all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What size bell next

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Gary Wilson It doesn't sound like you're doing Simple & Sinister, however the book has some very good charts and directions for working from the 16k to the 24k bell. Even if you're not following that program, these would be very useful and easily adapted to your circuits. There are a lot of benefits to working in the 24, if it's done properly. Will increase your strength to a new level. The benefit to the 20 is it's easier, assuming you don't follow a proper progression.

cardio sucks big time thats been the hardest part for me

It's not just you! Cardio base building takes time. Runners, cyclists etc. all train for months in Zone 2 (heart rate) to build up the aerobic base. I believe this is also the case for anti-glycolytic training, and A+A being one of the protocols to practice.

Its no crime to do 2 hand swings with 24kg if one hand sw is still too much for you.

I think many variables go into this. I am a small guy with a distance running background. I quickly achieved Simple doing S&S and felt like the jump from 24 to 32 was appropriate, and I have stacked bells for 40kg swings and TGUs (I only get a new bell once a year) without much trouble.

However -- having also done ROP clean and press ladders, I found that I really benefited from using a 20kg kettlebell; the jump from 16 to 24 was too much for me. I am 5'8" and ~ 157 lbs for reference. I have a weak press. I think many would (probably correctly) argue that I should / could have worked to own the 16 and then moved to the 24, but the 16 felt very light after that first ROP.

SO, program, fitness background, your size, your geometry, your strengths, and your weaknesses all are part of the equation.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom