all posts post new thread

What next? Double Kettlebells or Barbells?

I currently have no rack and simply have to clean the bar for squats
Squats

The issue with using the weight that you can Clean to Squat is that it does not allow for a heavy enough load to increase Maximum Strength.

If increasing Maximum Strength is an objective, here are some solution is...

1) Steps Up

Stepping Up on a sturdy box is a one Legged Squat.

It doesn't take a lot of weight to develop Maximum Strength with this Movement.

Let's use an example of a 160 lb individual performing Step Ups.

When performing a bilateral (two leg) Squat each leg is load with 80 lbs.

In performing a unilateral (one leg) Step Up Squat, that means it double the loading.

An individual's loading on one leg in a Step Up is 160 lbs.

Barbell Step Ups Squats

If an individual cleans a 100 lb barbell for a Back Squat Step Up and perform it, the loading would be a 260 lb one leg Step Up Squat. (160 lb body weight + 100 lb Barbell).

Dumbbell Step Up Squats

This method works, as well. Holding a Dumbbell in one hand and performing a Step Up Squat.

One of the benefits of this method is being able to hold on to something with the free hand.

Doing so, allows for a greater load to be use.

It minimize that Stabilier Muscles, placing a greater load on the Prmary Muscle in the Movement; OverLoading them.

Thus, an individual to can decide it they want to emphasize the work on the Stabilizer or Primary Muscle in the Squat Step Ups to a greater or lesser extent.

2) Bulgarian Spit Squat

This is anoher Unilateral One Leg Squat Movcement that can be employed.

Ego Overload

This is a common issue primarily with men.

It leads to injuries and OverTraining; overall bad decisions.

The key is to use that big muscle that sits on your neck; your brain. :)

The key is to control your emotions rather than letting them control you.
It's the other brain that normally gets me in trouble :)

Which is what I do .

Easy strength-is barbell work at the gym

Kettlebell work at home
That’s great!

I don’t know anyone else that trains seriously with kettlebells so when people ask me why I like them so much I usually just say because they’re in my basement. Of course there are more reasons but that’s a huge one.

So how do you manage doing both? Do you have a consistent schedule like two days at the gym two at home, or is it more random and flexible?

Power Training

Overall, Power Training will be more effective with Olympic Movement.

Since the stability is greater with an Olympic Barbell Movement, greater Force will be produced and trained.

Kettlebell Swings

When performed with the right loading and in the right repetition range, this produce Power Outputs that rivals Olympic Movements.
That might be true but I should have specified that I have virtually no barbell experience, so I’d plan on starting with dead’s squat and presses instead of Olympic lifts

I agree for both, but if you have the space, you can certainly have a barbell at home.

And to Mark's point, you can just start off with DL -- no rack needed.
I definitely have the space, but even with out the rack a barbell set up would be pricey.

Money aside, I’d be content doing barbell deadlifts with single kettlebells if I could find a good program.

I definitely have the space, but even with out the rack a barbell set up would be pricey.

Over time, I'm not so sure barbells are more expensive.

I have double KBs in 4 kg increments all the way up to 2 x32 kg.

If you buy powder coated iron, that's about $300 just for the 2 x 32. And then if you add in additional pairs, it gets expensive quickly.

An entry level barbell can be had for $250-300, but it scales much better because iron plates can be found on the used market super cheap.

Another vote for 2xKBs. The barbell is very un forgiving and imparts a lot of unnecessary compression on the body. Unilateral training is where its at. Just finished a 12 week 2xKB program from @Geoff Neupert and the results were eye popping. The physique created by double bells and the bang for your buck on training time is unmatched in my experience. So many crazy benefits from a few simple moves.

lol ego is exactly why I want to lift a barbell

So go for the barbell. None of this is permanent. My own training, all done at home, currently revolves around barbell deadlift and kettlebell presses. I like to have a 2-arm and a 1-arm lift in my program. I'll repeat something I've said here before - I operate on a 5-year plan, typically focusing on barbell PRs in the first part of it, and then going off to do more kettlebell work and also odd lifts in the USAWA. My 5-year plan isn't etched in stone, e.g., I'm about to hit the 3-years-in mark in my current one, but I've decided to work on improving my deadlift by practicing sumo for a while - first time in my life I've ever done sumo for more than an odd rep or two - and trying to make my shoulders healthier by doing presses from different positions of the getup and also 1-arm military presses. I do swings once or twice a week and walk and that's pretty much it for me.

I think a goal that motivates you is a great thing. Who cares if it looks like ego to some people?

And I'll recommend a goal - aim to attend the StrongFirst Lifter Certification, the SFL, a couple of years from now. Deadlift is a great way to begin, pairing it with kettlebell presses and getups would work fine, and then at some point you'd switch your pressing to the bench press, and after a bit of that, you'd learn and practice the squat, and a bit after that, pick yourself a local powerlifting competition and/or a date for your SFL.

-S-

Steve's advice is great and that is exactly what worked for me. The first custom program I ever did (and first time I ever had a coach) was a deadlift and press cycle that @Al Ciampa wrote for me in late 2014. I learned so much and definitely made progress.

Money aside, I’d be content doing barbell deadlifts with single kettlebells if I could find a good program.
PM me and I'll see if I can get you going on one.

Barbell = Bulky?

This is completely wrong.

How did you come up with this?

Olympic Movements

Yes, Olyjmpic Movement produce and develop some of the highest Power Outputs, if not the highest.

Other Movements

1) Trap Bar Jumps

These also can be performed while holding Dumbbells.

2) Kettlebell Swing

a) When performed with loads of 30% up to near body weight.

b) When the Kettlebell Swings are kept to 5 Repetition or less.

That Depends

It depends on if the gym has a platform; some do.

Secondly, Olympic Movement can be perform if the gym has a Power Rack, such as...

Olympic Pulls

1) Olympic Clean or Snatch Low Pulls or High Pulls

2) Olmpic Power Cleans. Power Snatches doesn't work weii in most Power Racks.

Catching The Weight

Getting the weight down, amount to guiding it down, then catching it on the thighs.

Push Press

This is a Power Movement.

It may not be able to perform it in a Power Rack. But it can be perform from the outside of the Power Rack or Squat Racjks.
The guy said he wants to move well for sports. I think heavy barbell work would prevent that. I have done strength training for years and gotten very bulky. That is what I wanted and I was happy about that. Now that I am older I want more to move well and be healthy so I stick with kettlebells.

I wish it were that easy!
You have to eat a lot. I began serious strength training at age 33 @ 185 lbs. At age 40 I was my strongest and biggest @ 240 lbs. I'm 50 years old now and 220 lbs. I eat plenty, but to stay 240 I have to eat and take shakes, etc.

The guy said he wants to move well for sports. I think heavy barbell work would prevent that. I have done strength training for years and gotten very bulky. That is what I wanted and I was happy about that. Now that I am older I want more to move well and be healthy so I stick with kettlebells.
Barbell training doesn’t have to work like you described.

-S-

You have to eat a lot. I began serious strength training at age 33 @ 185 lbs. At age 40 I was my strongest and biggest @ 240 lbs. I'm 50 years old now and 220 lbs. I eat plenty, but to stay 240 I have to eat and take shakes, etc.

The barbell is just a tool.

The outcomes will be driven by your programming and nutrition.

You could just as easily look at CrossFit athletes and see examples where lots of barbell work is not making them bulky.

The challenge I've found with KB DLs is they're just not heavy enough.

A really heavy KB is 40-48 kg, but if used for a single KB DL, that's super duper light, unless you're doing 1 legged.

The barbell is very un forgiving and imparts a lot of unnecessary compression on the body.

I actually consider both of these to be features not bugs. ;)

The mobility required to do a barbell snatch is something I'm grateful to be forced upon me.

And the axial loading provides a high stimulus and systemic impact for time invested.

Back
Top Bottom