't seem to hold the bells. They want to fall forward all the time. I am at the end of a linear progression with Push-Press and Double KB FSQ at the moment, using 2x30kg. I'm not scared about the PushPresses, but I really want to avoid the FSQs somehow. Even typing this gives me anxiety. However, I have to do them because I know they are beneficial.

My most hated exercise is the Deadlift. And not the exercise itself, but the preparation for it. Thinking about having to bend over and load the weights on the barbell set after set and then unload and stack them makes me sick :-) The exercise I hate the most because of the execution itself is the Squat.
But let's talk about the exercises that I do with the greatest pleasure. These are barbell Rows and straight bar triceps Pushdowns. But I'm avoiding barbell Rows now for health reasons.

Back
Top Bottom