all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Hypertrophy?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
I was initially responding to @bluejeff but I found myself rambling a bit. So I decided that I might be unfairly hijacking this good discussion on hypertrophy.

So I decided to separately post this thread instead.
That’s one thing I think I really agree on with his ideas. I like the idea of “do enough to make the gains you need and not more,” but critics of his method will point out that he (and Yates, if I am not mistaken), built his physique mostly with traditional barbell work and then maintained it with the HIT approach. There’s also the elephant in the room: PEDs.

Still, I like the idea. I’m just not quite sold that it’s as magic of a bullet as he made it sound.
Post in thread 'Hypertrophy' Other/Mixed - Hypertrophy

CRITICISMS
As far as the way Mike Mentzer built his physique, there are several thoughts I have around that.

Everything works at first. Same could be said about Mike Mentzer. He started at some point and whatever he was doing seems to have worked, at least at first. I find the claim that he merely maintained his physique on HIT training to be interesting. Forgive my ignorant curiosity but, would a man of his endeavor truly be satisfied with mere maintenance? Wouldn't he have expectations of improvement, at some level? Would he really be preaching it if he was only maintaining his physique? I don't know, but I have suspicions that he would not have been so enthusiastic if he was merely maintaining a physique.

As to the critical statement, but he built his physique with "classical bodybuilding" , there's a chronological issue. He was a convert to Arthur Jones' view at some point; not a native inhabitant. He wasn't a neophyte to body building when he met Arthur. And, I've never met a convert without a divergence from their earlier path. This doesn't necessarily have bearing on the claims that were later professed; it isn't like he tried HIT at first and it didn't work for him.

The part I understand the least is the bodybuilding competitively. I don't understand the history, scoring , or win loss records at all.

Lastly, PED use is something they all have to reckon with, I suppose. And it does put a caveat on any of their training methods being applied to an average natural joe.

And then, there's this gem I got from somewhere on this forum about me overdoing my own kettlebell press training. The more you can do, the more you can do. Which, at the time, in my case, got me into trouble with some over training in my shoulders. Too much volume. And it was echoed by @North Coast Miller 's excellent quip.
My 2 cents, the bigger and stronger you are, the better HIT will work for you.
Post in thread 'Hypertrophy' Other/Mixed - Hypertrophy

Probably true.
I think most would agree that training regimens are not equally well advised for trainees of different levels of development.
Novice ≠ intermediate ≠ advanced

However, I think that the generalities are much more valuable than the particulars.

ACCIDENTALLY AGREEING WITH ARTHUR
(Brett Contreras edition)

I am of the opinion that Brett Contreras unintentionally wrote a mini-thesis on Mike Mentzer's training philosophy when he put together this gem of an article.

Wherein there are these beautiful graphs, which, in my eyes, every last one of them reflects the simple paradigm presented by Jones and Mentzer and practiced by Yates. That there is some extent to which one would be benefitted, in seeking hypertrophy, by digging a deep hole and waiting long enough so that your body has time to refill that hole , and then build up over the top.

And that last bit, I think, is the most important part. The patience to wait however long the body needs to develop beyond its previous state. And it is always an unknown at the outset; exactly how long it takes someone to compensate, and then, super-compensate. And the greater the intensity the longer the wait.

1693666835565.png

ACCIDENTALLY AGREEING WITH ARTHUR
( @Adachi edition )

I actually looked back at a strange episode of muscle growth I experienced when I was doing zercher squats and I gained 20 lbs over about 4 weeks. My thighs exploded. There were ripped pants, from getting into and out my sports car. Now I have to wear stretchy dockers. I went from 225 walking around to 245. And I've been that way since.

Here's what I see in my log.
4 weeks
8 sessions
2 sets
5 reps
Added 10 lbs per session
Started at 135, went to 215.

Relatively brief, relatively infrequent, relatively intense.

At the time, and until recently, I was merely bewildered by it.

1693666890139.png

Now, I think I understand it in a way. No one can know ahead of time what numbers should be appended to each part of this graph. But the general shape and form of it is undeniable.

I would submit that erring (if only slightly) on the side of more intensity, less volume, and more days off, are likely the smarter tactics.

As Mentzer would often caveat: it's not a question of whether your training for hypertrophy should be brief intense and infrequent. But it is actually a question of how brief, how intense, and how infrequent, is best for you. Investigating how that paradigm applies to me, is my latest endeavor.

I've reduced my training to 2x per week; maybe 1x per week in the future, or more days off. maybe every 5 or 6 days instead of every 3 or 4. I'm exploring the upper reaches of my abilities with 30 rep sets. I'm delaying another session when I don't feel I'm ready; taking an extra day off to recover every so often. And, so far, my chest is bigger, my arms have grown a bit. And my favorite measurement for that has been unsolicited comments from my wife and co-workers and acquaintances. Still happening every so often. So I know I'm headed in the right direction.

I would call my hypertrophy training the slowest recomposition program ever devised. I'm the same weight as when I started, and I keep looking a little different in the mirror; in a good way. I wouldn't hold a candle to an IFBB pro, but I don't expect to after just one training cycle.

BUT ... WHY ?

A bit of candidness may be in order.

Many weeks ago we were at my son's dojo, he is practicing taekwondo.

I'm sitting next to my youngest (4) when a nice man passed by us . A ~6 foot tall ~200 lbs walking talking slab of meat. Wearing a tight fitting under armor shirt, befitting all his good work. And God bless my youngest, she grabs my arm and pulls it up and says "ok daddy, ok, daddy. Make your muscles" I flex my arm . "Awwwww.... Why is it so small?". And I chuckle in pain.

I've always trained for strength, and for ability. And I've exceeded all my own initial expectations using StrongFirst training principles and programs. At this point everything else is gravy. I've largely enjoyed continuous, uninterrupted progress for years. (Especially within the strong endurance programming). But, in that moment I was made to reckon with an important truth.

Size matters.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see where your training results go over the next few weeks.

Really interesting to read about your 2x5 Zercher squats twice a week....and the results that came from it.

A case could be made for doing this, but instead of just adding weight, manipulate weight and keep your 1-2 sets going until you reach sets of 15-20 and then increase load and drop back to 5 rep sets (which I would imagine would feel easy).

Richard

It will be interesting to see where your training results go over the next few weeks.
Post in thread 'Minimalist Hypertrophy' Strong Endurance - Minimalist Hypertrophy

Yeah I'm not super optimistic about the next several weeks. I've got some headwinds against me at this point. I'm currently shopping for where I'm going to move on to from here.

I've been on this same protocol for months. And, it's becoming more obvious that it's time to move on. But for now, it'll do.

A case could be made for doing this, but instead of just adding weight, manipulate weight and keep your 1-2 sets going until you reach sets of 15-20 and then increase load and drop back to 5 rep sets (which I would imagine would feel easy).
Sounds like triple progression with barbell might be a good thing to try.

I wouldn’t say that I disagree with Mentzer’s training ideology, or that he saw better gains with his HIT approach. I think it’s easy to forget though, that when you see a really muscular body, it’s pretty much always the result of many years of training, and also many years of different approaches.

I also think that you couldn’t introduce a beginner to HIT; you’d have to build them up to it, and you’d likely do that by putting them on a more “traditional “ routine first. In other words, I question whether you’d get the stated benefit from Mentzer’s HIT until you were able to handle heavy enough loads.

I’d like to continue the discussion but I’ll have to when I have more time!

But, in that moment I was made to reckon with an important truth.

Size matters.
Welcome to reality!

Somehow in the focus on strength training, some people got this silly idea that size didn't matter.

No. It's something that not only doesn't matter to some of us, we make a point of avoiding it. And I don't like being called silly.

I gained 20 lbs of er about 4 weeks. My thighs exploded. There were ripped pants, from getting into and out my sports car. Now I have to wear stretchy dockers. I went from 225 walking around to 245. And I've been that way since.

Size matters to whom and for what purpose?

"Size matters" is something, when perceived by non-lifters as the only way to go (and there are many who have this perception) discourages them from starting serious strength training in the first place. My strength training doesn't include a focus on hypertrohy, it doesn't include PEDs, it doesn't include a belt or knee wraps or sleeves or squat suits and bench shirts, and it doesn't include counting grams of protein intake. It's not strength training above all else. It's strength training whose higher purpose is to support of the life each of us choose to live and strives to improve.

-S-

It's strength training whose higher purpose is to support of the life each of us choose to live and strives to improve

If this is the sole goal, what purpose does your competing (and at a record setting level) factor in? Just find it interesting because I don’t think it’s common to find people who are at the highest level of a competition who don’t have the competition as their highest purpose/priority.

Exactly so. ^

My reasons may be different than Steve’s, but I am always trying to be the smallest, lightest and strongest version of myself…
No. It's something that not only doesn't matter to some of us, we make a point of avoiding it. And I don't like being called silly.

I'm 59 years old, 5'9 and 170 - and I've maintained my weight well for decades. I've no desire to do a mass program and pack on 20 pounds, if for no other reason than I don't want to have to buy a new wardrobe! However, if my wife/co-worker/friend said to me, "wow, I don't know what you're doing, but your arms are really looking great" - I wouldn't avoid what got me that compliment and I find it hard to believe anyone else would, even if meant they had gained a 4-5 pounds.

Having said that, size and muscularity don't go hand in hand. I find that when I really dial in my diet, I lean out nicely and it makes what little I have look pretty good.

If this is the sole goal, what purpose does your competing (and at a record setting level) factor in? Just find it interesting because I don’t think it’s common to find people who are at the highest level of a competition who don’t have the competition as their highest purpose/priority.
That's a fine question. Some of us like to perform in public, to have what we do witnessed and documented. In my main career as a musician, I am mostly a teacher but I feel it's important for me to perform publicly on a regular basis, and I do just that. Competing at powerlifting is a way to do the same thing. I am by no means a world-class musician, and the fact that I've set records as a powerlifter is basically a happy coincidence, but heck, it's fun to see your name in the records online, so why not?

I compete, as I said, to better my life - I'm very goal oriented as a person about just about everything, and keeping myself in powerlifting competitions gives me a goal to train for, just like having to play the organ every Sunday morning means keeping my chops sharp.

-S-

I used a "hit" protocol for several weeks/months late last year and until the end of July. It did work for me but I went a bit stale and came back to KB Strong. I'm not going to get into the "which is better" as I have found that most all programs will work if you follow them.

Well, saying one doesn't want to get bigger is fine.

But that's not what I said.

I said saying size doesn't matter is silly.

Because if size didn't matter, we wouldn't have weight classes in strength and combat sports.
Semantics - of course it can make a difference. But “matters” suggests importance to me, like “if you want to get stronger, it’s important that you get more size.”

verb
3rd person present: matters
be of importance; have significance.

-S-

Well, if I may.....size to me doesn't matter. If I gain some muscle so be it.

I've always been a blocky shaped sort so what "matters" to me is body composition.....yes, yes I know it diet, etc. But my goal is to have more muscle and be athletic and in shape.

Bodybuilding in the "Arnold" sense .....from my perspective ..... is something I have no desire to do.

If I train like crazy and gain 10 pounds of muscle and lose 10 pounds of fat, my weight would be the same but I'd look better naked. Being so jacked that I can't throw a football, baseball or a punch for that matter has no appeal to me.

Back
Top Bottom