all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Hypertrophy?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
An update today after about 5 months of this.

Pic of my 48, 40, and 32kg bells for today.
My 48, and 40 kg bell for upright rows, and the 32kg bell for curls today.
I like the way the towel allows me to position my hand to pull the weight.

It would seem that I am still making progress.
Yesterday my son was in the kitchen asking me for a snack and - perhaps out of a sense of flattery (or at least how flattery will get him everywhere with his mother) he proceeded to compliment me about how big my "muscles and biceps" are.

I've been including specific hypertrophy work approximately once a week. (sometimes twice a week.)
Excepting a couple of weeks in January when I fell ill.
I do upright rows for side delts and curls for the biceps.

Today in particular I feel compelled to share a detail I never saw coming.
I was doing my usual focused hypertrophy work, and I was shaking my arms out. I felt something I'd never felt before. I was shaking my arms out after a set and I felt the pull and tug of some "excess" mass on my shoulder kinda ... Jiggling ...
I could feel the pull of the mass pulling oppositely about the rotation of my loose arm. I realize that it's the mass of my deltoid (which is not yet anything to write home about). It was completely foreign to me, and it's a new sign of progress. the look of my shoulders has long benefited from the mere distance between my shoulders being a little wider than usual. But, in due time, as I continue with moderate weekly training, they're becoming more distinguishable.

Since last fall after eating extra between Thanksgiving and Xmas, my weight went from 245 -> 265 -> 255 lbs.
I'm currently "stuck" at 255 (since January) with slightly bigger shoulders and arms and about the same waistline.

Last edited:
It's funny timing seeing this thread. I am a huge SF adherent but hurt my back doing KB swings and decided to "bodybuild" for a while to put on some muscle and rehab my back.

Dan John has mentioned the Delorme method, which I figured why not? Itll be good for a few weeks then ill find a "real" bodybuilding routine once I get used to the gym (havent been in decades).

1 set 3 times a week per bodypart. No way this works.

Worked beautifully. Put on more muscle more quickly than I ever have and added reps or weight every workout.

I then tried a "real" bodybuilding routine and stalled. (if one set works so well then surely five works better!) Im an idiot.

I then found Borge Fargeli who basically takes the HIT idea but helps you find out through experimentation for yourself how much frequency and volume to do.

Im doing twice a week, one set per body part. Getting more muscular by the week and stronger every week as well. In and out of the gym in 30-35 minutes.

For me, for now, thats the sweet spot.
How is the Borge Fargeli work going?

Is this a Myo Reps set up?

Richard

How is the Borge Fargeli work going?

Is this a Myo Reps set up?

Richard
It went great, got stronger every week by 2-10% based on the exercise for a good 8 months. I am trying a super slow protocol now to see if there is any benefits in general of for bjj. Still one set to failure just longer time under load and slower cadences.

I was reflecting on the logs for my hypertrophy strength sessions. my shoulders and biceps are growing.
I have been going by feel, largely, as to how these sessions are going.

I'm averaging 113 kg increase per session which is really about once weekly or so. some twice a week, but mostly once a week.
I went from using the 32kg for sets of 10 with the upright row (shoulders) to using the 48kg bell for a set of 10.
And I've gone from using the 32kg bell for sets of 5 for curls to using the 32kg bell for a set of 10 plus backoff sets, some days.

I have been using a top set for the first set and including back-off sets based on feel.
I have used as few as 1 set for the day, and as many as 5 total sets per session.
It isn't clear to me that I can do anything to speed this process up.

The recovery between sessions has been indistinguishably similar. whether I've done a single all-out set - or used structured sets and included backoff sets. I estimate that has a lot to do with my low levels of development, and there might be occasions to revisit reps and sets later on in training; after I'm more developed.

I'm more content (that the trajectory is positive) than interested (in how steep the progress is). so, that's a caveat, I guess, on how I'm evaluating this progress.

1709399089553.png

Everything works at first. Same could be said about Mike Mentzer. He started at some point and whatever he was doing seems to have worked, at least at first.
Mentzer

It was developed with the Traditional Multi Set Bodybuilding Protocol which has been around for decades. It was and still is how Top Bodybuilder train today because it works.

Research has demonstrated that Multi Set is more effective than Jones' HIT Method.

With that said, HIT has it place in training for individual with limited time. However, no Pro Bodybuilder uses HIT. No Pro Bodybuilder has made it into the upper echelon with solely performing HIT.

Doreen Yates worked with Mentzer after reaching the top with Traditional Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Training.

The Nautilus Colorado Experiment with Casey Viator, when he gain muscle mass/weight with HIT, is misleading. Viator reached the top via Traditional Bodybuilding.

For some reason Viator, stopped training, lost weight prior to the Colorado Experiment. He then regained his weight and physique back.

The same is true with Strength Athletes.

Last edited:
here's this gem I got from somewhere on this forum about me overdoing my own kettlebell press training. The more you can do, the more you can do. Which, at the time, in my case, got me into trouble with some over training in my shoulders.
OverTraining

This is usually driven with good intensions who push it beyond the limit.

The end result is, as with you, in OverTraining your shoulders, injury, a stall in progression and eventually losing ground and going backwards.

And it is always an unknown at the outset; exactly how long it takes someone to compensate, and then, super-compensate. And the greater the intensity the longer the wait.
Training Intensity

One of the things HIT did demonstrate is that Training Intensity is one of he keys to progress.

Periodization Training

A well formulated Periodization Training Program Cycle needs to pushed near or to the limit in the final week of training, OverReaching.

Then a New Periodization Training Program with need to be begun.

Wound Healing

The greater the trauma the greater/longer the recovery period need to be.

Individual who achieve OverReaching during training and then who push into OverTraining end up losing ground, injuries like you shoulder issue, etc.

Last edited:
I went from using the 32kg for sets of 10 with the upright row (shoulders) to using the 48kg bell for a set of 10.
And I've gone from using the 32kg bell for sets of 5 for curls to using the 32kg bell for a set of 10 plus backoff sets, some days.

my low levels of development
Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but it seems to me you are developing just fine! You seem to pretty consistently make gains. What’s not developed?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but it seems to me you are developing just fine! You seem to pretty consistently make gains. What’s not developed?
Yeah, I am progressing fairly reliably in strength and ability, which I think is a huge net positive.

The development level I appeal to is a visual observation. I don't have anything resembling "20-inch arms".

I'm very happy with my strength levels for most of what I do. I can carry the kids a long way. One of my favorite things is that my RPE for carrying my 90+ lbs son, is lower now, than when I was carrying my son at ~80 lbs. before. ). I can move around branches and rocks on the little one-acre lot relatively easily. And I have been able to negotiate moving furniture successfully without much help.​
Specifically, getting 20-inch arms isn't where my interest lies. To one extent or another, I seek to "look the part" of being "big and strong". Where my delts end and my triceps begin is very hard to see sometimes. when I bend my arms, it isn't always visibly clear that there's a bicep muscle between my shoulder and forearm doing the work. but, progress is being made in either regard.​
I guess I feel like my chest and triceps look better, but my shoulders and biceps are disproportionately smaller, in my view. So, to present that I am "big and strong" better I'm including some size-specific targeted training, for now; specifically for shoulders and biceps.​

I'll reiterate, that I am more than satisfied with my strength and abilities as they serve my daily life more than adequately. However, It is (maybe unfortunately) the case, that I am affected by how my kids perceive me, visually. so, given where I'm at I'm working on adjusting that positively.

Yeah, I am progressing fairly reliably in strength and ability, which I think is a huge net positive.

The development level I appeal to is a visual observation. I don't have anything resembling "20-inch arms".

I'm very happy with my strength levels for most of what I do. I can carry the kids a long way. One of my favorite things is that my RPE for carrying my 90+ lbs son, is lower now, than when I was carrying my son at ~80 lbs. before. ). I can move around branches and rocks on the little one-acre lot relatively easily. And I have been able to negotiate moving furniture successfully without much help.​
Specifically, getting 20-inch arms isn't where my interest lies. To one extent or another, I seek to "look the part" of being "big and strong". Where my delts end and my triceps begin is very hard to see sometimes. when I bend my arms, it isn't always visibly clear that there's a bicep muscle between my shoulder and forearm doing the work. but, progress is being made in either regard.​
I guess I feel like my chest and triceps look better, but my shoulders and biceps are disproportionately smaller, in my view. So, to present that I am "big and strong" better I'm including some size-specific targeted training, for now; specifically for shoulders and biceps.​

I'll reiterate, that I am more than satisfied with my strength and abilities as they serve my daily life more than adequately. However, It is (maybe unfortunately) the case, that I am affected by how my kids perceive me, visually. so, given where I'm at I'm working on adjusting that positively.
Not much to add since this is really your experiment/training block, but I will say that when it comes to hypertrophy, exercise selection matters. Make sure the movements you are doing hit the muscles you want to see grow - esp shoulder and upper back. The way the scapula functions is fairly complex, as is the muscle activation per movement.

I've run a lot of quasi hypertrophy programs using different modes and accompanying exercises. I've watched how directly this influences the final product.

Not much to add since this is really your experiment/training block, but I will say that when it comes to hypertrophy, exercise selection matters. Make sure the movements you are doing hit the muscles you want to see grow - esp shoulder and upper back. The way the scapula functions is fairly complex, as is the muscle activation per movement.

I've run a lot of quasi hypertrophy programs using different modes and accompanying exercises. I've watched how directly this influences the final product.
Indeed, exercise selection, and apparently execution definitely help determine the outcome.

I've been using a peculiar version of these exercises, and it works well enough I suppose.

while I'm not a huge fan of whether pump/congestion/burn specifically indicates growth definitively, I do use it to gauge whether I've been successful at targeting a certain muscle. so I'm glad that when I shake and move between sets I can sense stiffness and discomfort where I was hoping to induce stress.​
I've been happy to use a towel to help pull the kettlebell vertically up, it allows me to pronate the hands. and I've found that with the palms supinated it increases the front delt involvement and the pronated hands decrease the share of work distributed onto the front delts. consequently, it helps increase the concentration of the load on the medial delt.​
also, the towel allows me to practice supinating the wrists during the curl. I'm not sure how much that matters, versus a straight bar or an easy curl bar. but it's something I do. twist the wrists from a neutral hand position to supinated, on the way up in the curl.​
I'm definitely "Limited" by my equipment (a few kettlebells and a towel), but my shoulders and biceps have been getting bigger over time.

I was thinking today, and I think when I notice results start to slow down, I'll think about specializing in the kettlebell row for a while to try and focus on the rear delt. there will be devils in the details about which muscles are targeted; given selection and execution.

Indeed, exercise selection, and apparently execution definitely help determine the outcome.

I've been using a peculiar version of these exercises, and it works well enough I suppose.

while I'm not a huge fan of whether pump/congestion/burn specifically indicates growth definitively, I do use it to gauge whether I've been successful at targeting a certain muscle. so I'm glad that when I shake and move between sets I can sense stiffness and discomfort where I was hoping to induce stress.​
I've been happy to use a towel to help pull the kettlebell vertically up, it allows me to pronate the hands. and I've found that with the palms supinated it increases the front delt involvement and the pronated hands decrease the share of work distributed onto the front delts. consequently, it helps increase the concentration of the load on the medial delt.​
also, the towel allows me to practice supinating the wrists during the curl. I'm not sure how much that matters, versus a straight bar or an easy curl bar. but it's something I do. twist the wrists from a neutral hand position to supinated, on the way up in the curl.​
I'm definitely "Limited" by my equipment (a few kettlebells and a towel), but my shoulders and biceps have been getting bigger over time.

I was thinking today, and I think when I notice results start to slow down, I'll think about specializing in the kettlebell row for a while to try and focus on the rear delt. there will be devils in the details about which muscles are targeted; given selection and execution.
If doing a one arm row, the variant I use with sandbag has my upper body no further angled than 45⁰. I try to keep my arm between elbow and hand straight to the floor to reduce bicep contribution.

The rest is all scapular, full pull up through the shoulderblade, at the top finish with a shrug. I do not use my off hand for support. These work great with the added drop of a sandbag or kettlebell.

Back
Top Bottom