all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "What The Hell Effect" in full effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jongeese

First Post
Certified Instructor
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd share something that I experienced last night at work as it demonstrates the ol' "WTH" effect exactly.

I'm a LEO in NY and I got into a foot pursuit last night at 4am. It only lasted about 2 minutes, but it was uphill, I was wearing my 20+ pounds of gear, and the suspect was 15 years younger than me (mid 20s), and was lean, tall and muscular.

I'm happy to say that with the assistance of colleagues, we were able to take him into custody and make a good arrest. I'm even more happy to say that literally all I've been doing for the last month is the main program from the 8-hour StrongFirst kettlebell course manual, 1st ed., I got in January '15, and that at the conclusion of the pursuit, I still felt strong and recovered quickly.

Given my job, I was wary of practicing so little and especially of just focusing on explosiveness in my swings as opposed to higher repetitions. After many years, I'm still on a permanent overnight shift and my sleep is not ideal, forcing me to drastically curtail how and how long I train and to shift my goals entirely.

However, as I said, despite the overall low volume of training and the lack of a pure "cardio" element, during the pursuit and afterwards I felt very confident in my overall abilities. I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised. During all my years of barbell and calisthenics training, I've never felt a more overall sense of athleticism than with kettlebell training, especially with this latest manifestation called StrongFirst.

If you are a first responder, military (I was that too somewhat long ago), a cop, or just someone who wants to function effectively throughout life, as we already know I think we've come to the right place.

Anyway, just thought some folks might be interested in this story from the real world.

Thanks for reading and godspeed in all of your endeavors.

Jon

Inspiring story. Thank you, Jon.

Do you find you are ready to do your job, while training nearly everyday? As opposed to some other long gruelling form of training like bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. where you always feel sore or beat up.

P.S: Do you do any grip specific training? If I had to wrestle perps, and cuff bad guys, I would want a vise grip.

Last edited:
Thank you for what you do and a great WTH story

As a retired Leo, I read your message "loud and clear"......amazing what focusing on a couple of basic moves with a primitive piece of equipment can do for job performance! God bless and stay safe.

Great story!

I'm looking forward to join Red Cross next year, here in Italy, just to find a purpose for strength, and I hope I'll write a similar post to yours in the future. Although I understand you job's risks are not comparable to volunteering for the Red Cross, I have to thank Strong First for this: after years of being lazy and weak, strength have made me understand it has a greater purpose in one's existence. I always tried to help out in fields where I felt proficient, and feel like we should tend towards others in the best way possibile and, as I grow stronger by the day, I can see how I could turn physical training into something more.

I can blame only myself for discovering strength training so late in my life and right now, by Italian laws, I'm too old for enroling in the Army (and, consequentially, can't aply for any law enforcement job) or even be a permanent firefighter. I'd be eligible to apply for being a volounteer FF (given I'd pass physical and mental tests), but I have a full time job that prevents this possibility too. Red Cross will be the way I'll help out, and find a purpose for strength.

Lastly (and more important), even if I'm from another Country, thanks for your service, Sir. God bless You and all the other good officers in the world.

On a side note: Mr. @Geoff Chafe , remembering your kind answer to the 100 TGUs feat a couple of days ago in another thread, I understand you have knowledge regarding developing a crushing grip, and from my modest Martial Arts background I agree with you about the importance of it in hostile physical confrontations. Could you please recommend some simple and quick exercises that can be implemented in, say, a S&S protocol at the end of training to improve grip strength? Thank you in advance!

@Frank_IT
-towel or rope hangs bent and straight arm
-plate pinching, two hand and one hand, deadlifts, carries, around the worlds
-farmers walks or holds , DB, KB, BB, fat or standard grip

I love various sledge hammer levers and swings. A great finisher, do a few variations at the end a workout. Slowly build up volume to avoid over stress. They are so fun to me I got a little carried away when I started causing wrist and thumb pain. Hits many aspects of grip and wrist strength. If you only have kettlebells, do KB Wrist Deadlift variations, they have a similar effect.

Grippers of course. Usually evening, morning, or variety days. Easy to do while watching tv, sitting in traffic, or something. Grease the groove style with a difficult gripper.

I can almost close the #3 with the right hand, I had great success after following these.
Hand grippers training- hand gripper, grippers, hand strength, sport, muscles
Hand gripper training- hand gripper, grippers, hand strength, sport, muscles

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'll start farmer walking like there's no tomorrow. Ialso own a couple of easy grippers that I'll us for practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom