all posts post new thread

Off-Topic What made you settle down where you did?

How are you from Wisconsin and able to handle New Mexico green chili?!? I thought people that far north think ketchup is too spicy.
I was fortunate to have an uncle who couldn’t smell. He always brought the spicy foods to every get together. (Only food he could taste)

So been eating spicy peppers since I was a kid.

But yeah… actual quote from my mother, “this oatmeal is spicy”.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to check out California just because of the weather and the scenery but with the homeless crisis/violence, I'm not so sure if it's a good idea anymore......
I have been here my whole life. Don’t let that throw you off, though pay attention to the neighborhood if you’re buying….

Much of the state has beautiful scenery and weather. TBH, much has neither….., though it is all relative, I guess.

Born and early life in NC, mostly grew up in Baltimore, MD with a few years interspersed swapping custodial parents in Ithaca, NY, one year in PA then joined the Air Force which sent me to FL and Korea before landing here in Mississippi on the Gulf Coast. Didn't know I'd still be here 30 years later, but it's home now, and I've worked for the Air Force in 3 different capacities for 35 years, mostly here. Low cost of living, mild temps, lots going for it. I work IT from home since 2020 so now I could live anywhere. Husband retires for good this week so options are open. But we like it here. I do wish I lived somewhere with more trails, but I can travel, and fortunate to have family all over the country.

I settled in CO, not far from where I grew up. It is a place I love being.

I did have some opportunity to be elsewhere. I was fortunate to be a college athlete, which gave me a bunch of chances to see other parts of the country. I have family spread from the west coast to the east coast, and have visited most of them. I spent two years in Japan after graduating college because I wasn't ready to get a real job yet.

After all that... settling down close enough for my mom to really be a part of my kids' lives felt nothing but right.

Well, uh, I get pandhandled constantly on the sidewalk and drugs are prolific lol. But the violence, the violence is overblown. And you do get used to it.

How are you from Wisconsin and able to handle New Mexico green chili?!? I thought people that far north think ketchup is too spicy.
I grew up in a Mexican household. My wife thinks everything I eat is too spicy. I eat jalepenos with almost every meal cause that’s what I grew up my grandad doing. He ate every meal with a fresh jalepeno on the side. My uncle went to restaurants with my aunt carrying a mason jar full of homemade salsa in her purse. Haha

I went from my parents house - apartment - current house. all within a 15 minute radius drive of each other.
Besides a severe longing to live at least a portion of my year in New Zealand at some point in my life, I would be happy to die in my house (in about 50 years though!)
I’d love to live on the South Island. Queenstown in particular. I’m not into extreme sports or skiing , it’s just beautiful.

Born in Turkey went to elementary school in a very small city then lived in three big cities in Turkey ( which is a rare in general) I moved to California at age 40, lived in Silicon Valley for 10 years, and then got divorced and lost my executive level job and moved back to Turkey with my kids still in US.

Life thought me that, where you live is not important in terms of happiness.

Life comes w surprises sometimes good sometimes not so good regardless of your location.

If someone wants to try to move and live in a different place, I support it, it teaches you many new things however if one is seeking happiness in an other geographic place, happiness is in you not hidden in a place.

If someone wants to try to move and live in a different place, I support it, it teaches you many new things however if one is seeking happiness in an other geographic place, happiness is in you not hidden in a place.
I agree with this. I've heard it said that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, it's greenest wherever you water it.

Started life in northern Wisconsin/ Minnesota. Lived there for almost 30 years.
Moved to Austin Texas for a couple years to take advantage of the budding entrepreneur scene there.

After a few years of that we got sick of the whole Texas vibe and moved to New Mexico for better access to the outdoors. As a pleasant side effect we got better weather and family that moved out there as well. Plus green chili.

If I want snow it’s a 20-60 minute drive.

I’m only at 12 mailing addresses.

Same in Albuquerque. News makes it seem like a cartel warzone. Been shot at more times by drunk hunters in the north woods of Wisconsin than any issues I’ve had here.
Careful if you sell it anymore I’ll move there next… already got a good friend out there trying to get me to join him on the FD. He’s a bit more north tho.
100%. You have to be happy with yourself. Because "Wherever you go, there you are."
I’ve tried to explain this to a lot of folks. They get in this “if only I could move to X I’d be happy/I wouldn’t have problems.” They don’t say it so outright, but that’s what they mean. Unfortunately, our problems move with us because we usually are part of the problem (eg lifestyle, behavior, relationship patterns). Learning to be happy and at home where you are is very zen but very true. You can still want to move somewhere to provide a different life(style), but a lot of folks treat moving as the solution and it’s not.

@offwidth I’m only at 30…

Grew up in southern Illinois, moved to Indianapolis when I got married, moved to South Dakota for graduate school. Teach high school English in a very small school; the largest class has (I think) 17 students. My oldest was born in Indiana, the two middle kids are SD girls, and there's one on the way who'll be born here. I'm a converted Dakotan. Blistering hot summers, freezing cold winters, but I love it.

Careful if you sell it anymore I’ll move there next… already got a good friend out there trying to get me to join him on the FD. He’s a bit more north tho.

I’ve tried to explain this to a lot of folks. They get in this “if only I could move to X I’d be happy/I wouldn’t have problems.” They don’t say it so outright, but that’s what they mean. Unfortunately, our problems move with us because we usually are part of the problem (eg lifestyle, behavior, relationship patterns). Learning to be happy and at home where you are is very zen but very true. You can still want to move somewhere to provide a different life(style), but a lot of folks treat moving as the solution and it’s not.

@offwidth I’m only at 30…
And… “not all those that wander are lost“….

I’ll offer a counterpoint to the “happiness is in you not where you live”, I was extremely unhappy growing up in Utah as a non Mormon in the most Mormon county in the state. I kept telling myself that if I could get out of Utah, I would be happier.

And I was, immensely. Same person, but not being treated as a gentile constantly was a great relief.

Back
Top Bottom