all posts post new thread

what metrics to document for 10k Swing Challenge

cwheeler33

Level 6 Valued Member
This summer I'll be embarking on the 10,000 KB Swing Challenge.

I will be making some small personalizations based on a whole bunch reading up of peoples' results as well as updated comments by Dan John about the program. For the grinds in between sets I'll be doing dips, chinups, and TGU's(2days for this one). I'll be running the challenge 4 days per wek for 5 weeks. I'll be waving the weights throughout the challenge, keeping in mind two of the most important numbers, first to do 10k reps in 20 sessions, the second is that the total volume must be about 240,000 KG moved. I've flexed my brain just a little to incorporate a 15-20% delta on the volume between weeks. I plan to start the challenge July 1st.

But one of the things I found lacking in all that reading are clear metrics by people posting their "results". One perfect example - "my grip strength increased"... ok, but how do you know? Here are some metrics I'm planning to record for the "challenge" and would like some input about things you may add or remove from the list.

daily sessions record the following:
time, avg HR, peak HR

tested weekly:
Resting HR, Blood Pressure, Weight, BF%, Hip:Waist ratio, Forearm size

beginning/end of challenge:
test day1: chinup RM max, dips rm max, standing long jump, YMCA step up HR test, pullup bar hang time
test day2: S&S timed with 32KG KB

Advice and comments are welcome.

@Dan John is probably the best person to answer this. I did it years ago and dropped several inches off my waist and increased my pull up numbers, probably from the weight loss. I stuck with dips, pull ups, goblet squats and presses when I could do them.

I've always wondered if S&S was derived from deconstructing the miraculous results some people have claimed on the 10K swing challenge.

1/5 the daily volume, none of the wear and tear, but amplifying the explosiveness of each swing instead of reaching the required numbers with easier, endurance-oriented swings. And, eventually, using much heavier weights. I bet, at the high end of S&S achievement, the daily tonnage moved is similar. And that's where AXE comes in to really crank up those numbers.

Last edited:
I've always wondered if S&S was derived from deconstructing the miraculous results some people have claimed on the 10K swing challenge.

1/5 the daily volume, none of the wear and tear, but amplifying the explosiveness of each swing instead of reaching the required numbers with easier, endurance-oriented swings. And, eventually, using much heavier weights. I bet, at the high end of S&S achievement, the daily tonnage moved is similar. And that's where AXE comes in to really crank up those numbers.
An interesting though worth thinking about.... I wasn't intedning on comparing the challenge to anything else but this is thought provoking...

S&S at 40KG comes to 80,000 KG of volume in a month, which is 1/3 that of the 10K Challenge. It makes sense that the lower S&S numbers allow you to sustain work over a long period. A challenge is meant to be short term burst of energie. It's been said before, which was born out of lots of testing, that 75-100 reps per day is sustainable but higher not so much.

For Axe and still using 40KG KB to continue the example... At twice per week and assuming 60min EMOM for 4-5 weeks you range 76,000 to 96,000 KG of volume. You get a little more if you can tolerate that third day of reduced weight. Which is still 1/3ish to 1/2 of the 10k challenge.

So no, not the same tonnage at the end of a month despite using a smaller weight. But the force production of S&S and AXE has other benefits. And one of those primary benefits is of course NOT burning out. But one month out of a full year of consistent training for a challenge won't burn me out either. In fact, I'm hoping this challenge will in fact propel me forward to do Plan060 afterwards...

I have vote for the 1.5 mile run test pre-and post.

Some context:
It is in fact articles like this one that prompted this question! And this article is why I included the step up test.

I have two reasons for not using the run. First is piss poor locations for me to reliably do a run. The other is, running triggers my asthma faster than anything else does. This is why I included the step up test. It gives me roughly the same type of information but without triggering my asthma.

@Dan John is probably the best person to answer this. I did it years ago and dropped several inches off my waist and increased my pull up numbers, probably from the weight loss. I stuck with dips, pull ups, goblet squats and presses when I could do them.
hmm... them pullups... I think I have an idea to eliminate the variable for weight loss. I would need to know my weight before and the chin up numbers (check). And then at the end of the challenge on test day I would need to add weight to weigh the same thing. Similarly I would need to do it for the pullup bar hang test.

Hmmm... the pullup up bar hang would test the endurance of my grip but not the strength of it. Would grippers be a better test? Any other better ideas?

That was a great thought provoker. Thank you.

An interesting though worth thinking about.... I wasn't intedning on comparing the challenge to anything else but this is thought provoking...

S&S at 40KG comes to 80,000 KG of volume in a month, which is 1/3 that of the 10K Challenge. It makes sense that the lower S&S numbers allow you to sustain work over a long period. A challenge is meant to be short term burst of energie. It's been said before, which was born out of lots of testing, that 75-100 reps per day is sustainable but higher not so much.

For Axe and still using 40KG KB to continue the example... At twice per week and assuming 60min EMOM for 4-5 weeks you range 76,000 to 96,000 KG of volume. You get a little more if you can tolerate that third day of reduced weight. Which is still 1/3ish to 1/2 of the 10k challenge.

So no, not the same tonnage at the end of a month despite using a smaller weight. But the force production of S&S and AXE has other benefits. And one of those primary benefits is of course NOT burning out. But one month out of a full year of consistent training for a challenge won't burn me out either. In fact, I'm hoping this challenge will in fact propel me forward to do Plan060 afterwards...
Thanks for running the numbers. I used a 48kg kettlebell for my mental calculations and I'm pretty sure the average power output is much higher during S&S, but I won't put up a fight.

It is in fact articles like this one that prompted this question! And this article is why I included the step up test.

I have two reasons for not using the run. First is piss poor locations for me to reliably do a run. The other is, running triggers my asthma faster than anything else does. This is why I included the step up test. It gives me roughly the same type of information but without triggering my asthma.
Running gives me shin splints so I understand.

On the grip strength comment, my ability to knock out the 50-rep sets definitely improved over the course of the challenge. The first few days were tough on the forearms - by the end it was much easier.

I think you are over thinking it. Knock out the 10,000-swing challenge or don't. Not to sound harsh but you are putting too much thought into it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You'll see results if you watch your diet.

I've done Dan's program and to tell you the truth, 20 rounds of 500 swings a day isn't my cup of tea.

I saw fantastic quick results from 10,000 swings in 10 days. Which I've done 3-4 times. Could bang out sets of 40-50 with 24, 32 much easier than when I started. Grip improved, conditioning was awesome. Recommended for pre-vacation shred.

Last edited:
How did you guys manage wear and tear on your hands? I can't do two-hand swings without significant rubbing on the outer edges of my hands because they just don't fit into a kettlebell handle. I think the only reason I haven't given it a shot is because i can't have torn callouses and popped blisters in my every day life for a month.

How did you guys manage wear and tear on your hands? I can't do two-hand swings without significant rubbing on the outer edges of my hands because they just don't fit into a kettlebell handle. I think the only reason I haven't given it a shot is because i can't have torn callouses and popped blisters in my every day life for a month.
I would use my T-Handle. If you do use one, I suggest 25lb plates or smaller so that you can maintain a normal stance.

Haven’t done the challenge but my hands are too big to all fit when swinging ( sounds kinky ). I only fit a few fingers on each hand, the rest go outside the handle.

Haven’t done the challenge but my hands are too big to all fit when swinging ( sounds kinky ). I only fit a few fingers on each hand, the rest go outside the handle.
lol that did sound dirty. I'm in a similar boat. My hands are too big to fit in the handle, but too small for me to have fingers outside the handle, so I just overlap some fingers. If I had two lighter bells, I think I would give the 10k challenge a try.

lol that did sound dirty. I'm in a similar boat. My hands are too big to fit in the handle, but too small for me to have fingers outside the handle, so I just overlap some fingers. If I had two lighter bells, I think I would give the 10k challenge a try.
Haha, thinking about it, my two outer fingers rest on the upright of the bell handle, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom