all posts post new thread

Kettlebell when to do S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

When is an optimal time to do your S&S session? In order to do it before work, i need to get up at 5am. I have been trying, but just feel so stiff and unmotivated. After work i get to my motel around 6pm. Should i just keep pushing to do it in the morning or wait till afterwork and see how the work day beats me up and gauge from there? On the weekends when I'm home i don't have much trouble doing barbell work in the morning but that might be because i sleep in a bit and am not rushed and can wake up on my terms. I am wondering if there may be some ill effects from doing it so late at night as it does seem to recharge and i try to be in bed and asleep by 10pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a morning fan.

It's really difficult for me to get up for many reasons. I'm old, I'm tired, and I'm a newlywed.

But my session is 20 minutes shorter because my recovery times between sets are quicker.

And I truly feel recharged and fresh before I start my day where I need my body to function at work.

Don't know if this helps but morning sessions whenever I have tried have been tough.

I usually train at around 7pm when I get home, last night I didn't get back until 8pm and trained then. I quite like the evening sessions as they seem to undo some of the damage of sitting most of the day. I imagine if one has a physical job then evening training might be difficult due to energy levels.

I train at 5am and its difficult for similar reasons. I don't like training at 8pm because it gets me so amped up I can't sleep.... I choose the lesser of two evils and just push thru it. My warmups usually take longer but I'm ok with that.

Your first few responses show the different opinions you will get.

The best time of day for your session is when you will actually DO it.

From there you'll adjust to what works BEST for YOU.

For now...

JUST DO IT

I train at 5am and its difficult for similar reasons. I don't like training at 8pm because it gets me so amped up I can't sleep.... I choose the lesser of two evils and just push thru it. My warmups usually take longer but I'm ok with that.

+2
Add that it feels easier and I feel charged and ready for the day ahead.

If memory serves, research has show that midday, a time not practical for many people, is ideal.

-S-

I am a morning training person, with very good rationale based upon personal experience. When I get up and go train at 5 am, I am done with my training for the day and can now take the rest of the day as it comes. It might be hard to get up some days, in fact I have overslept the past two days. If I decide to train after work, what happens is that I rarely feel like gym time due to being mentally tired from working all day, or I am hungry and just want to go home to eat, or something comes up with family or friends that needs to be done after work, or etc... etc... It seems that something comes up on a regular basis. In a nutshell, training in the mornings is best for me due to less outside forces trying to derail my training.

Just for fun I googled "why morning is best for exercise", "why evening is best for exercise", "when is best time for exercise". Didn't find much to convince me of anything other than some is better than none. I like the morning because it gets me going and makes the day feel fuller. I have more time for family stuff. Bad thing about the morning routine, for me, is that it only takes one day of sleeping in to derail your program. Thus, I do mine after work :D

I don't find a lot of difference, myself. If it's a "practice", any time of day works. Best time is when you can focus on what you're doing. If it's a "workout" or you're going for new weight territory, yeah, you need to be when your energy is high. But S&S is best as a practice, most days. You build your abilities when you practice in varying states of readiness.

"Whatever time I will actually do it instead of just saying I'm going to do it" has always been the time that works best for me. That time is almost always afternoon/evening.

I imagine if one has a physical job then evening training might be difficult due to energy levels.

You are spot on.

After my typical 10 hour day, moving over a ton of freight, walking several miles, and 30-50 flights of stairs, my energy level be low...

I take my bell in my truck to work and do it at lunch. Obviously, not everybody's job makes that possible. Early to mid afternoon is best time for me

I go for the evenings after 8 or 10 hours working at the shipyard. It is oftentimes taxing and most days I just want supper and a beer. But, 3 or 4 days a week I get it in and man is it good. I feel like a million bucks afterwords and supper and a beer tastes even better.

Any tips to help get going in the morning? I am going to give morning training a go again. After work is becoming too much.

Find a few, high roi (return on investment) moves for yourself when you get up. For me, as but one example, swinging my arms back and forth (spine rotations), doing a few TKD style side kicks, and a short hamstring stretch are what I need - perhaps 2 minutes of movement, followed by a few minutes of nothing but drinking coffee, and then I'm good to go.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom