all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What would you do if you had to start over?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
A while back I came across a thread of the old forum asking this same question: if you had to start your fitness journey from scratch, what would you do?

This question would apply to your specific goals, or some general fitness goals most of us consider useful, such as:

• 2-2.5 BW deadline
  • 1.5-2 BW squat
  • 100 snatches in 5 minutes with 24 kg
  • A pistol
  • A 1 arm push up.
  • A lot of pull ups?
  • (Or a general guideline for athletes as laid up by Dan John in easy strength)

Fortunately I haven't reached these goals, so I still have time to optimize my path to them.

I couldn't find the original thread from the old forum, when I find it I'll include the link.

@Oscar, the forum's search feature priorities recent posts over older ones, so you might have to scroll through the results a bit. If you haven't done this already, when you search the old forum, ask it to just search in that section - that should help.

-S-

A good question. Although I wonder what I could think of as my "fitness journey".

When it gets to exercising, I wish I'd have tried different sports more aggressively, more open-mindedly and younger. That's the biggest thing that comes to mind now. I hope that I could have found a sport to which I have a passion for much earlier in my life.

When I think of myself now and myself as a younger version of me, and consider how hard it is to beat any wisdom in my head these days, I think it's pure folly for me to even imagine being able to do it to a younger version of me, so I'm reluctant to try think of any great insights that I could have learned at that age without maturing as a whole. If anything, I wish I'd have found a good, respectable and convincing coach to guide me back then. The passion would have kept me training, and maybe with luck, there would have been good coaching as well.

I wish I had found kettlebells when I was playing competitive football. The swing and TGU has so much potential for goalkeepers in soccer.

Interesting question. One thing I've learned since I started as a personal trainer is that there is a vast range of "starting over" points. One person's starting over might be where can only hope to arrive at after a year of diligent work on strength, movement, posture, breathing, weight loss, and aerobic capacity.

As an example, the kettlebell swing -- some student are doing a swing within 30 minutes of being introduced to the kettlebell. Others take months of kettlebell deadlifts and goblet squats (regressed or modified to start, if necessary) before they're ready to even try swings under supervision.

Same thing with a get-up. Some people do one unweighted, with beautiful form and no problems right off the bat, and then they're ready to load it with a kettlebell. Other people need weeks or months strength work to even do an unweighted roll-to-elbow, a low sweep, or a lunge.

I should add that I am very pleased to work with the people who have the farthest to go, because they are the ones often "left behind" by the traditional fitness industry. Our way of training accommodates everyone!

Thinking of myself, I've never been too far our of shape because I was a military member age 20-40 so had to maintain a minimum standard. But I was a smoker for many of those years, and never really excelled at anything physically until almost age 40 when I started kayaking and then bicycling. Currently at age 50 having added strength training for several years now and I'm probably in the best shape of my life. So I'm not sure what to think of as my starting over point.

I do however have an older sister who is not in good shape. So here is what I would do if she and I switched physical bodies, and I was starting there:
  • 1st month: Walk 30 minutes per day. Walk at a moderate pace, collecting data on pace and heart rate but not reacting to the data. Just walk. Make a few diet changes to increase healthy food (veggies, fiber, protein) and decrease processed food and sugar. Do 5 x 5 squats every other day, holding onto something for support (doorknob, counter, etc.). On opposite days, 5 x 5 kettlebell deadlift and 5 x 5 kettlebell press, increasing weights with good form.
  • 2nd month: Walk 30 minutes per day, but 2 days per week stretch it to 45 min or an hour, and possibly make intensity modifications based on pace or HR. Go hungry occasionally (an easy intermittent fast), skipping breakfast or dinner when it's convenient. Eat enough to maintain energy levels but enough of a deficit to lose excess body fat. Continue kettlebell work, perhaps progressing to goblet squats, swings, get-ups; S&S style.
  • 3rd month: Continue walking and diet. Start a barbell strength program: deadlift, squat, press, and bench press. Along with that, do kettlebell swings 2x/week and get-ups 2x/week but only at light to moderate volume/intensity. Add a few easy calisthenics that can be done in small sets throughout the day such as air squats, wall-push-ups, jumping jacks. Add in any stretches or mobility for areas that may need work.
  • Repeat until strong and feeling good, with healthy body composition. Possibly rotate barbell and kettlebell programs for strength and conditioning. Hike, kayak, bike, etc. for recreation and enjoyment. Pursue skills, strength, and interests to stay engaged and continue progressing in the desired direction.

After a lot of searching I managed to find the original thread. The title is a bit misleading, since it's not about Starting Strength book.

Starting strength

If I had to start over, I would do different the following things:

- get the idea of "no pain no gain" out of my head. Following that motto, exercising should be a painful experience instead of a pleasure.

- in the same line of thinking, do strength training as a practice instead of a workout.

- doing most my running below MAF.

- if I could go back to my childhood, I would have loved to practice gymnastics back then. Unfortunately it's not very common here in Argentina.

The thing I did right when I started training: training consistently and starting simple. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I never missed a session and have slowly built up the volume to the point where I am fairly fit.

The thing I did wrong: chasing shiny workouts rather than doing a simple program. I started before S&S existed but I wish I'd spent the first three years doing ETK or something along those lines. By the time S&S came out I was tired of my lack of progress and thus receptive to the message it was presenting. Things changed radically for me then.

So, if I started over being terribly out of shape but knowing what I know now the only difference would be the simplicity of the programming and the objective nature of having specific weight goals to aim for.

Also, every dollar and minute I spent on coaching and attending courses was well worth it. The SFG course also was a turning point in my "career." I didn't pursue it as much early on because of financial limitations mainly, but it would've really accelerated my progress, I think.

All I'd really tell my younger self is that what you really want is to be the strongest guy in the room... not the biggest. Lay off the cheeseburgers.

I would take it easy on the gymnastics and yoga. Pushed to even a light extreme, both can be rather detrimental to the body's structure. And I would start with kettlebells at a much earlier age :)

My goal for my first 15 years or so of training was, of course, to build big muscles and pull the chicks. So number one if I could do my time over would be to revisit that goal to arrive at something more measurable. Like how big is 'big' and how many 'chicks' did I need! Seriously though the concept of Park Bench Training was unknown to me, I left every gym session completely smashed and years later I still carry some legacy of overtraining and overuse injuries. If I could start over it would be with newfound patience, disinclination for failure training and appreciation for long term programming and progression

I should have spent more time studying and learning to make use of a wider variety of fitness means and metrics than I did, and taking them seriously.

Understanding basic movement patterns and training the ones that are/were most applicable to my goals rather than just exercising in a vague sense, even when making progress on specific strength or size targets.

Honestly, nothing. S&S was my starting point, and I couldn't have made a better choice. I totally dig the "inch wide, mile deep" mindset of this type of training: skill mastery, consistency/"blue collar" approach, etc.

My goal in starting this was to get generally fit and strong heading into "early middle age" (30). S&S got me there; TSC validated it (nearly 1.5x deadlift, multiple pull-ups, and 100 snatches in 5:00 with 20kg); and my doctor is amazed (down 30 pounds net, body fat percentage from high 20s to high teens, 6" off waist circumference, triglycerides from 300 to 86, total cholesterol of 106 - the lowest he's seen in the last year of practice).

Got my wife into it, she is now up to one-arm swings with 16kg (working on one-arm with 20kg), two-arm with 24kg, getups with 12kg (soon to be 16kg as she gets used to the pressure against her forearm), presses with 12kg, working on flexed arm hangs, and she can plank way longer than I can. So that is a 100% n=2 success rate so far. Now my mom is asking questions, and I have her doing bodyweight squats to start out.

While I want to progress in the press (at least to 1/side @ 32kg, if not 1/2 bodyweight), S&S will be my center of gravity for the foreseeable future - the protocol I return to between other programs, or use to maintain my current level of mobility, strength, and conditioning.

@Sean M Awesome story, both for you and the impact on your family - inspiring.

The #1 lesson I've learned is that increasing intensity is not the most effective route to improving performance. I have a tendency to try to hit it hard in the gym, and have noticed much, much better results since dialing it back (meaning longer rest between sets, fewer 'extra' exercises/finishers after the main workout, lower HR cardio, etc). Wish I had taken this mindset from the beginning, but I think I had to learn it the hard way.

Also, I spent a lot of time early in my weightlifting days back squatting (per the focus on it in programs like stronglifts, 5/3/1, etc). Personally, I find that exercise takes too much out of me in terms of recovery and mobility. I feel and move much better since shifting my focus to the deadlift, and only doing relatively light kettlebell squats (goblet almost every workout as a warm-up, and occasionally DFSQ).

I would have hired an sfg to teach me. It would have saved time and prevented some aches and pains from not having correct form when learning some moves. It still would be helpful, but there are none up here in Fairbanks

Growing up, I didn't have any coaches or mentors or anyone to teach me but I had free weights and I had access to books about exercise. But I didn't have an appreciation for making a plan and sticking to it. I also got hung up because I didn't have the equipment needed for some ultimate workout plan and so I did nothing.

If I could go back I would tell myself to make a plan and stick to it. And if I didn't have the equipment for a certain exercise, just find something else that I can do and then actually do it.

I would buy Tactical Barbell 1 and 2. Doing base building and then advance to Operator or Fighter template with Black or Green protocol, depending on if I have any races booked. When I would want to step up my game I would hire Andrew Read as a coach and excel even further. Thats all you need.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom